Red Sea Reefer 250 Giveaway Tank Build

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the incredibly lucky guy that won the Red Sea 250 Complete System Giveaway.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-partner-giveaway-red-sea-reefer-250-complete-system.598156/

First off, I would like to thank @revhtree, Reef2Reef, Red Sea, and @Vivid Creative Aquatics! What a cool giveaway, and extremely generous!

I really couldn't believe it when I saw the thread. I had been at work late and was about to go to sleep when I remembered that the drawing had been that night. I had to wake the wife up to verify that I was reading the my ticket numbers correctly and that I hadn't lost my mind. I was so stoked that I really didn't get much sleep that night...

Then came the rapid planning stage, some of which is still going on. Here is what I have so far...

Controller: Apex
Light: AP700
Return: COR 20
Return Kit: Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/red-sea-reefer-ultimate-return-line-upgrade-25mm-to-12in-rfg/
Skimmer: Reep Octopus eEssence 130
Nutrient Export: Reef Octopus Biopellet Reactor BR-110
Powerheads : 2 x Reef Octopus Pulse 2
Heater: Finnex 300 Watt Titanium
Rock: 30 lbs of Marco Medium Foundation and 50 lbs of their Shelf rock

Controller: I struggled with this one. I am slowly coming to accept that I am a c0ntrol freak. This seems to have been apparent to those around me for quite some time... I must be slow on the uptake. Lol. I really like the ability to monitor and control what is happening with the tank remotely. The pricing between picking up new modules to expand my existing Apex to support the Red Sea VS buying a whole other setup was just a couple hundred dollars. I decided that having the additional "brain" and EB832 were well worth it. This will also allow me to monitor this tank on a seperate Fusion page, reducing the likelihood that I get confused about which tank I am monitoring/controlling.

Light: I have an AP700 on my frag tank right now that will be reallocated to this build. The frag tank will get an old Aquatic Life MH/T5 hybrid fixture until it can be replaced with something more modern. It will be interesting to compare growth and coloration when frags move from it to the DT's under the AP700's until then.

Return Pump: I went back and forth from one extreme to another here. Run the Sicce Silent for the return and additional pumps to drive reactors, or just go with one big pump. After reading reviews, evaluating pump curves, and the operational complexity of all options, I decided on the COR 20. I picked up another FMM so I can take advantage of the Apex to monitor return flow after the manifold that I will construct. The COR 20 should be able to provide more than enough flow for the returns, the BR-110, and whatever other reactors I wind up adding to the manifold eventually. I plan on running the discharge at 1.25" until the manifold to minimize headloss, then will reduce it down to 25mm up to the....

ULTIMATE Red Sea REEFER Return Line Upgrade Kit!

Red-Sea-Reefer-Return-Line-Upgrade_1187.jpg

(credit: VCA's website)

This return manifold is SUPER nice. Antonio @Vivid Creative Aquatics was really helpful and steered me in the right direction for this build. I can't wait to get the tank set up so that I can try this thing out. I'll see if I can't get some video with air bubbles entrained in the suction of the COR20 so you guys can see how they work!

VCA also hooked me up with:

The MJ Pump Vacuum Attachment, which will really help since I am planning on making this a bare bottom tank. I'll be picking up another one of these for the QT. Works GREAT!
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/mjv-mj-pump-vacuum-attachment/

MJV-MJ1200-Vaccum-Attachment_2561.jpg

And, several bags of MTC (Multi-Tube Clips) to help manage my RO, Sea Water, Waste Water, and dosing lines. These things are awesome and do a much nicer job than zip ties. I have tested them out on the run towards my storage tanks and WHAT a difference. Did I mention that I am a control freak? The kits come with fittings for 2, 3, or 4 RO lines in Seafoam White, Aqua Blue, Lava Rock Black, or Yuma Orage. I opted for Seafoam White.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/mtc-kits-multi-tube-clips/
MTC-Kit_aqua-blue.jpg

I'll get some before and after pics this weekend to demonstrate this clips.

That's all I have time for right now. Will work on it some more this weekend. Can't wait for the tank to arrive and get this rocking...

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to be a part of this - the excitement you have for this win and the forthcoming build is awesome. Can't wait to see how it all comes together

Congrats again and please, if you have any questions about Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line upgrade Kit, the MTC clips the or vac attachment , please do not hesitate to ask.

Antonio....

