Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of it being done and can’t see any reason not to.

I can imagine just cutting the downpipe somewhere near the bottom and just installing a flow valve as you suggest.

Why they haven’t redesigned I don’t know, it’s not exactly easy to get to were it is. Infact I haven’t cleaned it ever in 3 years and would sooner buy a new tank!! Lol

If you do it make sure we get pictures! Lol

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not cleaned mine yet either. I open it fully and close it a few times every couple months to wash out any debris. I was thinking about cleaning it this month as the tank is one year now. I have not cleaned any of the pumps or return yet.:confused:

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of it being done and can’t see any reason not to.

I can imagine just cutting the downpipe somewhere near the bottom and just installing a flow valve as you suggest.

Why they haven’t redesigned I don’t know, it’s not exactly easy to get to were it is. Infact I haven’t cleaned it ever in 3 years and would sooner buy a new tank!! Lol

If you do it make sure we get pictures! Lol
I do the same, just open it fully for a minute to wash away any 'stuff' and then re-tune it back in.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not cleaned mine yet either. I open it fully and close it a few times every couple months to wash out any debris. I was thinking about cleaning it this month as the tank is one year now. I have not cleaned any of the pumps or return yet.:confused:

I open mine all the way and close it all the way, (after making my weekly water change) Then, I dial the down water line, just above "gurgling" inside the down cup.

If the down water line / bounces up and down too much:
I do have an bottle cleaning brush and clean down in there every once in awhile. Also keeping your socks clean plays a factor too.

I just run the Red Sea 225 micron nylon mesh sock and love that sock. You can rinse it clean real fast and it last a long time too.

Isaac Obel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted the reef 90 led upgrade on my 650
Couple of comments. The kit comes with 4 reef 90s. I don’t really think 4 lights are required for my planned mixed reef but maybe for full reef it is needed. Lots of light spills over the top of tank on the ends because the two outside lights are 4” from the edge of tank. I removed one light and sled the 2 on the ends inward untill the spill over of light was gone at about 11.5” from edge of tank and centered the third. For my mixed reef I think this is more than adequate.

The recessed lens is perfect because I get no glare sitting on my couch.

Not a ton of options to play with different colors. Basically blue(apparently a blend of colors but pretty much all blue) and white.

Assembly was fairly simple but the tiny screws that hold the plastic tray adapter down do not screw into the aluminum trim very easily.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone switched out the return pump to a COR-20? What parts did you need to make an easy switchout?
I like how the red sea return pump disconnects easily from the plumbing and was hoping the COR-20 could do the same.
Did you switch? Anybody? I am also interested to know, my concern is also about the flow as the RSM Sicce pump has 2500 gph and the COR-20 has 2000 gph.

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.. I thought the main return was 7000l/h. Or 1850gph before head pressure? I'll hopefully know for sure within a week when I put a glow meter on the tank and get things moving.

Edit: are the overflow teeth removable for cleaning on the max s tanks?
Yes, the weir combs can easily be removed for cleaning. Better still, buy a replacement set. They are very cheap. Then just swap them in/out as needed and let the dirty ones soak for a few days in a vinegar solution.

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.. I thought the main return was 7000l/h. Or 1850gph before head pressure? I'll hopefully know for sure within a week when I put a glow meter on the tank and get things moving.

According this info in the RS site the return pump flow is 2500 gph.
IMG_4270.jpg

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent, looking forward for the measurement. [emoji1360]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cannot remove them on my 2013 S-Series.

The removable ones, was an upgrade that came out later.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( I have one of the older ones too. At least I asked before breaking something though!

(lol)
I just use a butter knife to dig out the coralline.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According this info in the RS site the return pump flow is 2500 gph.
IMG_4270.jpg

Pancho,
That chart is counting your main pump, plus all three of your recirc pumps, for total flow.

The main pump is rated at 1850 gph.

:)

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pancho,
That chart is counting your main pump, plus all three of your recirc pumps, for total flow.

The main pump is rated at 1850 gph.

:)

Hello Freddie,

Good news! the COR-20 looks very attractive as a target to replace my pump. The other option for me could be the Sicce 9.0 with 2500 gph. [emoji1360]

Another COR-20 could do the job in the rear chamber using the reef mode for improved flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Freddie,

Good news! the COR-20 looks very attractive as a target to replace my pump. The other option for me could be the Sicce 9.0 with 2500 gph. [emoji1360]

Pancho,
I might pull the trigger on the Abyzz A100, but still waffling.... ;Nailbiting

Got till the 31rst to dive in, or not???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back