DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so today I bought a used Red Sea Reefer 250. This will eventually replace my current AIO display tank. Couldn’t pass up this tank when I saw it at my LFS. The previous owner had it for about a year till he upgraded to a 450. Saw it yesterday and was talking to the LFS owner and said the tank owner hasn’t set a price yet. So today I shot him a text and he said he would check. Well the deal was done and said I could come to the shop today though they are closed on Sunday’s and said he will meet me there so I can pick it up since he was heading there from the fish wholesaler. With a little muscle from my son and myself we got it in the house. I just started doing some cleaning on it (hence the owner of the LFS hadn't gotten a chance to do any cleaning on it since it just showed up to the store). I lucked out no scratches and the seams are in good shape. The previous owner did some plumbing on the return with a manifold. Couldn’t be more happier with this purchase. Going to take my time getting it all going (maybe) have some ideas I want to do at the beginning before getting it up and running. Just need to get a return pump, another Radion light, and probably will have to replace my MP10 on my current setup to 2 MP40’s (don’t think the MP10 will hold to the glass). It has the v3 sump though I’m thinking of making the ATO into a refugium and the refugium area in the sump in to a frag area.

59BDBCC3-F288-4DAF-8B06-1D09FEE55BDB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DesertCitiesReefer great to see another reefer with a Reefer 250. Owner of one myself check out my build thread. Will you keep the manifold the previous owner built? Following.
Actually I’m scraping the manifold that came with it. The layout of plumbing I have in mind it won’t work. The previous owner used he stock main and emergency drains and still used the silicone hose that connected to the barbs with the manifold in between. I end up getting metric to standard slip couplers so everything will be hard plumbed throughout without doing the trick with the Red Sea barb couplings. Still waiting on some parts to get the plumbing going.

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much most of my plumbing has arrived so instead of waiting for the rest I figured I will get started on it. To connect to the Red Sea metric pipe I found some metric to standard slips. some photos of the progress so far and the sump I painted to match the pipe colors. Painted the back and left side gray that will be up against the cabinet and the bottom red, leaving the front and right side clear.

1EA263E8-B42B-4EC3-9B32-BAC830AED511.jpeg
4EC8C924-4008-46CF-94B9-F20CFB01D356.jpeg

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooo that was a great idea painting the bottom red! Looks great! I went with a lot of marine pure Blocks as well in the back right chamber to add Some height for the skimmer! Let me know what you decide on powerheads, have a 250 as well. I have a single wavemaker in the left corner and flow seems pretty good for my softie tank. Much like my skimmer, Def needs an upgrade I used the area underneath the socks/media cup area to throw a little extra Media in there! What pump you going with? Have always bought sicce AC with previous tanks?

A17A8691-EEFA-4849-B22C-36ABF99AD638.jpeg

who doesn’t love an unsolicited “fuge pic”

-Cliff “snacks”

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooo that was a great idea painting the bottom red! Looks great! I went with a lot of marine pure Blocks as well in the back right chamber to add Some height for the skimmer! Let me know what you decide on powerheads, have a 250 as well. I have a single wavemaker in the left corner and flow seems pretty good for my softie tank. Much like my skimmer, Def needs an upgrade I used the area underneath the socks/media cup area to throw a little extra Media in there! What pump you going with? Have always bought sicce AC with previous tanks?

A17A8691-EEFA-4849-B22C-36ABF99AD638.jpeg

who doesn’t love an unsolicited “fuge pic”

-Cliff “snacks”
I have a couple e tea MP10’s laying around so those will probably be used. As for the return pump either the COR15 or COR20.

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on UPS to deliver the rest of the plumbing to finish up that task. So went to my LFS and they just got in some boxes of CaribSea Tree Kits. I been looking at these for awhile and was t sure if it would do what I wanted to do with my scape idea. So I picked up one box and played with it a little and was able to accomplish what I had in mind. i only picked up one box because I was thinking to get some shapes and arches to continue with my idea. But after placing it in the tank I might just pick up another kit and fill in the other side with a kit instead of using arches or shapes on that side.

Last edited:

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I’m scraping the manifold that came with it. The layout of plumbing I have in mind it won’t work. The previous owner used he stock main and emergency drains and still used the silicone hose that connected to the barbs with the manifold in between. I end up getting metric to standard slip couplers so everything will be hard plumbed throughout without doing the trick with the Red Sea barb couplings. Still waiting on some parts to get the plumbing going.
@DesertCitiesReefer Awesome to see another Red Sea 250 thread. I just purchased the same tank and started my build thread yesterday. I’ll be following your thread and others in hopes to learn as much as I can while putting together my system. Can I ask where you purchased the metric to standard couplers?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Westside Guy How can someone tell which version of the sump they have? I’m asking as I just purchased a RSR250.
Mine has a label right under the valve.

If there isn't a label look at post #8 in this thread. The V3 sump has the basket holders in the left front and the pump section is in the left rear like in those pictures.

1622639655450.jpeg

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DesertCitiesReefer Awesome to see another Red Sea 250 thread. I just purchased the same tank and started my build thread yesterday. I’ll be following your thread and others in hopes to learn as much as I can while putting together my system. Can I ask where you purchased the metric to standard couplers?
I purchased mine from environmental marine attached are the links for the slip connectors.

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/gf-adapter-socket-pvc-u-3-4-25mm-721913107/

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/gf-adapter-socket-pvc-u-1-32mm-721913108/

Also Salrwater Aquarium now carries them from Adaptive Reef

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/adaptive-reef/

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been awhile but starting to put things together and pretty much have everything I need for the new build. Here are some pictures of my Adaptive Reef control cabinet. Started mounting some of my Neptune gear that I have had laying around. Will be moving some of my Neptune gear from my other tank to this tank in the near future.
22EE7731-E011-4522-A5F4-E3C1EDA9C5E2.jpeg
EBBB7E1A-6784-4E4A-A912-C6609D6A7529.jpeg

OP
OP
DesertCitiesReefer

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it’s been awhile. Pictures to come in the next few days. I have the new build cycling right now. Time to list off the equipment running this reef

Full Neptune System throughout.
-Tank: RSR 250 total capacity 60 gallons including sump. That with equipment, sand, and rock displacement.
-Neptune Apex EL as the brain of the system
-1Link
-FMM (2) [for the ATK and different optical sensors as well as leak detectors]
-ATK
-SKY
- COR15
-GRO for the refugium lighting
-WAV Power Heads (2)
-Trident
-DOS (2)
-DDR (2)
-Various Neptune Optical Sensors and Leak Detectors
-Clarisea 3000 Filter Roller
-Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Skimmer
-BRS Titanium Heater with Inkbird controller
-Adaptive Reef 6 Switch Control Box
-Adaptive Reef Control Cabinet
-Sand 40 pounds CaribSea Special Grade
-CaribSea Tree Rock Kit (2) though I didn’t go with the true tree look

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back