• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting peoples opinions

Im getting ready to start setting up my 120g mixed reef. Im purchasing everything I would possibly need before the set up. I have carbon / GFO reactors that will be offline and on standby, Neptune Apex with WAV, bubble magus dosing pump, BRS 2 part, Tunze ATO...

My main question...

I was planning on using Red Sea color trace elements and there reef energy line (already purchased)... but now im second guessing thinking about using Polyp Lab products...Reef Roid, RF- Acids, RF-Plus, Colors, ReFuel

lets see what you all think!

Thanks for your imput

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can comment on the coral food part as I currently use the Red Sea coral colours and reef energy and I’ve also used the reef roids and there all good.

I just found the reef roids quiet expensive for what you get in comparison to how long the Reef Energy lasts.

For my tank it was a teaspoon of reef roids every time, and the pot wasn’t very big at all for what it costs.

I buy the 500ml bottles of reef energy A and B and they last months

As to which is better, that’s difficult as they both seem to work and I can’t give any scientific evidence either way. But I would use either and it’s just the economics that keeps me on Reef Energy.

Just my thoughts and it will be interesting to see what others say

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix my reef roids into red sea energy a+b
That’s a great idea!

Just thinking about this further, and a combination of a variation in diet etc for the corals, could you use say 50% of the reef energy up out of the bottles and then add some reef roids to it and top it up with RODI water ?

Just thinking ‘out loud’ so to speak

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning toward the red sea for the aspect of the size bottles and cost on how long it would last. Then hearing the hype on reef roids I was contemplating the bandwagon so to speak.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great idea!

Just thinking about this further, and a combination of a variation in diet etc for the corals, could you use say 50% of the reef energy up out of the bottles and then add some reef roids to it and top it up with RODI water ?

Just thinking ‘out loud’ so to speak
never thought about that im about half way done with my bottles.

sometimes ill spot feed with julians thing if i got the time if not i jus dump it in.

i keep the reef energy in the fridge. i use around 10ml of each and mix it into a cup with reef roids no tank water.

ill feed that 20ml spot feeding or ill just dump it in the tank with wavemakers on and return off for an hour or two then i let the skimmer pull the rest out

Mike's R33f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never thought about that im about half way done with my bottles.

sometimes ill spot feed with julians thing if i got the time if not i jus dump it in.

i keep the reef energy in the fridge. i use around 10ml of each and mix it into a cup with reef roids no tank water.

ill feed that 20ml spot feeding or ill just dump it in the tank with wavemakers on and return off for an hour or two then i let the skimmer pull the rest out
I’ve seen several people doing this. Question, how much are and how often are you Dosing and on what size tank? I’m trying to do this and get the right amount dialed in in my reefer 250 (65 g)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen several people doing this. Question, how much are and how often are you Dosing and on what size tank? I’m trying to do this and get the right amount dialed in in my reefer 250 (65 g)
I use A&B and I use wayyyy less than recommended. And only once a week. Prepare for an algae explosion.

Mike's R33f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use A&B and I use wayyyy less than recommended. And only once a week. Prepare for an algae explosion.
Yea same, I’ve been doing 5ml of each every time I spot feed corals (twice a week). No algae yet but also no sign of progress due to the reef energy so I’m curious if it’s enough

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea same, I’ve been doing 5ml of each every time I spot feed corals (twice a week). No algae yet but also no sign of progress due to the reef energy so I’m curious if it’s enough
I had dinos take off and lots of random algae. I had the cleanest tank for the longest time until using this. I still use but more carefully now. If it grows algae, I know it’s good for corals though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back