Red Sea Reefer 250 Work From Home Office Edition

omcantu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be working from home a majority of time post COVID world and being in tech management, I’ve found that a reef tank helps with managing stress. A local reefer was getting out of the hobby, so I was able to buy this RSR 250 for a good price. Planning on taking lessons learned from my previous tanks and taking things more strategically including getting the plumbing set up the way I want it from the get go and keeping the Sump clean.

238F9CA8-DB61-4106-83B8-D58F4D3B0731.jpeg

OP
OP
omcantu

omcantu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to create my own reef art with plenty of places to place corals and places that fish can hide/perch. Bought a bunch of rock and got weird looks from the wife when she found a huge box on a porch filled with rocks. After multiple days breaking rocks and trying different placements I ended up with this.
AC8121F2-148B-4DD7-A85B-C01AEAB02417.jpeg

I also used up the rubble and powder left over from breaking the larger rocks apart to try to hide some of the seams of the mortar. It did a decent job of hiding it, but I could’ve used a better method of applying the glue and rubble.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@omcantu great to see another reefer with a Reefer 250, got one too! Take it slow and you’ll have a lot of success. Careful with the plumbing. Conversion unions DO NOT work on RS part #42221. See my build thread. I’m following yours.

OP
OP
omcantu

omcantu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I’ve definitely been taking it slow, but not as slow as @powers2001 !
I ordered some wrong parts for the manifold so that will have to be done later. I did get an Aquamaxx filter roller made for the RS170 and it fits really nice! Going to work on a control board next to keep wires neat tonight and hopefully get the cycling going this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions on a mount set up for two Hydra 32s?

50F19EF8-1847-478B-B863-5414B39CDEB6.jpeg

Last edited:

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a few weeks behind you on my Reefer 250 and I'm down south around Little Rock. I've never visited the coral shops near you - are they worth the day trip?

How'd you manage to put a Spears gate on your plumbing? I'm SO "stuck" on figuring that out myself.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back