Red Sea Peninsula 500 (V3) Sump Refugium Placement

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. Me again. I'm very thankful for all the great advise you guys/girls have imparted to me so far and have another question I'm hoping someone can advise me in the right direction.
For those with the Red Sea Peninsula 500 tanks and have a refugium setup in it.
The manufacturer recommends to place the Refugium right after the Filter Socks area and before the Skimmer section. From my research and limited knowledge, it is suggested to place the Refugium right before the return pump but that is not how Red Sea has the sump setup. Just wanted to know if it matters at all or should I follow the manufacture's suggestion.
Thank you in advance.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m in the progress of setting up my RSR 500P and in the same door orientation as yours.

I had the same concern as you have, and I have subscribed to the TRITON METHOD way of running the drain directly into the DIY Algae Turf Scrubber then to the Skimmer. I chose to run sockless, but to fill the 4 filter cups with SEACHEM MATRIX, with the flexibility to fill those cups with GFO or CARBON if needed. There is no right or wrong way, just do whatever suits you.

65873E1A-FF70-411B-AB64-5AD2A60C6DFB.jpeg

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, running my configuration, I managed to free up the chamber before my return pump, which I used it as my frag holding tank.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m in the progress of setting up my RSR 500P and in the same door orientation as yours.

I had the same concern as you have, and I have subscribed to the TRITON METHOD way of running the drain directly into the DIY Algae Turf Scrubber then to the Skimmer. I chose to run sockless, but to fill the 4 filter cups with SEACHEM MATRIX, with the flexibility to fill those cups with GFO or CARBON if needed. There is no right or wrong way, just do whatever suits you.

65873E1A-FF70-411B-AB64-5AD2A60C6DFB.jpeg
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm actually following your build thread.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm actually following your build thread.
Thanks a lot. Sharing the following pictures here first, before posting on my build thread.
I’ve inverted the stock glass screen to allow more processing time for the suspended oils in the skimmer chamber, or at least that’s what I‘ve gathered from the TRITON METHOD sump layout too. And the frag rack is raised deliberately to incorporate 2 BRIGHTWELL BRICKS. I’m putting bio media wherever possible. Having taken many cues from the TRITON METHOD sump, I’m not dosing CORE 7 but running a Calcium Reactor instead. Cheers!

B8AE221D-EACE-4B32-B2D4-E5A0F5D69941.jpeg

3C47F3A6-C502-4F8A-BE58-B1EDE516FDD6.jpeg
99865C82-BFBC-4F02-B0E5-A4036A3612B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back