Red Sea reefer 250 ##PICTURE HEAVY##

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

This is going to be my Red Sea reefer 250 build thread. I’ve been in the hobby for about 6-7 months now. Over the next month I will be piecing together parts and equipment until I am able to get moved and get the tank set up in new apartment! I try to keep updated, my last thread didn’t go too well because I got pretty discouraged with having a 16g biocube but this thread will be much better and picture heavy when I start the tank up!!

So first things first.

TANK

I’m getting the reefer 250 deluxe version to get the hydra 26 HD lights. Mainly because I think I will enjoy being able to control them from my phone.
My LFS will be ordering my tank and helping me get it together and moved at the end of the month!

Skimmer

I ordered the Reef octopus classic 150SSS 6” internal space saver!

Power heads

Going to pick up 2 Nero 5 power heads from my LFS in a week or so. These also are able to run off the same app on my phone that the lights will run off of! Plus I’m interested in trying out something other than the standard mp40 or gyre set ups.

Return pump

Decided to go with the Vectra S1

Lighting

As mentioned above I’m going with the deluxe package to get the 2 AI hydra 26 HD lights and mounting brackets!

Heating

Cobalt neotherm 150W Heater and a 75W, will move up to a 300w or two 150w when one of them goes out.

Last edited:

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the same journey I'm about 2 months in same tank and lights ai pulse and vectra s1 uv reactor gfo reactor octo.skimmer bubble magus doser t11 cobalt heater apex system.. this hobby is super addicting

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the same journey I'm about 2 months in same tank and lights ai pulse and vectra s1 uv reactor gfo reactor octo.skimmer bubble magus doser t11 cobalt heater apex system.. this hobby is super addicting

Haha you’re so very true. Very addicting! Link your thread if you’ve got one and I’ll be sure to follow it!

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it so far

IMG-20181211-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181211-WA0001.jpg

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 250 should be getting here in a few days. Soo excited.

Looking forward to watching your build

Keep us posted

Woot! It’s hard to fine some threads on here for the 250! Maybe we can all team and share our results with everyone! I’ll be posting pictures as everything comes in and giving updates! What do you guys have stocked in the tank or plans for??

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing a mix of everything I'm Lps sps softies and thinking about adding a clam. Also does anyone know what tang would be ok in a tank like ours??

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing a mix of everything I'm Lps sps softies and thinking about adding a clam. Also does anyone know what tang would be ok in a tank like ours??

Ermmmm not gonna lie I’m pretty sure the tang police would have to bring you in for putting a tang in the tank. With that being said though I’ve seen a couple with small yellow or tomni tangs. Granted they re home them or have plans to but still. I’ve also seen a tank with a dwarf potters angel in it!! I think my original plan is to try to keep a heavy stocked tank with some smaller fish. But let’s be real.. impulse buying is a real struggle. I’ll probably put some fish that aren’t meant to stay longer than a year or two eventually but I’ll re home them once they outgrow the tank.

MrJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with full sps tanks. I can grow acros like you wouldn’t believe. I’ve always struggled with shrooms and zoas. Reefer hopefully full of shrooms and zoas.

Pair of mocha clowns
Solan fairy wrasse
Yellow watchman goby

Undecided on a few more. Maybe scissor tail dartfish
Midas blenny

MrJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ermmmm not gonna lie I’m pretty sure the tang police would have to bring you in for putting a tang in the tank. With that being said though I’ve seen a couple with small yellow or tomni tangs. Granted they re home them or have plans to but still. I’ve also seen a tank with a dwarf potters angel in it!! I think my original plan is to try to keep a heavy stocked tank with some smaller fish. But let’s be real.. impulse buying is a real struggle. I’ll probably put some fish that aren’t meant to stay longer than a year or two eventually but I’ll re home them once they outgrow the tank.

I have a blue tang and scopas tang in my 150. Gonna temporally house then in the reefer until I reset up my biggie in the garage. Probably 4-5 months in the reefer. Scopas is about 4 inches and blue about 3.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with full sps tanks. I can grow acros like you wouldn’t believe. I’ve always struggled with shrooms and zoas. Reefer hopefully full of shrooms and zoas.

Pair of mocha clowns
Solan fairy wrasse
Yellow watchman goby

Undecided on a few more. Maybe scissor tail dartfish
Midas blenny

Cool! I’ll put a detailed stocking list of mine whenever I finish getting everything together! I’m big into LPS but looking to get into some SPS with this set up!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang and scopas tang in my 150. Gonna temporally house then in the reefer until I reset up my biggie in the garage. Probably 4-5 months in the reefer. Scopas is about 4 inches and blue about 3.

Sweet! I’m looking into a minimalist aquascape so I have plenty of swimming room for everyone. Might look into adding a very tiny tang then re homing it in a year or so!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great so far and thanks for sharing all the pictures with us, very nice!

The rock work looks great as well

I think he’s done a great job so far! I’m gonna start piecing things together on mine and hopefully go wet early January!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3353.JPG
IMG_3354.JPG

Woot!! First piece of equipment arrived today!! The vertex Omega 150 protein skimmer! Gonna try to go Monday to get the rest of equipment and tank ordered from LFS! Tank could be here as early as Wednesday! Will get more pics as everything comes in!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Update***

Got tank ordered and it’s supposed to be at the LFS tomorrow!

Also went and got some tools for the plumbing job!
IMG_3385.JPG

Ordering the pipe and fittings from BRS tomorrow!

I’ll be on vacation in Texas for the holidays so sadly I won’t be able to pick up tank until the 27th! But at that point it’s gonna be on!

Here’s where I’m planning the tank to go. **Excuse the presents from my girlfriend**, the table is about the same length and width as the tank will be so it gave me some idea of what it’ll be!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3384.JPG

The last picture is being weird so here is the table and spot the tank is going!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back