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived yesterday in good shape. Red Sea packs their tanks on their own pallets which was then stacked on the shipping company's. Looking forward to assembling the stand and working on the plumbing. All of my rock is curing. The shelf rock looks great. I'm stoked to get this sucker up and running!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... I decided on the Reef Octopus Pulse 2 for the powerheads

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Grigs That's awesome you won this tank !!! I almost went with Octo Pulses. I'm going to try Apex WAV's.
Thanks so much! I love my WAV's... have 4 of them in the WB 230.6 and they provide a TON of flow. Was just concerned that they wouldn't be able to scale down well with the 250. I did some expirementing with one of them using Fusion where I changed my tank volume to 52g and was unable to achieve lower turnover rates... IIRC it was roughly 60 and up. Flow doesn't reduce linearly in the lower regions of operation, as in MINIMAL changes in output between 5% and 20%...

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I love my WAV's... have 4 of them in the WB 230.6 and they provide a TON of flow. Was just concerned that they wouldn't be able to scale down well with the 250. I did some expirementing with one of them using Fusion where I changed my tank volume to 52g and was unable to achieve lower turnover rates... IIRC it was roughly 60 and up. Flow doesn't reduce linearly in the lower regions of operation, as in MINIMAL changes in output between 5% and 20%...
@Grigs Oh no that sounds so discouraging about the WAVs. When you say, "it was roughly 60 and up," that means the Apex was calculating a 60 times turnover in the tank? Good thing I only bought one. I might have to get rid of it. Maybe sell it before I ever get it wet. It will sell faster and at a higher price that way.

It's been 2-1/2 years since my tank had water in it and it'll be a few more weeks until I can start looking for an apartment and move the tank and me in. In the mean time I will research wavemakers and diligently watch your thread here for your take on how the Octo Pluses do on a REEFER 250.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my prior post on the lowest turnover... it was 32-35 at roughly 5% flow... That could be low enough for LPS... I agree you would probably only want one WAV, though. Also, their flow is fairly focused. I do love my WAV's but in a smallish tank they may be a bit much

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my prior post on the lowest turnover... it was 32-35 at roughly 5% flow... That could be low enough for LPS... I agree you would probably only want one WAV, though. Also, their flow is fairly focused. I do love my WAV's but in a smallish tank they may be a bit much
Okay @Grigs I'm confused. Did you have the WAVs on this Reefer 250? I thought this is a new setup. What tank did you have the WAVs on? Is 5% the lowest they can go?

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in the WB 230.6 bit changed the volume to 52g, which is the volume of the 250. When I changed flow in the 230.6 the turnover was indicated as though it was in a 250

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the incredibly lucky guy that won the Red Sea 250 Complete System Giveaway.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-partner-giveaway-red-sea-reefer-250-complete-system.598156/

First off, I would like to thank @revhtree, Reef2Reef, Red Sea, and @Vivid Creative Aquatics! What a cool giveaway, and extremely generous!

I really couldn't believe it when I saw the thread. I had been at work late and was about to go to sleep when I remembered that the drawing had been that night. I had to wake the wife up to verify that I was reading the my ticket numbers correctly and that I hadn't lost my mind. I was so stoked that I really didn't get much sleep that night...

Then came the rapid planning stage, some of which is still going on. Here is what I have so far...

Controller: Apex
Light: AP700
Return: COR 20
Return Kit: Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/red-sea-reefer-ultimate-return-line-upgrade-25mm-to-12in-rfg/
Skimmer: Reep Octopus eEssence 130
Nutrient Export: Reef Octopus Biopellet Reactor BR-110
Powerheads : 2 x Reef Octopus Pulse 2
Heater: Finnex 300 Watt Titanium
Rock: 30 lbs of Marco Medium Foundation and 50 lbs of their Shelf rock

Controller: I struggled with this one. I am slowly coming to accept that I am a c0ntrol freak. This seems to have been apparent to those around me for quite some time... I must be slow on the uptake. Lol. I really like the ability to monitor and control what is happening with the tank remotely. The pricing between picking up new modules to expand my existing Apex to support the Red Sea VS buying a whole other setup was just a couple hundred dollars. I decided that having the additional "brain" and EB832 were well worth it. This will also allow me to monitor this tank on a seperate Fusion page, reducing the likelihood that I get confused about which tank I am monitoring/controlling.

Light: I have an AP700 on my frag tank right now that will be reallocated to this build. The frag tank will get an old Aquatic Life MH/T5 hybrid fixture until it can be replaced with something more modern. It will be interesting to compare growth and coloration when frags move from it to the DT's under the AP700's until then.

