OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight’s a super worm moon... I hope I don’t find any super worms!! When I emptied out the 10 gallon I found a nasty bobbit worm. It was sick and looked like it was straight out of the alien movie. *shudders* :rolleyes:
On a more calming thought...
Here’s a pic of the tank tonight with the moonlight at a full moon setting. It’s bright, but the fish still seem to know it’s time for sleep.

It’s really relaxing to watch the tank and see all the colors. I should also be asleep but I keep staring at the tank watching the clowns wiggle in the anemone. I’m also wondering if I should feed the new scoly or give him a day to adjust. I’ll probably wait until I see some feeder tentacles out telling me it’s hungry. Am I just imaging it or has the Acropora grown already...

We really do have a fascinating hobby! I need to go to bed!

The first picture is with no filter the second has the orange gel filter on.
CE6EFDE8-E18E-46A3-9B1A-035099339F98.jpeg
189158D8-C9FB-4EF1-B30E-538439148849.jpeg

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some other pictures to give everyone else some love.

Bill and his nem. The mrs usually makes him sleep on the couch...aka the sunny Ds
1CF94620-0074-41C9-B721-B914FFD0F23D.jpeg

“Toxic table” acro frag and the free purple monti cap + cleaner shrimp
7485C0B1-636C-4054-8616-4E9FDD05C615.jpeg

Sunny D zoanthids
12DE0FA9-8C33-4600-94AA-5DD441E1398B.jpeg

full tank shot (the light is currently at 30% intensity - still in acclimation) I also picked up the DIY Red Sea reefer screen top. I’ll put that together soon and switch out the white egg crate.
45CD79FE-CD1A-409A-8237-AB1469136C4F.jpeg

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some dendros in the 10 gallon that we’re doing great... up until the pistol shrimp completely buried them. I 100% thought they were gone. Then when I moved everything over I found the tiniest bit of orange left in the skeleton. I’ve been pulling this guy out every night and feeding it a tiny amount of food and I think it’s going to make it!
B1059E63-33DE-4B71-8457-F8E53A875E8A.jpeg

Talhamalik9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. First post in desperation! Ihave just purchased a RSR 300XL in the UK
I want to change the 16mm return hosetail to a 20mm one to reduce flow resistance/restriction.
Can someone tell me what fitting i need to screw onto the RSR return pipe please?

On the other side i will add a new 20mm hosetail.

Please help!

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. First post in desperation! Ihave just purchased a RSR 300XL in the UK
I want to change the 16mm return hosetail to a 20mm one to reduce flow resistance/restriction.
Can someone tell me what fitting i need to screw onto the RSR return pipe please?

On the other side i will add a new 20mm hosetail.

Please help!
Hey @Talhamalik9 I’m not sure! Maybe try posting in the DIY or hardware section for help? You probably don’t want my help because I have no experience (yet!) with the reefer plumbing. Good luck my friend! :D

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to make an attempt to put together the Red Sea reefer diy top. I’m not the most confident in my DIY skills so I’m a little nervous about messing it up. I’ve watched a few videos on how to put it together and it doesn’t seem to hard. I’m just going to go slow, measure three times and cut once and be careful when putting the spline. Pics coming soon when I finish - even if it’s a disaster! You’re along for the ride :D
D2BD7A09-D649-4D76-BE7F-7FD2D326A28A.jpeg

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also prepping water today for water changes and RODI top off. I know I’m late to the party on getting an RODI unit, but this thing is a game changer. It is so convenient to make water at home and not have to run out and grab distilled water or lug a 5 gallon container to the LFS to buy saltwater. If you’re on the fence on whether you want to get an RODI unit or not, do your future self a favor and invest in one!

Ah, the sweet satisfaction of 0 TDS RODI water!:D This is why I’m thankful for R2R! Most of my friends would think I’ve lost my mind if I bragged about making water!
3AEB7FA0-7805-435A-A8BA-13B6A0878DE8.jpeg

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I want to start by thanking everyone on this forum for all the helpful advice and wisdom your shared over the years! I’ve been in the hobby for about 12 years now and I’ve learned so much along the way. I’ve made some mistakes (too much live rock anyone?) and have had some really great success as well, so I thought I’d share my latest build with you all in the hopes that maybe I’ll inspire someone else or get some helpful feedback from my fellow reefing hobbyists. So here we go!

