Red Sea Reefer 350 Build - Flash's Place

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 36 gallon bow front tank with a canister filter which has been up and running for 1 year now. Been an amazing learning experience and it has taken some effort to keep it stable. Finally decided that I would get a "real" reef tank with a legitimate setup.

With the exception of my Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD (which was a huge upgrade), nothing will be making it to the new tank.
So far I only have the tank purchased, everything else is still being decided on. I will update as I decide.

All livestock will come from my current tank, and I think they can already sense a big new tank where they can stretch their fins.

Equipment List:

Almost all of this equipment will be coming from Love The Reef, in Wilmington MA. Great LFS!!

Tank, Sump, and Cabinet : Red Sea Reefer 350

In-Cabinet Lighting : Luminoodle Click LED Strip

Controller : Neptune Apex EL

Auto Top Off : Neptune ATK w/ extra OS1 Optical Sensor and Low Profile Leak Detector

Tank Lights : (2) Aqua Illumination Hydra 32 HD

Refugium Light : Aqua Illumination Prime Fuge

Return Pump : Ecotech Vectra M2

Power Heads : (2) Ecotech Vortech MP40

Heater : (2) Aquatops 300W

Auto Top Off Reservoir : Trigger Systems Crystal ATO 5 Gallon

Media Reactor : Nyos Torq 2.0 w/ Torq Dock

Skimmer : Nyos Quantum 160

Dosing Pump : Neptune DOS w/ Neptune DDR

Testing : Neptune Trident

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean to post the rest of the equipment list?

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 350

Picked up the RSR 350 package from the LFS today, and man is that thing heavy.
Anyway I have it home, built and in place. My immediate impression is the impressive quality of all pieces.

The tank is beautiful, the glass is nice and thick, and the seamless design looks great. The black backing will make a nice contrast to anything in the tank. You will have to decide if you want to scrape that back glass to keep it clean as your tank matures.

The sump is similarly well built, same kind of glass as tank which is a nice touch. Compartments in the sump are sizable. The issue I don't care for is the location of the ATO tank. It sits on a glass rail over the sump. It's a bit inconvenient but I am planning on replacing that soon anyway.

The plumbing is very easy to assemble and i like the idea of not doing any plumbing myself... maybe on the next tank :)

The cabinet is extremely sturdy. There are foam pads affixed to the surfaces that will come into contact with glass. Soft close mechanism is excellent, and doors are completely adjustable... this is frustrating for someone dumb like me at first, but once you get a hang of what all the screws do you find that you can get the doors to do exactly what you want.

IMG_6132.jpg

Perfect fit!!

IMG_6140.jpg

Exterior of cabinet is a nice finish that can compliment any room

IMG_6141.jpg

Added a battery operated LED strip under the cabinet so i can see what I am doing. I think I saw that idea on here somewhere and it's a must for any cabinet.

Last edited:

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you connecting the 5/8" ID flex tubing return line to your Vectra pump?

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that kit comes with 3/4" & 1" barb. Flex tubing on Reefer 350 is 5/8". This is the issue I am having with my Sicce pump on my Reefer 350.
I used a 3/4" slip union fitting and a
3/4" insert fitting to 5/8". If you call BRS I'm sure they can set you up.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I contacted BRS and they told me to contact Red Sea as they "have a kit to convert their plumbing"
Bit of a bullsh*t answer if you ask me, and I certainly wasn't about to start a discussion on the widespread popularity of the metric system ;)

I spent about 15 minutes in Home Depot figuring this out, and managed to piece together a $5 solution.
I have documented it here: Red Sea Reefer 350 plumbing to a ecotech marine vectra m2

IMG_6186.jpg

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I contacted BRS and they told me to contact Red Sea as they "have a kit to convert their plumbing"
Bit of a bullsh*t answer if you ask me, and I certainly wasn't about to start a discussion on the widespread popularity of the metric system ;)

I spent about 15 minutes in Home Depot figuring this out, and managed to piece together a $5 solution.
I have documented it here: Red Sea Reefer 350 plumbing to a ecotech marine vectra m2

IMG_6186.jpg
Good solution!

