Red Sea Reefer 250

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I'm new to the hobby again. I had a 20 gallon tank about 13 years ago and wasn't that successful. Now that I'm older I want to do it right and be way more patient. The goal is to get a mixed reef around 50-70 gallons. I was looking at the Red Sea Reefer 250 and was wondering what are the essential items I'll need? Then are there upgrades I can make at a later date? I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Russ

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Russ, I have a Red Sea reefer 250 as well! Is a great tank. I upgraded the ATO as the 2 gal reservoir it comes with is a joke. Planning to drill later for a refugium though! If I were to make any upgrades to the system itself, I might get a bigger, better sump design, but the stock on works and holds all equipment. It’s a solid tank and looks great. The stand is nice too. If I add anymore equipment I may have to get an equipment cabinet to sit next to the tank, but not sure I’d need it as I don’t have too many more additions I’m going to make that won’t fit currently anyways. Cable management really helps create more room in stand.

OP
OP
FlyingOctopi

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think bare minimum I need a heater, skimmer, return pump, lights, and powerheads. Then I could add reactors, controller, ato, dosing pumps, and a refugium later correct?

Thank you for the help!

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare minimum to start, is the return pump and heater. For equipment. This will do until you start getting livestock at which time you’ll need the power heads, lights (only when you start to get coral). skimmer isn’t required until you start stocking the tank.

OP
OP
FlyingOctopi

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I went to the lfs and they showed me how they work so I understand it a lot more now. I knew the main idea just didn't know the order and what is essential. Everything is out of stock so I've got plenty time to research.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a owner of a RSR 250. I have one question is that going to be enough? mine has been a good tank but as time went on I feel it’s limit the fish I want (Just something to think about). Feel free to go through my build thread if you like, but know I am about to make major changes again. If I could only change one thing on the tank it would be adding a Tunze ATO. Honorable mention starting with live rock.

OP
OP
FlyingOctopi

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll look at that Tunze. Now I'm thinking it might be better if I build that stand myself. I build cabinets for a living so probably save me at least $500. Anyone know of a good company that sells rimless tanks that are plumbed?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FlyingOctopi

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was looking at the triton method but all the videos on YouTube say how awful it is. Are there any other methods that are used for a stable aquarium. I want my corals to thrive and want to have the best idea of how to achieve it before I buy anything. Thanks again! This has helped me tremendously!

Russ

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was looking at the triton method but all the videos on YouTube say how awful it is. Are there any other methods that are used for a stable aquarium. I want my corals to thrive and want to have the best idea of how to achieve it before I buy anything. Thanks again! This has helped me tremendously!

Russ
You know. Well I am new. I have done everything I have read on these pages that is considered right (water changes, feeding, etc.). I have spent the money to have a system that is considered close to top of the line. I still killed an acro, can’t keep macro algae alive and I still have other problem areas. That leaves me with, the common denominator; me. I am doing something wrong or I lack some knowledge. The Triton system apparently works or it probably wouldn’t exist today. It would have faded out. The thing is, I’m going to keep pushing and I’ll eventually put all the pieces together and then all will be fine. I would bet for some those people something, no matter how small is off and it’s enough to derail the whole system.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine

Attachments

• 20210108_164343.jpg
    20210108_164343.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210108_163859.jpg
    20210108_163859.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 40

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eyeing the IM tanks and would jump on one if I was able to build a quality stand for them. Kudos for doing your due diligence and learning as much as possible before jumping in. Just know that in this hobby there is ALWAYS something more to learn and ways to improve what you are currently doing. Mistakes will be made, and lessons learned, but each one makes you a better reef keeper and ultimately improves the lives of the inhabitants of your system.

i would say that the necessities (other than the obvious) are patience, a quality RODI system, quality test kits, and an ATO. Most everything else is just icing.

OP
OP
FlyingOctopi

FlyingOctopi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking about getting the 350 now since most of the equipment works for both. Will two radion xr15 g5 be enough light for both the 250 and 350? Getting the equipment narrowed down. I don't think I'm going to build the stand anymore, too much to go wrong.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 350, I forget the dimensions of that tank, but they recommend no more than a 14” (I believe off the top of my head ) between the edge of radions. So as long as you have coverage every 12-14” you should be good. But it also depends what you plan to keep. I’d you’re trying to keep SPS, for the 250 you’ll be fine, the 350 you have have to check the dimensions to ensure you have a light every 12-14”.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back