Red Sea Reef Energy ab+

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is supposed to. However, you might also benefit from live phytoplankton, reef roids (or coral frenzy or benepets).

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the need for it for soft corals. Typically they don’t require too much. I assume the main part of AB+ is the aminos. They can get this from simply just feeding your fish. The rest is carbs and vitamins. I used to dose either part A or B before they combined into one - I used the one with aminos only and dosed daily. It really does attribute to algae growth if you use it as recommended. So Red Sea wants you to use their whole line of products including nopox (carbon dosing) to control algae... if that does the job properly.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the need for it for soft corals. Typically they don’t require too much. I assume the main part of AB+ is the aminos. They can get this from simply just feeding your fish. The rest is carbs and vitamins. I used to dose either part A or B before they combined into one - I used the one with aminos only and dosed daily. It really does attribute to algae growth if you use it as recommended. So Red Sea wants you to use their whole line of products including nopox (carbon dosing) to control algae... if that does the job properly.

One of the problems with red sea is their instructions assume you follow their entire program and run ultra low nitrate and phosphate.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the problems with red sea is their instructions assume you follow their entire program and run ultra low nitrate and phosphate.

Interesting. I've been dosing AB+ at the recommended dose but every second day. I don't use any other products. I've been struggling with GHA and yoyo-ing phosphates between 0.1 and 0.2 ppm. I've had to start dosing N as that was getting very close to 0. I may take a break from AB+ and see if there's any improvement.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree @ScottR > I found out the hard way by using the recommended AB+ dosage daily and now i am in the middle of a battle of dino....I had to stop using the AB+ and use only HALF of what they recommend and now I am trying to dose it only twice a week instead of the daily dosage they want you to do...

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've been dosing AB+ at the recommended dose but every second day. I don't use any other products. I've been struggling with GHA and yoyo-ing phosphates between 0.1 and 0.2 ppm. I've had to start dosing N as that was getting very close to 0. I may take a break from AB+ and see if there's any improvement.

If you just need nitrogen, consider a purely amino acid based mix (like brightwell koral amino, acropower, etc.).

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree @ScottR > I found out the hard way by using the recommended AB+ dosage daily and now i am in the middle of a battle of dino....I had to stop using the AB+ and use only HALF of what they recommend and now I am trying to dose it only twice a week instead of the daily dosage they want you to do...

What are your phosphate levels at? Typically dinos appear when you have 0.00 or so phosphates, which would be the opposite if reef energy was creating excess waste.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate levels at? Typically dinos appear when you have 0.00 or so phosphates, which would be the opposite if reef energy was creating excess waste.
When I tested it last week b4 i started this live bacteria and peroxide treatment... 0.18 Phosphates and Nitrates were 4.26 using Hanna Checkers...6 Days later they are GONE Corals are opened back up; thx for the tip @vetteguy53081

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested it last week b4 i started this live bacteria and peroxide treatment... 0.18 Phosphates and Nitrates were 4.26 using Hanna Checkers...6 Days later they are GONE Corals are opened back up; thx for the tip @vetteguy53081
Did I miss something. Can't find the advice given?

So just to clarify, you had high nutrients at it was the bacteria and peroxide or the lack of AB+ dosing that led them to drop to 0?

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss something. Can't find the advice given?

So just to clarify, you had high nutrients at it was the bacteria and peroxide or the lack of AB+ dosing that led them to drop to 0?
No, I was responding to his question, what were my phosphates while I was using the ReefAB+ daily. I havn't checked in 6 days, since I started to use the Live Bacteria dn Peroxide treatment...but visible on the sand bed or rocks, the DINOS are gone and none are one the glass...GONE and the corals are now opened up now...

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Benepets? I am trying their Benereef product because reefroids increased my phosphates even with less than recommended dose and spot feeding. The corals seem to love benepets but i have not tested since i tried it this morning and the tank got cloudy for about 20 minutes then cleared up. Will test the water in a bit

Back