I actually converted the other end of the connection to accept a 3/4" flex hose but I'm thinking about modifying the pump side instead and go back to the 5/8" flex hose supplied in case of leaks.

20200704_095519_resized.jpg

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start, I have the 350 as well and have really liked the tank. That's a great idea of lights in the cabinet, always use my phone light to see and it's a pain. What are your thoughts for power heads?

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start, I have the 350 as well and have really liked the tank. That's a great idea of lights in the cabinet, always use my phone light to see and it's a pain. What are your thoughts for power heads?

Vortech's all day, I love those power heads and they are the reason I went with a Vectra M2. I wanted all pumps to be Ecotech and controlled through 1 app. I will do 2 x MP40s for sure.

I saw some tanks that had additional powerheads on the sides, at the back corners pointed across the back glass to stop detritis build up. I like the idea, will see if I need them.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some tanks that had additional powerheads on the sides, at the back corners pointed across the back glass to stop detritis build up. I like the idea, will see if I need them.

I did that in my tank I have two on the glass pointing in, and two on the overflow pointing out. However, I did it to get more flow back there for corals.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I love these red sea tanks and I'm seriously considering one when I upgrade.

Any pics of your current setup? And what livestock will you be moving over to their new home?

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I love these red sea tanks and I'm seriously considering one when I upgrade.

Any pics of your current setup? And what livestock will you be moving over to their new home?

These Red Sea and I assume Waterbox tanks are amazing. The tank, the sump, and the cabinet are all incredible quality.

IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6193.JPG

My current tank is a 36 Gallon Aqueon.

2 Clowns, Bicolor Blenny, Blue Chromis, Yellow Tang, PJ Cardinal, Watchman Goby, Pistol Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, Emerald Crab... and a bunch of corals.

As you can see I didnt really know much about aquascaping, so I am looking forward to a new bigger space to try to create a better scape.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for The Cycle:

I have installed the Aquatops 300W heater which I chose because it's shorter than other heaters and it has a plastic guard. So far so good, although I may add a second heater at some point seeing as it's taking a while to heat this amount of water up.
IMG_6203.jpg

I also began the installation of the Neptune Apex EL controller. I've tried to pretty up the wiring like I have seen other reefers do, I think my setup is average compared to what I have seen, but I'm liking it so far :)

IMG_6214.jpg
IMG_6204.jpg

PH and Temp probes are active as the tank warms and clears the water. I also replaced the Red Sea Filter Media Cup with a Red Sea Filter Bag for the cycle. That way I have two filter bags running.

So, here it sit watching my Apex Fusion app on my iPad watching the temp in my tank increase..........

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Heaters are Better Than One

It took my Aquatops 300W heater all night to raise the tank by 8 degrees. I decided this morning to get a second heater; this will serve to help share the heating load and also provide some redundancy.
Both heaters are configured with identical settings. I may mess with the settings as the tank runs.

IMG_6219.jpg

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune ATK with Trigger Systems Reservoir

After 2 days of sliding that Red Sea ATO Reservoir back and forth I couldn't take it anymore. I could some real problems in my future once a skimmer was installed.

I hit up my LFS and got a Neptune ATK w/ extra Optical Sensor and a Trigger Systems 5 Gallon ATO Reservoir.

IMG_6217.jpg

The ATO tank fit nicely in the cabinet.
Setup of the Neptune ATK was extremely simple through the Fusion App.
For anyone that has used the Neptune ATK will know it has 2 optical sensors that report a low water and high water level in the sump. The low level turns the pump on, the high level is a fail-safe that turns the pump off.
The extra Optical Sensor is in the ATO Reservoir and will warn me when I need to refill with RODI.

IMG_6224.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back