Red Sea Reefer 350 Build - Flash's Place

WadeWithTheBraid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup looks amazing. Did you screw directly into the stand to hang the Dos and the things that hide the cords? I’m nervous to screw stuff in because I don’t want to weaken the stand.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup looks amazing. Did you screw directly into the stand to hang the Dos and the things that hide the cords? I’m nervous to screw stuff in because I don’t want to weaken the stand.
Thanks!!

I was also worried about doing anything that might compromise the stand.
The DOS pumps are two small screws into directly into the wood of the stand.

Everything else, like the Ecotech control modules and the cord storage tracks is gorilla double sided tape.

WadeWithTheBraid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

I was also worried about doing anything that might compromise the stand.
The DOS pumps are two small screws into directly into the wood of the stand.

Everything else, like the Ecotech control modules and the cord storage tracks is gorilla double sided tape.
Cool thanks. I’ll check out that tape!

Beazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! My first reply on a post and I wanted to say what a small world. I just found Love The Reef at the beginning of this month and I ironically purchased a 350 system from them!

I’m hoping I can get my build looking as smooth as yours does!

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! My first reply on a post and I wanted to say what a small world. I just found Love The Reef at the beginning of this month and I ironically purchased a 350 system from them!

I’m hoping I can get my build looking as smooth as yours does!
Hi Beazer ,

Love the Reef is great. The crew down there really know their stuff, and they stock everything you would need. I didn't get my 350 from them, but I did get pretty much everything else. They've even special ordered a fish for me.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been about 19 months this tank has been up and running and I wanted to share an update.

In terms of equipment I have made a few changes.

1) I removed the Nyos Torq media reactor. I found that it was quite cramped in that back chamber with the media reactor, the skimmer, and both heaters. Also it became difficult to unscrew the reactor body from the dock in order to remove it and replace the media. Now that rear sump compartment is much neater.

2) I stopped using filter socks. Placing these in the wash machine to clean became less and less desirable. Instead I have gone to the filter cups with filter floss in the the top. In the bottom of the filter cups I place some PhosBan and ChemiPure (what I used to have in my reactor)

Here is what the under tank cabinet currently looks like.
Sump Area.jpg

And the tank as it currently looks:
IMG_7892.JPG

I think I now have a pretty stable filtration setup and can concentrate on growing awesome corals and healthy fish.

Back on July 16th 2020, I posted in this thread and referenced my old tank and the livestock that was in it:
"2 Clowns, Bicolor Blenny, Blue Chromis, Yellow Tang, PJ Cardinal, Watchman Goby, Pistol Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, Emerald Crab... and a bunch of corals."

You will all be happy to know that the 2 clowns, bicolour blenny, blue chromis, yellow tang, pj cardinal and watchman goby are all still alive and well and much bigger. Unfortunately, all of my shrimp ceased to exist once the flame hawkfish I introduced got large enough to decide they were a snack. I also added a yellow eye kole tang and an aptaisia filefish to the crew.

I'm surprised as to how healthy the tank seems to be currently. I even had a Bubble Tip Anemone that split, and both anemones are healthy.

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! I am staring down the tunnel of setting up my tank now. How do you feel about your lighting? Also, the Marine Pure blocks.. how has their integrity held up? and have you noticed any leeching from them as others have reported in the past? Thanks!

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! I am staring down the tunnel of setting up my tank now. How do you feel about your lighting? Also, the Marine Pure blocks.. how has their integrity held up? and have you noticed any leeching from them as others have reported in the past? Thanks!
I love the lighting options from Aqua Illumination. There are quite a few good lighting manufacturers out there, try not to skimp. Good lighting makes a big difference.
The integrity of the blocks seems just fine, have not noticed any issues with them.
As for the leaching I am assuming you are referring to the aluminum leaching I have read about? I don't notice any adverse affects on my corals. I read that it can affect soft corals but I have a healthy mix of corals and most if not all are growing fine. I have never sent my water for ICP testing to see if there are elevated levels of aluminum.

Back