Red Sea Overflow leaking at the bulkhead. Is there a fix?

DavidBearWeber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank. 425 RS. Overflow is leaking. Another post I read said Red Sea thinks silicone is bad and just do it your self or wait three weeks for the parts. Anyone used silicone to fix? I would assume you would silicone the area, at the bulkhead, inside the cabinet?

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leaked a while ago and it turned out to be the orings, they made upgraded o-rings that are red. That fixed my problem.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t silicone anything. Did you assemble everything or was it done for you? There are O rings that might be rolled or torn. You can find similar replacement O rings at Ace or true value hardware stores. Also make sure you assembled all the pipes tightly Too.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In assembling pipes, when tightening them down you should hear 3-4 clicks of the ratchet teeth engaging. I did this on my E-260 and haven't had any issues. With this engagement, you can't take them apart without breaking the pipe.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t silicone anything. Did you assemble everything or was it done for you? There are O rings that might be rolled or torn. You can find similar replacement O rings at Ace or true value hardware stores. Also make sure you assembled all the pipes tightly Too.

+1

@DavidBearWeber - @AZMSGT has had experience with this on a Red Sea tank so his advice is definitely worth listening to on this issue. I would also second the comment about not using silicone. Good luck!

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same bud,
order a full oring kit, it’s only £7 and change them all, turn the return pump off, let the dt water drain down then take a bucket load extra from the dt and siphon the weir out then you can change them.
dont over tighten them,
20191221_100007.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back