Red Sea "Reef Spec" Carbon - Review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a free sample in my last Blue Bucket salt mix.

So it came with a nice draw string bag that lets in good water flow.

Figured I'd give it a go and placed it in the media area of my sump. between the RS carbon and my purigen reactor it was over kill.

Bottom line: This is a great product and very close to ROX.

I don't run carbon anymore but if it's cheaper than ROX then pull the trigger.

Regards, GoVols

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bag in my RS coral pro bucket of salt. I used it for a month, just tossed the bag in the sump. After I rinsed it of course. I haven't set up any other carbon media since.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bag in my RS coral pro bucket of salt. I used it for a month, just tossed the bag in the sump. After I rinsed it of course. I haven't set up any other carbon media since.
I only ran it for a few hours with my purigen reactor but it's a top notch carbon.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't compare it to anything, unfortunately... But it did keep nitrates under 10ppm in a new reef. I actually have been thinking of setting up carbon and GFO reactor as NOPOX(glorified vodka dosing) had caused a red cyano outbreak. I would not be opposed to using the reef spec carbon, I'd just have to watch my tang carefully for HLLE. It seemed like a pretty hard carbon so I don't think it would be a problem with proper micron filter to prevent dust getting into the tank.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't compare it to anything, unfortunately... But it did keep nitrates under 10ppm in a new reef. I actually have been thinking of setting up carbon and GFO reactor as NOPOX(glorified vodka dosing) had caused a red cyano outbreak. I would not be opposed to using the reef spec carbon, I'd just have to watch my tang carefully for HLLE. It seemed like a pretty hard carbon so I don't think it would be a problem with proper micron filter to prevent dust getting into the tank.
I was able to get away from carbon dosing with GFO and Purigen reactors and my GHA/Cyano days are long gone.

With the Purigen I don't have to worry about HLLE.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With proper rinsing and making sure the carbon doesn't tumble will prevent any dusting.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper rinsing and making sure the carbon doesn't tumble will prevent any dusting.
Agree with the above :rolleyes:

And the only reason that I'm not using a high grade carbon is because if I did with the Purigen reactor, then all of my organics would be completely stripped away. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back