PiscesPower

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PiscesPower,
Looks like you made a DIY refugium for your sump. I'm going to replace my stock RSR 250 sump with a Synergy Triton sump so I won't need my ReefDreamsUK refugium baffle, if you're interested in buying I could let it go cheap....
PM sent

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's time for an update.
The BTAs I have started to take over the 'island' I had them on, me adding new ones didn't really help. I was starting to see some stinging of SPS frags and had to move them off the rocks.
I love the movement of the BTAs so the decision was made to rearrange things and sell all of the SPS frags I had accumulated and just recently placed.
I managed to make a trade with a local reefer, I got a proven mated pair of Mocha Ocellaris clowns and I gave all my SPS frags and my lone Extreme Misbar black and white clown.

The new clowns went straight into the anemones. So that worked...

I did some rearranging as well. Nemes are alone on a rock and will have to travel across sand to get anywhere. They seem to have settled into position. I think I'm up to 12 now, one of my Rainbows split this week.
I also added an algae scrubber to augment my DIY fuge. Just bought a ReefDreams Baffle from powers2001, excited to get that in place as it will expand the size of my fuge and reduce chaeto from getting into other parts of the sump.

I gave away my Bicolor Pseudochromis since he was territorial on the left side of the tank and the clowns territorial on the right. It didn't leave many places for fish to just chill.

I have a smaller trap coming this weekend, I am going to catch the Diamond Goby and rehome him. I loved the idea of him, but the mess he makes and I want corals on the sandbed. I knew it was a risk, I knew what they are capable of. Part of the problem is that my Kole Tang picks on him a lot, and he is constantly diving into crevices, and into one of his many burrows and creating sand storms. His normal foraging for food is not a big deal. I don't know why the tang is such a dick to him. It may be he's a dick to all the fish but the goby is the only one who reacts to him and so the tang likes to pester him to get a rise.

I'm seeing amazing growth on my Bubble Gum chalice and all my corals. There are a few micromussa that had some vermetid snails on their sides and I think that was preventing new heads from forming I think. I shot some kalk paste into the tubes and them crushed them. Hopefully this will take care of that issue.

I did get a new iPhone X so pics have been way better quality.

Can you find the Twinspot Goby in this picture?
IMG-0153.JPG

Bubble Gum Chalice was mounted in October of 2017. Encrusting like crazy.
IMG-0159.JPG

My newest corals. Trying to keep them off the sandbed and away from the sand storms.

IMG-0139.JPG

Random shots and FTS

IMG-0145.JPG

IMG-0148.JPG

IMG-0133.JPG

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that ReefDreams baffle I sold you is pretty versatile with different lengths and uses. I used it for a finicky fish once, like a corral. just fastened some egg-crate to the top and poured some brine in to coax him. Something about the natural smell and natural movement of live food entices the fish to eat. Hope you get a lot of use out of it.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the ReefDreams baffle that I got from @powers2001. Amazed at how much more volume it gives me in the fuge. Very pleased. Let's see if I can get ahold of my rising nutrients with this bigger fuge. I ordered some Triton Other Methods, (though still probably have a month or more of Triton method Core 7). Was thinking I might have to add some carbon dosing. Time to see what happens. Tried to move my light down.
IMG-0190.png

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how I found a buyer for that baffle so fast!! I have a whole folder of bookmarks devoted to RSR 250 build threads and remembered someone with a homemade baffle thinking they might want it. It took me awhile to find the right thread. I bought it originally from Amanda with the RSR 250 thread where she lost a Boxer Dog and got a new one. And she bought it from a fellow RSR reefer, so it's been around and Nancy here says she might get a Synergy reef like me, so this baffle might go on down the line again. The baffles are out of production as the folks in England that made them had a fire in their shop. My Synergy Reef Systems sump should be here around Valentine's day I'm hoping. The website says figure on a 3 week production time.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my skimmer to a Bubble Magus Curve 5. Here's hoping this will better deal with my bioload. The Skimz was only rated for 30g with heavy load.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little bird @Brogratz told me today that a somewhat local company has finally come out with their larger refugium Red Sea 250 replacement sump. Thought that the 350 was going to be the one I would need to use and I didn't want to do hard plumbing or lose all the space in my cabinet. 11 gallon Refugium!!! Full Triton Method I'll be back LOL.

