Red Sea Reefer 250 G2 Build - New Tank Build

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally received delivery of my Reefer 250 G2 late last week. Spent some of the weekend putting the cabinet together and getting the plumbing started.

Build List

• Reefer 250 G2
  • (2) Red Sea ReefLED 90 + (2) Mounting Arms
  • (2) Red Sea ReefWave 25
  • Red Sea ReefMat 500
  • RedSea RSK 300
  • (2) BRS 200 Watt Titanium Heaters + Dual probe InkBird Controller
  • Syncra 6.0 SDC Return Pump
  • 75 GPD 4 stage RO/DI Unit
  • ATO Controller + Pump
  • ReefDose 4

I went with Red Sea for a majority of the equipment. I like the idea of being able to control a majority of devices from a single app.

LFS will be delivering 50 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of Fiji pink on Wednesday, so the next couple days will be finishing the plumbing so the system is ready to accept live rock Wednesday morning!

I could have made the RO water and mixed salt and did the initial fill at home but mixing 50 - 65 gallons of water over 2 - 3 days wasn't exciting to me. LFS is charging $50 bucks for the initial fill is a good deal to me to save me hours of lugging buckets and mixing salt.

I'll also be immediately replace the included ATO for a larger resovior and using an ATO controller + pump

IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First "issue" encountered. The flexible tubing included with the tank is 5/8" and thus will require a 5/8" barb. The smallest adapter that came with the Syncra 6.0 is 1". Luckily my LFS had a 5/8" barb x 1" NPT fitting, so should be no issue now.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!

Ended up going with 40 lbs of Figi Pink and 40 lbs of live rock from my LFS. I immediately replaced the stock ATO float and reservoir with an optical ATO sensor, I'm just using a Lowes bucket and mini Sicce pump for now until I can order a more elegant ATO reservoir. Regardless, 5 gallon bucket should get me much further vs the stock ATO.

I'm cycling with Microbacter7, the plan is to add a pair of clowns within the week!

fronttank.jpg
sump.jpg

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank running and equipment in place it's time to order a lid. I'm going with a crowd favorite, ordered the classic lid from ClearView Lids. Production time states about 30 days, so should be just in time to prevent any future jumpers.

knecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The build looks great. How do you like the ReefLED? I am starting a RS 200G2 build and debated between those and the Kessil A360X Tuna Blue. I decided to go with the Kessil for no reason other than I have experience with Kessil. Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build looks great. How do you like the ReefLED?I am starting a RS 170 G2 build and debated between those and the Kessil A360X Tuna Blue. I decided to go with the Kessil for no reason other than I have experience with Kessil. Good Luck!
I like them, this is my first reef tank so I don't have anything to compare them. I went with the RedSea lights as two of the 90s seemed perfect for the 250, and RedSea designed them so that the par levels are pretty good throughout the tank. I've heard good things about the Kessil lights as well.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and sand with a boost from Microbacter7 cycled this tank extremely quickly.

I was showing about 2ppm Nitrates with 0 for ammonia and nitrite 4 days after getting the tank wet

More confirmation that the cycle has completed, already going through a diatom bloom about 5 days after tank setup. The rocks are pretty covered with diatom algae already. Hopefully will run it's course once the silica in the tank is depleted.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home. Meet Clown & Fish. Two Mocha clowns from my LFS.
I went into the LFS knowing that I was going to pick up a couple clowns, they had so many to choose from. Something about these mochas really pop! The dark orange and contrast between the white stripes along with their bright orange faces. Can't wait to get them an anemone a few months down the road once the tank is stable.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into the LFS knowing that I was going to pick up a couple clowns, they had so many to choose from. Something about these mochas really pop! The dark orange and contrast between the white stripes along with their bright orange faces. Can't wait to get them an anemone a few months down the road once the tank is stable.
Clear Lids notified me that my lid is finished and should be shipping next week. So can't wait to show everyone how it turned out!

What's tragic is one of my new clownfish decided to jump last night, found him next to the tank. Little buddy just needed to wait a few more days... All fish jump, I know, but Clownfish a bit less then the usual suspects. Still, I made a bad assumption that they would be fine for a week while I waited for the lid to come in :(

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First "issue" encountered. The flexible tubing included with the tank is 5/8" and thus will require a 5/8" barb. The smallest adapter that came with the Syncra 6.0 is 1". Luckily my LFS had a 5/8" barb x 1" NPT fitting, so should be no issue now.
Question for you. I have a Reefer 250 v1 and just got that Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump replacing my Eheim which ran at 620gph. For the life of me I can't dial this thing in. What % are you running yours at? I replaced the overflow valve when I got the tank originally with a spears gate valve and tuning things was a snap with the Eheim. Now the return is either overflowing into the emergency pipe or too low and the sump is too high even with tiny adjustments to the valve. I've tried 50% to 24% with no luck.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you. I have a Reefer 250 v1 and just got that Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump replacing my Eheim which ran at 620gph. For the life of me I can't dial this thing in. What % are you running yours at? I replaced the overflow valve when I got the tank originally with a spears gate valve and tuning things was a snap with the Eheim. Now the return is either overflowing into the emergency pipe or too low and the sump is too high even with tiny adjustments to the valve. I've tried 50% to 24% with no luck.
Currently at 75%. That being said, I do not have a flow meter so I really have no idea what my actual turnover is at that setting. In addition, I heard that the gen 1 reefer tanks have incredibly finicky gate valves. Sorry I can't provide any help, I do know some people with the gen 1 tanks upgraded the gate valve to help with these types of issues, but it sounds like you already did that.. Someone with some more plumbing experience here may be able to help

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently at 75%. That being said, I do not have a flow meter so I really have no idea what my actual turnover is at that setting. In addition, I heard that the gen 1 reefer tanks have incredibly finicky gate valves. Sorry I can't provide any help, I do know some people with the gen 1 tanks upgraded the gate valve to help with these types of issues, but it sounds like you already did that.. Someone with some more plumbing experience here may be able to help
Thanks for the reply. I called Sicce and they said that the power % is of the range not the total so to get down under the 660GPH max for the reefer 250 they said I'd have to run it at 14% and it's not stable at that level. They recommend no lower than 40% for consistent power and that the 6.0 is too much for a Reefer 250. They are offering to exchange my 6.0 for a 3.0 which I'm going to do. Not sure what the flow is for the new 250g's but hopefully it's ok for you since it seems it's over the max. even at 75%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I called Sicce and they said that the power % is of the range not the total so to get down under the 660GPH max for the reefer 250 they said I'd have to run it at 14% and it's not stable at that level. They recommend no lower than 40% for consistent power and that the 6.0 is too much for a Reefer 250. They are offering to exchange my 6.0 for a 3.0 which I'm going to do. Not sure what the flow is for the new 250g's but hopefully it's ok for you since it seems it's over the max. even at 75%.
That's not entirely correct. It would only be 14% if you have zero head pressure. That range is only valid at zero head pressure. You will not get that with plumbing attached.

For example, the link below, your particular head pressure can and will alter the actual range of the pump

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not entirely correct. It would only be 14% if you have zero head pressure. That range is only valid at zero head pressure. You will not get that with plumbing attached.

For example, the link below, your particular head pressure can and will alter the actual range of the pump

Honestly, it's somewhat concerning that the rep at Sicce would not mention how much head pressure can make a difference.

And as far as "it's too powerful for a reefer 250". At the end of the day if my overflow can handle it and I don't have a wave pool in my sump it should be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back