Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t want to cut the hose in case I ever decide to use the stock return I won’t have that option if the click hose fitting is cut off.

Yes, I agree I am thinking to keep the current pump as back up. Also the hose do not has as much impact on the flow as the PVC.

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, all valid points. I just bought a bigger pump ;) and dialed it down via Apex. I am running about 90% @50W and getting 500 gph through the sump, and that is a plenty. Factory drain and return pipes can't take much more. When I turned both of my pumps together, I topped little aver 600 gph.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vangvace
Lets us know which way you go.

Your S-650 manifold should be ready fit (turn valve and barb) to push a chiller or UV, but on the newer 650s, I think Red Sea plugged off that end of the manifold.
On the S650 the main pump is not powerful enough (without having a major effect on return flow) to attach anything to the extra (long) manifold at the rear of the tank

Mine is the 2016 version so it has the manifold and I was going to do exactly that, with a UVC etc. I spoke to Kevin at Red Sea who confirmed what I’ve said above, and if you read the instructions with the tank, it mentions it’s fine in the 400 and 500 but not the 650.

So I think as you said above, you really need an extra dedicated pump, or more powerful return

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vangvace
Lets us know which way you go.

Your S-650 manifold should be ready fit (turn valve and barb) to push a chiller or UV, but on the newer 650s, I think Red Sea plugged off that end of the manifold.
I think Red Sea actually recommend that you do NOT run water to the Chiller via the manifold on an S-650.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Red Sea actually recommend that you do NOT run water to the Chiller via the manifold on an S-650.

Yeah,
They did change that on the 650.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the unverified flow numbers are in. 350-400 gph though the line with the stock pump.

Caveats:
Additional head pressure from:​
Flow goes pump>silicone tubing>2" UV unit>silicone tubing>barbfitting>thread to slip>union>sensor>stock Red Sea Manifold>VCA 2 outlet random flow generator.​
The pump barn fittings still have the 1/2" portions on them.​
*Edit:I do not know the age of the return pump and its parts. *​
I haven't completed the math for what my head loss should be.​
I want to recheck my electrical connections and make sure they aren't loose.​

I might try a Varios8 or taking the UV out of line to see what happens to my numbers.

My new pump came in today. Not nearly as sexy as an Abyss, but the Sicce ADV 7.0 increased my GPH by about 150-200 over the stock pump. Attached is how it flows.

img_20190802_120746-jpg.1150530

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Last summer Red Sea USA helped to make the Abyzz return go smooth as silk.

If you have any updates, please fill free to post.

Hope you are doing well.

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying a S-650 Max second-hand. It is the older style with T5 lighting. Has actually never been used believe it or not! Do any of you know if the RSK 900 skimmer will fit in this older style sump? Red Sea website says that RSK 900 will fit in the reactor chamber for the newer 650, but wondering if the answer would be different for the older style. Thanks!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying a S-650 Max second-hand. It is the older style with T5 lighting. Has actually never been used believe it or not! Do any of you know if the RSK 900 skimmer will fit in this older style sump? Red Sea website says that RSK 900 will fit in the reactor chamber for the newer 650, but wondering if the answer would be different for the older style. Thanks!

Congrats!!

lol
Never been used!!

Looks like the new ones come with the 900

And the sump chamber sizes have stayed the same. They just added a filter sock piece where the down pipes come down.

You can still use that part of the manifold that fed the old C-Skim, to push reactors.

FWIW:
If you take it led, keep that 10 bulb t5 canopy. You can grow any acro in any spot of that tank with that canopy.

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!!

lol
Never been used!!

Looks like the new ones come with the 900

And the sump chamber sizes have stayed the same. They just added a filter sock piece where the down pipes come down.

You can still use that part of the manifold that fed the old C-Skim, to push reactors.

FWIW:
If you take it led, keep that 10 bulb t5 canopy. You can grow any acro in any spot of that tank with that canopy.

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking of keeping the t5s and spending money on a better skimmer and doser etc. Are you saying to 10xT5 would be great for SPS or only if I somehow retrofit with additional LEDs?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking of keeping the t5s and spending money on a better skimmer and doser etc. Are you saying to 10xT5 would be great for SPS or only if I somehow retrofit with additional LEDs?

That 10 bulb t5 canopy is all you'll need to grow any coral that you want.

If I ever go back to a full blown acro reef, I would most likely put that canopy back on.

Good luck and hope you land that setup!!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sm1823

FWIW:
If your going to run the t5's on that 650, don't be surprised that you'll need a chiller.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run RSK-600 in my S650 sump. Will fit right in with plenty of room for other stuff.

Ivan,
Thanks for the incite.

Have you been doing well?

Freddie

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ivan,
Thanks for the incite.

Have you been doing well?

Freddie
It's been up and down as always in this hobby. Fought algae sprawl with success, but everything is back to normal. Dealing with dossing pumps not dossing sometimes ;(. Setup RedSea 250 for my wife and slowly starting to stack up. Trying to switch from Nopox to bio-pellets reactor. Otherwise, having bunch of fun. ;)

Tdukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Max S-650 that I wish to add a chiller. I have read that it is recommended not to plumb it off of the manifold like the smaller tanks as the “pump is not strong enough”. Could I just install a larger pump and then be able to plumb off the manifold?

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Max S-650 that I wish to add a chiller. I have read that it is recommended not to plumb it off of the manifold like the smaller tanks as the “pump is not strong enough”. Could I just install a larger pump and then be able to plumb off the manifold?
You could by moving up to a Sicce ADV9000 pump but I would recommend a pump rated for the gph of the chiller or a dc controllable one. It is easier than trying to get the flow settings correct and there is a possibility of the larger pump still being too much for the display.

I run a Varios2 into my chiller and the chiller output then goes into my algae scrubber.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back