Red Sea Reefer 250 and Triton Sump - nothing fits!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by ThunderGoose, May 26, 2018.

1. ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose Well-Known Member

After a year and a half of struggling with my reef tank (I can't seem to keep even easy corals alive for more than a few months) I've decided to go Full Triton. It was either that or set up a daily small water change system and I think The Husband would kill me if I drilled holes in the hardwood floor to run a pipe to and from the basement. Of course if he'd let me re-arrange the living room furniture and I put the tank on an inside wall...

Anyway I have a RSR 250 with a usable area of 33 inches X 15 inches for a sump. That's assuming I can move all of the other equipment out or to a shelf or something.

The sump that came with the RSR is perfectly nice BUT I don't have a large enough refugium. I'm using the ATO tank for macroalgae and it only hold around 2 gallons. I do have a compartment that is just about large enough but it's where my skimmer sits.

I'm not good at DIY so I was hoping to find a ready-made Triton style sump that would fit my stand. I can't find any. Besides getting a bigger tank (or stand, see above re Husband killing me) does anyone have any ideas? I guess there's just not enough demand for Triton style sumps on "small" tanks.

Thanks!

2. mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

ThunderGoose and Scurvy like this.
  3. Scurvy

Scurvy Pirate Reefer R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Exactly what i was going to link ;)

mrpizzaface and ThunderGoose like this.
  4. ThunderGoose

Awesome. Thanks, I knew if it was out there someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

Scurvy likes this.
  5. Scurvy

Scurvy Pirate Reefer R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Synergy might also have one that fits. Cant rememeber off hand.

6. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

He's a sponsor here, tagging him @Crystal Reef Aquatics if you have questions. I just ordered a regular Triton sump from him. Eagerly awaiting delivery

ThunderGoose and Scurvy like this.
  7. Crystal Reef Aquatics

Crystal Reef Aquatics Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

I'm happy to answer any questions!

HolisticBear and ThunderGoose like this.
  8. DarthSimon

DarthSimon Aquarium Control Center R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

This is my sump for my Reefer 250:

[​IMG]

9. ThunderGoose

@DarthSimon I wish I could run a sump in a closet or basement or garage but unfortunately there's not an easy way for me to do that. If I could I would run it into the basement and set up my currently unused 55 as a sump. Or a frag tank that's in the same loop as the display and the sump.... hmmmm.... Maybe The Husband won't notice if I set everything up while he's gone... How can I get him out of the house long enough to drill a hole in the floor... ;):D

@Crystal Reef Aquatics Thanks for the offer. I ordered a sump and I'll be sure to let you know if I have any questions once it's arrived.

HolisticBear likes this.
  10. Crystal Reef Aquatics

Great! Thanks for your business!

11. Crystal Reef Aquatics

There you go!

Draft saved Draft deleted