Return Pump: I went back and forth from one extreme to another here. Run the Sicce Silent for the return and additional pumps to drive reactors, or just go with one big pump. After reading reviews, evaluating pump curves, and the operational complexity of all options, I decided on the COR 20. I picked up another FMM so I can take advantage of the Apex to monitor return flow after the manifold that I will construct. The COR 20 should be able to provide more than enough flow for the returns, the BR-110, and whatever other reactors I wind up adding to the manifold eventually. I plan on running the discharge at 1.25" until the manifold to minimize headloss, then will reduce it down to 25mm up to the....

ULTIMATE Red Sea REEFER Return Line Upgrade Kit!

Red-Sea-Reefer-Return-Line-Upgrade_1187.jpg

(credit: VCA's website)

This return manifold is SUPER nice. Antonio @Vivid Creative Aquatics was really helpful and steered me in the right direction for this build. I can't wait to get the tank set up so that I can try this thing out. I'll see if I can't get some video with air bubbles entrained in the suction of the COR20 so you guys can see how they work!

VCA also hooked me up with:

The MJ Pump Vacuum Attachment, which will really help since I am planning on making this a bare bottom tank. I'll be picking up another one of these for the QT. Works GREAT!
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/mjv-mj-pump-vacuum-attachment/

MJV-MJ1200-Vaccum-Attachment_2561.jpg

And, several bags of MTC (Multi-Tube Clips) to help manage my RO, Sea Water, Waste Water, and dosing lines. These things are awesome and do a much nicer job than zip ties. I have tested them out on the run towards my storage tanks and WHAT a difference. Did I mention that I am a control freak? The kits come with fittings for 2, 3, or 4 RO lines in Seafoam White, Aqua Blue, Lava Rock Black, or Yuma Orage. I opted for Seafoam White.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/mtc-kits-multi-tube-clips/
MTC-Kit_aqua-blue.jpg

I'll get some before and after pics this weekend to demonstrate this clips.

That's all I have time for right now. Will work on it some more this weekend. Can't wait for the tank to arrive and get this rocking...

I just ordered VCA's return manifold and your spot on in the response to your questions. If the support is anything like their product will super happy.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue all too short update on this build...

Rockhas been cycling for a little more than 8 weeks now. Ready to aquascape.

I decided to build a manifold and instrument the heck out of it. Actual return flow, biopellet reactor flow, and TBD reactor flow all have Flow Modules. Replaced the Red Sea awful valve with a gate valve from BRS. In fact, all valves are gate valves. No drama for Mongo...

All that's left is to run the
ATO pump, tubing, and wiring from the ATO tank on my Waterbox. Quick 5 minute job... as if those exist... lol!

Here are a few pics...

20190811_171310.jpg
20190811_171403.jpg
20190811_171446.jpg
20190811_171513.jpg
20190907_212338.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's looking really good, and taking your time just means it will be that much better. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Looking forward to seeing this build come together.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's looking really good, and taking your time just means it will be that much better. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Looking forward to seeing this build come together.

Learned that with my Waterbox. Only now getting back in shape following the Alk incident... lol.

Revisiting my lighting plans. Wondering if going with a Compact Orphek might be better than the AP700... or 2 XR15's... or 2 used G3 XR30's... all roughly the same money wise... so many options

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like them! I am running them through my Apex, which eliminates the different modes of operation, but I do feel that they put out plenty of flow. I am running them on a similar flow profile as my WAV's in the WB 230 and there is a LOT of turbulence in the tank. I am still running it empty except for Live Rock and CUC at this time, but based on surface movement the tank is cranking...

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is chugging along slowly. Starting to get a bit of browning on the LR, likley a dark hair algae or brown cyano. Ugh... Such is the way of things. We've added a pair of clowns and a frag of cyphastrea to see if it takes. Looks like it is coloring up a bit, so we could be close! Really looking forward to getting some real life in the tank.

I'm torn as far as fish stocking. I love my tangs and have debated putting in a SMALL yellow tang until it outgrows the tank, then transferring it to the Waterbox. I want a useful crew so I don't have to completely rely on snails and hermit crabs for algae control. Maybe a lawnmower blenny or a starry blenny would work. I reckon I could pick up another red and blue urchin and add it, as well. I love wrasses, but this will be a BB tank, so my normal "go to" choices don't work really well.

Thoughts?

Back