Oceans by Design / Crystal Reef Aquariums in Bellingham WA
250+sump+1.jpg

Of course I will take the time to save some money, being the responsible adult that I am, and order one in a few months.

HA HA HA HA, OMG I'M FALLING OFF MY CHAIR...I CAN'T EVEN TYPE THAT WITHOUT LAUGHING

ORDERED!!!

@powers2001 Do you know of anyone else who is looking for the baffle for the 250! Hopefully I'll be selling the algae scrubber as well, but I'll wait on that a bit.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little bird @Brogratz told me today that a somewhat local company has finally come out with their larger refugium Red Sea 250 replacement sump. Thought that the 350 was going to be the one I would need to use and I didn't want to do hard plumbing or lose all the space in my cabinet. 11 gallon Refugium!!! Full Triton Method I'll be back LOL.

250+sump+1.jpg

Of course I will take the time to save some money, being the responsible adult that I am, and order one in a few months.

HA HA HA HA, OMG I'M FALLING OFF MY CHAIR...I CAN'T EVEN TYPE THAT WITHOUT LAUGHING

ORDERED!!!

@powers2001 Do you know of anyone else who is looking for the baffle for the 250! Hopefully I'll be selling the algae scrubber as well, but I'll wait on that a bit.
Please share pics when you've installed it

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual link for the Red Sea Replacement Sumps is here , http://www.oceansbydesign.com/red-sea-replacement-sumps/

And the company name is Crystal Reef Aquatics, I believe they are working on more sizes. I am talking to them about a red sea reefer 525XL version. But so far I like these a lot vs the synergy reefs because you can potentially use the same returns from RS with this sump where as the Synergy requires new pipes or at least adjustment.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need help let me know I can probably swing by if I get approval from the wife.

crazy old lady.jpg
You can tell her it's volunteering with the senior citizens LOL. That's not actually that funny, I have birthday #55 coming in in a week or two.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

250+sump+1.jpg

ORDERED!!!

WOW!! Nancy love that sump!! I would've bought one too if my Synergy Triton wasn't on the way (gets here this Friday.) It's very sharp and does it leave space in the cabinet beside it? Funny how that Reef Dreams baffle is getting passed around! I would post it on the Red Sea Discussion thread, here it is:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/page-295
I bet it would sell within the hour there. I'm on the edge of my seat for your sump and watching!

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! Nancy love that sump!! I would've bought one too if my Synergy Triton wasn't on the way (gets here this Friday.) It's very sharp and does it leave space in the cabinet beside it? Funny how that Reef Dreams baffle is getting passed around! I would post it on the Red Sea Discussion thread, here it is:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/page-295
I bet it would sell within the hour there. I'm on the edge of my seat for your sump and watching!

It is almost the same size as the original. The baffle is already spoken for LOL.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crazy old lady.jpg
You can tell her it's volunteering with the senior citizens LOL. That's not actually that funny, I have birthday #55 coming in in a week or two.

LOL I have BD #49 on March 6. Ripping right into middle age!!

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day!! Attended Reefworx 2018 here in Tukwila Washington. Great show with a ton of people. Hope the venue is bigger next year. Had a blast, didn't win any raffle prizes. I was so good, I only bought 2 corals. A rainbow monti and a discosoma mushroom. Spent less than $100 on corals. So responsible. :D Oh did I forget to mention I bought an Apex from the Saltwater City booth, local out of Bellevue WA??? Got the show discount. More importantly I got an awesome orange ;Woot Neptune T-shirt AND a Neptune microfiber cloth. Oh and I picked up my new sump! ;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy I'm just protecting my investment.;Happy. I need to have a few 45 degree angles added to my downpipe for the sump to fit and I have a friend to help me with that @Handegard.

What an awesome day. I have 4 days off over my birthday next weekend, hopefully can get this sump in place and get the Apex set up. I would love to at least connect the probes, but it doesn't make much sense to go to all that effort if the cabinet is going to get torn apart soon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back