Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RSM S650LED Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a small pump which runs just my chiller, only when needed. I found this approach more stable than taking the flow from the main pump.
Thanks, when you say more stable, what was unstable about taking from main pump, what would unstable mean in this situation.
Does this now mean you have placed a seoerate new pump somewhere in your sump (if yes whereabouts, is there a certain "best place") and do you then have a hose off this pump to the chiller in and another hose from the chiller out going back into same area of sump? Apologies for further question but I am a real novice just now.

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, when you say more stable, what was unstable about taking from main pump, what would unstable mean in this situation.
Does this now mean you have placed a seoerate new pump somewhere in your sump (if yes whereabouts, is there a certain "best place") and do you then have a hose off this pump to the chiller in and another hose from the chiller out going back into same area of sump? Apologies for further question but I am a real novice just now.
I was not able to get a steady flow from main pump back to the tank. Flow fluctuated and AI had to keep adjusting the flow valve. Having a separate pump eliminated that issue. I put the pump for chiller into main chamber on the left of sump and return line close to the main pump.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys
How do you clean your return pumps and skimmer pumps for the Red Sea Max Nano AIO?
Imo this is a real pain unscrew the eyeball and then pull the whole thing out..
same with the skimmer.. isnt there a problem with the waterlevel afterwards? Or is that doable without any issues when everything is shut off?

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@naecO rM

You can see inside the glass of auto top off, from the back, and you can service it, but I've never needed to clean it out.

Just remember, an S-Series must be at least 6" away from your wall, behind the tank.
Can you explain the why on the 6 inches at the back, please? Have you had any issues with the seals on this tank? I am stuck between the 500 and now thinking of going for the 650. Thanks for your input as I am planning on making the purchase next month.

sector9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain the why on the 6 inches at the back, please? Have you had any issues with the seals on this tank? I am stuck between the 500 and now thinking of going for the 650. Thanks for your input as I am planning on making the purchase next month.
Red Sea recommends 6” clearance from the wall so you can service the tank. The most important thing is giving yourself room to access and disassemble the drain valve. If you really want the tank closer to the wall, you can make some modifications to the plumbing so you have a valve (like a quality gate valve) down in the sump cabinet. Even if you did that, I would still recommend giving yourself enough room to reach into the back and take off the unions holding the plumbing in place.

I didn’t modify the valve on my Max S tank and I have my tank 5” from the wall and it has worked fine.

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea recommends 6” clearance from the wall so you can service the tank. The most important thing is giving yourself room to access and disassemble the drain valve. If you really want the tank closer to the wall, you can make some modifications to the plumbing so you have a valve (like a quality gate valve) down in the sump cabinet. Even if you did that, I would still recommend giving yourself enough room to reach into the back and take off the unions holding the plumbing in place.

I didn’t modify the valve on my Max S tank and I have my tank 5” from the wall and it has worked fine.
Thank you for the clarification. Can't wait to get my tank!!

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a good start for me

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a good start for me

Yikes!! :eek:

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you all putting your power bricks for the LED lights? on the 500 I have 2 down one side (dry side) and one down the other. I dont see a way to get them all into the dry compartment and I'm not a fan of laying a bunch of stuff behind the tank.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you all putting your power bricks for the LED lights? on the 500 I have 2 down one side (dry side) and one down the other. I dont see a way to get them all into the dry compartment and I'm not a fan of laying a bunch of stuff behind the tank.
Oops, not a lot of option, mine are in the back of the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine velcroed to the side of my Adaptive Reef cabinet.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enough room in my stand, but they also make a thinner board.
I'm curious how you have enough cable to get from the right LED to the cabinet with the brick in cabinet. Right now my right LED brick is like halfway down the back of my tank with the cord fully stretched. Did you terminate the junction between the brick cable and the LED cable in the above tank tray?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how you have enough cable to get from the right LED to the cabinet with the brick in cabinet. Right now my right LED brick is like halfway down the back of my tank with the cord fully stretched. Did you terminate the junction between the brick cable and the LED cable in the above tank tray?
The right LED is actually closest to the empty portion in the stand on my 750XXL - it's the left LED that's actually furthest away. The Radion G5 Blues that I purchased all had really long power cables and connectors. The connectors all reached to the cabinet without issue (I actually the longer ones bundled), and I replaced the stock EcoTech power cables with shorter 1-2' ones I found on Amazon.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah okay its the radions then, the red sea led's have short cords, I think less than a ft I think.
Yes, Radions. Can you add extensions for the Red Sea ReefLEDs? I know you can string together multiple connector cables for the ReefWaves.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Radions. Can you add extensions for the Red Sea ReefLEDs? I know you can string together multiple connector cables for the ReefWaves.
I googled and didnt see anything but im sure its some generic connector type. I'll look when I get home.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled and didnt see anything but im sure its some generic connector type. I'll look when I get home.
When Red Sea warrantied one of my ReefWave controllers they asked about placement and length and send two connector cables, so I was able to take the one ReefWave on the left that was just a bit short and combine a few cables to get a nicer length that wasn't so taut.

Back