I currently have a 10 gallon innovative marine all in one tank that I started out as my “little hobby experiment”. I’m in a one bedroom apartment so I don’t have a ton of space. I thought to myself, “10 gallons is perfect! It’s small enough to not be too much maintenance and it won’t take up much space. It’ll be fun. I won’t overstock the tank- maybe only one fish. Maybe two, max! And I’ll only get a few easy corals.” Ha. Boy was I naive. I should have known myself better... I started this 10 gallon tank with two percula clowns. Their names are Bill and Sookie. At first I was going to resist the temptation to get an anemone for the clowns. That didn’t last long though. So the tank had two clowns and a rose BTA. The clowns loved their anemone and took to it pretty quickly and that was awesome. It’s always fun to watch them wiggle around in the anemone tentacles. I wanted some more color in the tank so then I added a dwarf angel, named Lady Mary. I also wanted someone to occupy the bottom part of the tank so I got a goby and pistol shrimp pair. I know the tank is crowded but I also planned on the tank to only be temporary. I just couldn’t let the significant other know that was the plan all along ;)

Here’s a picture of the 10 gallon:

7C9CFF7C-3938-44B0-9FBB-F9624ED88C01.jpeg

Lady Mary with Sunny D zoa:
B7FF1BA0-23F4-4117-9128-9E68A79AE5AB.jpeg

Fast forward a few years later and it’s time for an upgrade! The clowns need a new home!

Ive been eyeing the Red Sea Reefer 170and 250 for a while. They look super clean and sleek. I’ve always had very DIY tanks and I’ve loved building my own plumbing, sumps, etc.. but this time I want to just have a clean easy to look at tank. These tanks really look like art: they’re modern and gorgeous.

I wanted to get the biggest tank I could with the space I have available so I wanted to go with the 250 but it would just be too big for my space. So the 170 it is. As I did more research I stumbled across the Red Sea Reefer 200xl. It seemed like the perfect compromise for me. It’s just a little bit deeper and taller than the 170, but the same length. The extra depth and height gives the system volume extra 10 gallons. More water = just a little bit more stable system. The depth gives a little more room for aquascaping, so that’s also a plus. I also really liked the idea that the 200xl has a cabinet made of plywood. So I placed the order for the tank with the white cabinet and waited patiently for a week for it to arrive. That week felt like an eternity because I was so excited for the upgrade!
Here it is- thankfully it was packaged really well and nothing was broken!!!
1F05E233-81E4-43A2-88D3-CCCF5D9E7D55.jpeg

C75C2236-4583-4276-9C9B-F113A8DC1E3C.jpeg

CB7AC608-0AEE-48BF-96F6-28A296322597.jpeg

Hi! we are about to buy a 170 but just discovered the 200 xl and fell in love with it, we are moving to a third floor apt, i was wondering if you live on a first floor apt or a different floor , we just not sure if the tank may be too heavy/big to be on an apt that is not ground floor. Thank you! and beautiful tank!

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! we are about to buy a 170 but just discovered the 200 xl and fell in love with it, we are moving to a third floor apt, i was wondering if you live on a first floor apt or a different floor , we just not sure if the tank may be too heavy/big to be on an apt that is not ground floor. Thank you! and beautiful tank!
Hey, thanks so much! I really appreciate the kind words! I’m on the first floor, but it’s only 10 extra gallons. I’m not responsible for any damages, but what’s an extra 80 pounds, right?! I’ve seen plenty of other people put 55 gallon tanks on the second floor with no issues. Honestly I was sold on the solid plywood cabinet instead of the particle board. The extra inch in depth and height was just a bonus. I love the tank and I’d highly recommend the 200 if that’s what you’re leaning towards. I’m happy to help with any questions you have too! Good luck!

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confession: I got lazy and didn’t build the DIY lid today. I did pick up some Hanna alkalinity and calcium calorimeters though! I was using a titration kit before but I never really trusted it. “Is that blue yet? No, I think that’s still purple. Maybe just a drop more. Closer? Hmm maybe one more drop?” This is usually how my testing went. Would you want me to test your water? I certainly wouldn’t! These Hanna testers will hold me over for a while and they’re definitely easier to use than the titration color changing tests.

I’d love to get the GHL KH Director but I’ve been officially put on a budget. I’m starting to get questioned on every purchase and I’m starting to sneak things in!

“I only got a calcium test kit so your zoanthids can grow faster!”:cool:
448A18EB-563E-4E0C-9B51-4113E678648C.jpeg

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, I actually just bought the same tank (in black). Came in on Monday, I like it just the same. My ATO also lasts about 3ish days. Not ready to do a full review but I am happy so far. If anyone is interested in getting one I ordered mine online in late February. It took a while to deliver due to the coronavirus, apparently it is effecting the supply of tanks. So keep that in mind.

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m impressed with how quiet this tank is. The loudest part is actually the vortechs when they ramp up in reef crest random. The tank is almost whisper quiet which is awesome. I downloaded a free decibel app and sat about 2 feet from the tank (with the cabinet door closed). Looks like the average decibel rating is 40.6, similar to a quiet whisper. It is whisper quiet!

D90766A2-E040-4ECA-9E20-F2816574CDC0.png

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, I actually just bought the same tank (in black). Came in on Monday, I like it just the same. My ATO also lasts about 3ish days. Not ready to do a full review but I am happy so far. If anyone is interested in getting one I ordered mine online in late February. It took a while to deliver due to the coronavirus, apparently it is effecting the supply of tanks. So keep that in mind.
Welcome @KTrevino - looking forward to to seeing your tank progress!

