Red Sea Reefer 250 and Triton Sump - nothing fits!

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year and a half of struggling with my reef tank (I can't seem to keep even easy corals alive for more than a few months) I've decided to go Full Triton. It was either that or set up a daily small water change system and I think The Husband would kill me if I drilled holes in the hardwood floor to run a pipe to and from the basement. Of course if he'd let me re-arrange the living room furniture and I put the tank on an inside wall...

Anyway I have a RSR 250 with a usable area of 33 inches X 15 inches for a sump. That's assuming I can move all of the other equipment out or to a shelf or something.

The sump that came with the RSR is perfectly nice BUT I don't have a large enough refugium. I'm using the ATO tank for macroalgae and it only hold around 2 gallons. I do have a compartment that is just about large enough but it's where my skimmer sits.

I'm not good at DIY so I was hoping to find a ready-made Triton style sump that would fit my stand. I can't find any. Besides getting a bigger tank (or stand, see above re Husband killing me) does anyone have any ideas? I guess there's just not enough demand for Triton style sumps on "small" tanks.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks, I knew if it was out there someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my sump for my Reefer 250:

450283d62ec189d0d08ab4a0cc4156a2.jpg

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DarthSimon I wish I could run a sump in a closet or basement or garage but unfortunately there's not an easy way for me to do that. If I could I would run it into the basement and set up my currently unused 55 as a sump. Or a frag tank that's in the same loop as the display and the sump.... hmmmm.... Maybe The Husband won't notice if I set everything up while he's gone... How can I get him out of the house long enough to drill a hole in the floor... ;):D

@Crystal Reef Aquatics Thanks for the offer. I ordered a sump and I'll be sure to let you know if I have any questions once it's arrived.

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DarthSimon I wish I could run a sump in a closet or basement or garage but unfortunately there's not an easy way for me to do that. If I could I would run it into the basement and set up my currently unused 55 as a sump. Or a frag tank that's in the same loop as the display and the sump.... hmmmm.... Maybe The Husband won't notice if I set everything up while he's gone... How can I get him out of the house long enough to drill a hole in the floor... ;):D

@Crystal Reef Aquatics Thanks for the offer. I ordered a sump and I'll be sure to let you know if I have any questions once it's arrived.
Great! Thanks for your business!

Menrllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know is now making a triton style sump, Crystal Reef is out of business and Synergy discontinued thiers.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know is now making a triton style sump, Crystal Reef is out of business and Synergy discontinued thiers.

Trigger systems makes a good Triton sump. It's what I have, and it works great. I have the 34 size.

Menrllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trigger systems makes a good Triton sump. It's what I have, and it works great. I have the 34 size.
I have a reefer 250, that would require replumbing the system. I was hoping to avoid that. Kind of want plug and play

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back