Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone do anything to silence the circulation pumps?

I have one that is slightly noisier then the rest. I've messed around with its positioning and I went out and ought rubber feet for all of them since none shipped with my unit. Its not loud, but their is a hum and they are by far the biggest noise producers in my tank.

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has found an elegant way to plumb a UV to and from the display tank. I have an aqua 57 watt coming off the manifold now and returning to the sump but have been fighting Ostreopsis Dinos and keep getting told over and over this is not an effective way to run the UV?

____
edited to note I have Max S-650 (and yes my chiller is running from the manifold also ;-) )

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has found an elegant way to plumb a UV to and from the display tank. I have an aqua 57 watt coming off the manifold now and returning to the sump but have been fighting Ostreopsis Dinos and keep getting told over and over this is not an effective way to run the UV?

____
edited to note I have Max S-650 (and yes my chiller is running from the manifold also ;-) )
Not necessarily elegant, but I pull water from the post-filter/media chamber, run it through the UV and then into the skimmer chamber (right before the baffle sponge and return chamber).

The return flow is somewhere between 750-850Gph on my Sicce SDC 9 and I run a Sicce SDC 6 for the UV at somewhere around 625Gph - so the bulk of the water from the overflow (~75%) is running through the UV while the remainder (~25%) bypasses through the weir into the skimmer chamber.

I've seen setups where they run one return through the UV into the tank and the other directly into the tank, but this treats (at best) 50% of the flow. With the additional plumbing you also end up with one return running slower than the other or having to run a gate valve.

I prefer my setup as I can just adjust the UV flow via the Sicce SDC 6 pump remotely, it leaves the stock plumbing intact and I don't need any manifold, gate valve, etc. The only caveat is that you can't run the UV pump faster than your main return pump.

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily elegant, but I pull water from the post-filter/media chamber, run it through the UV and then into the skimmer chamber (right before the baffle sponge and return chamber).

The return flow is somewhere between 750-850Gph on my Sicce SDC 9 and I run a Sicce SDC 6 for the UV at somewhere around 625Gph - so the bulk of the water from the overflow (~75%) is running through the UV while the remainder (~25%) bypasses through the weir into the skimmer chamber.

I've seen setups where they run one return through the UV into the tank and the other directly into the tank, but this treats (at best) 50% of the flow. With the additional plumbing you also end up with one return running slower than the other or having to run a gate valve.

I prefer my setup as I can just adjust the UV flow via the Sicce SDC 6 pump remotely, it leaves the stock plumbing intact and I don't need any manifold, gate valve, etc. The only caveat is that you can't run the UV pump faster than your main return pump.
Thanks... Appreciate it...Specifically looking to take from display and return to display. From what research I can find on Ostreopsis Dinos you should be able to beat with strong UV and a 1 to 3 times turn over of UV from display to to display. (Also have whites off, blues at 40 percent, fan the rocks nightly and have been dosing Microbactor 7 and Phytofeast nightly)

Right now I have 57 watt UV taking from manifold and returning to skimmer side of sump and it is not getting the job done. I have a gate valve and flow meter and am running the UV now at 300 GPH.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can run the flow at something like 1,065Gph and still be effective against parasites (let alone algae) - so maybe the issue is turnover, ie: you’re not seeing enough. If you can, I would try doubling or even tripling your flow rate.

mahig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 'Y' splitter on the main return nozzle. This helps with the flow not disturbing the sand. For the four nozzles on the back wall it's just a case of trial and error. Fiddle around with them a bit as it will depend on your rock structure as to the best direction to point them. Don't forget to have a couple pointing towards or near the surface to create a bit of surface movement.
What fittings did you get for the return valve. I need a Y and the randomizes for my s650

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the MAX 350 G2+ and cannot find the outlet hose for the pump? Anybody own this aquarium?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the MAX 350 G2+ and cannot find the outlet hose for the pump? Anybody own this aquarium?
I don't believe it comes with one? You should be able to get some silicone or nylon tubing and clamp it in-place with either nylon zip ties or nylon clamps (you don't want metal).

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it comes with one? You should be able to get some silicone or nylon tubing and clamp it in-place with either nylon zip ties or nylon clamps (you don't want metal).
It’s just strange this tank comes with literally everything else except a way to hook yo with included pump to the included outlet

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just strange this tank comes with literally everything else except a way to hook yo with included pump to the included outlet
I guess a lot of people either hard plumb or soft plumb it, but yeah - including 2 feet of hose on the Max versions certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a lot of people either hard plumb or soft plumb it, but yeah - including 2 feet of hose on the Max versions certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.
Thank you. Red Sea also responded to my inquiry and said they don’t include it on systems 300 and up. Been excited to set this up and have fish I need to move over but have plans all weekend

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy!!

I have a RS Max-S650 and I am very happy with it. I am curious if anyone has come up with a manifold to connect the back wall pumps.

I like to have just one pump (might use a bigger one) instead of 4 pumps since the maintenance can be a bit of a pain when reaching for the pumps.

Looking forward to suggestions.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only way to attach to the outlet with hose clamps? That seems very insecure
IMG_6798.jpeg

Loraine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea @GoVols, so if anyone wants to know anything or needs help about the Max S Series aquariums just ask.

They really are stunning systems.
What type of connection is the light connection on the RSMS500, is it a C13 or C14?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Looking at picking up a used Red Sea max S-400. I’ve got a bunch of questions. Would anyone with the LED generation of the Red Sea Max S-400 be able to DM me please? Could really use one of you experts to guide me before such a big purchase. Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back