Red Sea Pro can I switch to a lower alk salt later? Gameplan?

Wfduncan89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try and keep it to the point. So the only salt locally available to me is instant ocean and red sea pro... Not really knowing much I went with the red sea pro for a 25 gallon thinking that it would "help" me with just doing weekly water changes and not dosing. Well more or less so far so good...in that tank, lots of coral growth with hammers, montis, favia, a green slimers, and zoas. Then I found a good deal on bulk red sea pro, so I stocked up on it. Now I have red sea 350 in addition to the 25, and I have been using the same salt, but I have since learned a little more about high alk systems...fast growth, bit more finicky. I'm not sure I want to stay with the high alk salt(red sea pro is like 11.5dkh), so I'm trying to come up with a game plan on, and with that in mind here are my questions:

• First, my phosphates are not registering on my salifert test kit, so I picked up some brightwell neophos to bring up my phos and ordered a hanna ulr phos tester. Is this the correct course of action to bring my phos up to level with a high alk system? Will I need to or should I do anything else?
  • Second, if I manage to run a high alk system for a while, can I switch to instant ocean or order red sea blue later on after I use up some of the pro salt? and if my coral is growing well, would there be any benefits to switching to a lower alk salt more in line with the "norm"?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back