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confession: I got lazy and didn’t build the DIY lid today. I did pick up some Hanna alkalinity and calcium calorimeters though! I was using a titration kit before but I never really trusted it. “Is that blue yet? No, I think that’s still purple. Maybe just a drop more. Closer? Hmm maybe one more drop?” This is usually how my testing went. Would you want me to test your water? I certainly wouldn’t! These Hanna testers will hold me over for a while and they’re definitely easier to use than the titration color changing tests.

I’d love to get the GHL KH Director but I’ve been officially put on a budget. I’m starting to get questioned on every purchase and I’m starting to sneak things in!

“I only got a calcium test kit so your zoanthids can grow faster!”:cool:
448A18EB-563E-4E0C-9B51-4113E678648C.jpeg
Yes my wife went through my bank account yesterday. Not good!

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Really impressed with how quickly your new system has taken off!! It look soooo clean. I read your post about how you cycled - awesome! I'm ready to get into this hobby - have a 2yo daughter who wants a "Nemo" tank :) I've been on the fence between Red Sea and Waterbox for about a month now. Looking at the Red Sea 300XL, mainly because it is available and the WB systems aren't due until "late spring". This thread i think has me convinced to pull the trigger and get it going with Red Sea!! I hope to avoid any dumb mistakes in the beginning and have enjoyed reading this thread to-date. That said and knowing you've done this for 12 years, can I go wrong with the Red Sea Reefer 300 XL and Caribsea Liferock (surely no hitchhikers can live on this?)? I have no local fish store, so everything will have to be sourced, researched and purchased online...how would you cycle without access to quality live rock/sand?

Would love to hear any pointers you may give a newbie?

And I'm eager to sea more pics of your progress! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Really impressed with how quickly your new system has taken off!! It look soooo clean. I read your post about how you cycled - awesome! I'm ready to get into this hobby - have a 2yo daughter who wants a "Nemo" tank :) I've been on the fence between Red Sea and Waterbox for about a month now. Looking at the Red Sea 300XL, mainly because it is available and the WB systems aren't due until "late spring". This thread i think has me convinced to pull the trigger and get it going with Red Sea!! I hope to avoid any dumb mistakes in the beginning and have enjoyed reading this thread to-date. That said and knowing you've done this for 12 years, can I go wrong with the Red Sea Reefer 300 XL and Caribsea Liferock (surely no hitchhikers can live on this?)? I have no local fish store, so everything will have to be sourced, researched and purchased online...how would you cycle without access to quality live rock/sand?

Would love to hear any pointers you may give a newbie?

And I'm eager to sea more pics of your progress! Keep up the good work!
Hey @DothanReefer thanks a lot! I’m glad you’re enjoying the build! I don’t think you can go wrong with the reefer or water box. I’ve read great things about both.

I haven’t used the caribsea rock so I just did a quick search on it. I like the color of it but I’m curios how dense the rock is. I personally like to make sure there’s lots of holes and crevices for fish and the critters to use. I’m pretty sure you’re safe that no hitchhikers are coming in with that rock! The only hitchhiker you may find is a cricket ;)

My tank is super clean at the moment.. almost too clean, if there is such a thing! The white rocks will eventually get covered with coraline algae and look just like the caribsea rocks. The tank is always more stabile when everything is mature and you’ve got a little ecosystem going.

Speaking of getting an ecosystem going... you can definitely set up a tank without live rock. It may take a little longer to cycle, but tons of people have done it. Patience is the most important skill in this hobby. :DYou’ll hear that a lot and that the only thing that happens fast are bad things. It’s so true. I’ve learned that lesson the hard way and I wish I would have learned and read more before jumping in. For my first tank I used the damsel fish method for cycling the tank. It’s what the LFS store told me to do at the time and I trusted that advice. The little guy struggled, and fortunately made it, but it was obviously very stressful. In hindsight, it’s really cruel and there are better ways to cycle a tank. ;Yuck

I’d search around here on R2R for some recommendations on how to cycle the tank. I’m pretty sure you can buy the bacteria or ask a local hobbyist for some rock to seed the tank. I’m sure if you asked, you'd have plenty of folks here willing to mail you some rock too! You definitely don’t need a LFS to have a reef tank. I just ordered corals from California and I’m in Minnesota. Getting those “nemos” is just a few clicks and credit card away! Keep us posted and share pictures as you go! Best of luck!

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve been putting off the lid because I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that I’m going to mess this up. Forcing myself to do it now. Wish me luck. I’m going to need it!
FDC37FD2-45FD-4064-8C91-8029BE72E2FA.jpeg

OP
OP
monti mike

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright first surprise... the reefer 200 cutting dimensions are NOT in the instructions. An unexpected challenge but nothing I can’t overcome ;)
88C12DF9-1CD1-4CF2-90DF-65963DCB9C52.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back