Red Sea Reefer 350 DLX build 2017-2020

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ... so my journey to the saltyside began 17/8/17 when I visited the LFS and paid a deposit for a Red Sea Reefer 350 DLX.

The fun proper began on 23/09/17 when I went back to collect my new tank.

For those who need to know - it just fits in a BMW 3 Series Touring with the seats down.

It's also very heavy.

LFS were amazed that I wanted to build it myself and I'm apparently the first customer to DIY - all their other RSRs have been built for the customer by them .... Where's the fun in that?

At the same time I picked up a large tub of RS Coral Pro Salt and told them I'd be back in two weeks for rock and sand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the delivery wait I decided to order some of the hardware:

Aqua Medic DC Runner 3.1 return pump
Aqua Medic Eco Drift 4.1 Powerhead x2
Aqua Medic 200w Titanium heater and controller

DI/RO kit was plumbed in under the kitchen sink - and started making water (I also bought some DI water for convenience).

The tank was lifted into place on the Wednesday evening, the pipework went in carefully on Thursday evening (LFS said "two clicks good - three clicks bad") and on the Saturday was filled with tap water to do the leak tests.

Leak tests were OK so tank was pumped dry and refilled with DI/RO water and salt (mixed in the display tank). Pump turned on. Temperature set to 25C +/- 1C and left to settle.

Whilst the water was doing its thing I cut some egg crate to protect the base glass ready to receive 35kg of live rock.

As promised .... two weeks after collecting the tank I went back for rock and sand.

Rock and Egg Crate.jpg

In preparation for the sand I cut back the egg crate to provide a smooth surface over most of the tank for inverts to wander freely.
Egg Crate Cut Back.jpg

The egg crate was cut back all the way around the rock but didn't take a photo of that ......

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the rock in place and the egg crate cut back in went 2 bags of small grain Red Sea pink coral sand.

Sand.jpg

LFS warned me to wash the sand and I did ..... but not thoroughly enough apparently as I still have some residual silt in the sump.

In retrospect I think I'd have been better off with some coarser sand but we live and learn.

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step was to wait 75 days for the live rock to cycle fishless ...... yawn.

Well, actually not "yawn" as I very soon got all sorts of interesting life coming out of the live rock.

First to appear was a bloom of Copepods, closely followed by Brine Shrimp by the 100.

Then the corralline algae started to spread everywhere .... I got some macro algae and one night found what I assume to be a porcelain crab ... never seen since.

Two "white" stomatella snails appeared and subsequently I have a very cool black one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In January 2018 with water parameters close to spot-on .... I took the plunge and introduced two Hermit Crabs (Herman and Sherman) and a pair of Astrea Ninja Star snails.

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my old skimmer to a Nyos Quantum 120 which took a bit of fiddling to get right .... currently balanced on egg crate ... need to create a permanent solution to that.

Next task is to hard plumb the return in 25mm PVC and tidy up the "electrics".

ellenRN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going? We just got our 350 and I am a complete newbie! Please post pictures! Also pictures under your cabinet - I have no idea what I am doing!!!! Take care, Ellen

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to hear/see more about them, keep us posted!

They've been running just over a week now.

Still using the acclimatise function so running at 80% currently.

Oh, and having got fed up with varying pH readings I bought an Apex.

So using the holiday weekend to set that up completely.

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving further forward and will post pictures of the Apex control board and updated plumbing as soon as I have finished.

Question:

Looking for suggestions for corals for the top surfaces and slopes of the compound arch - what would look good in these high light and relatively high flow areas - preference would be something other than SPS .....

_MG_5959_DxO.jpg

(Please ignore the dirty back wall ;-)

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have moved on and I still haven't finished hard plumbing the return - work the curse of the drinking man as they say. The Reef LEDs have been great and everything seems to flourish including the GHA.

Inspired by @SuncrestReef I dug out my DSLR and 100mm macro lens and took this today.

1588096514824.jpeg

The electrics have been tidied (but not finished) and since I bought a COR pump I will try and finish the plumbing next week.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have moved on and I still haven't finished hard plumbing the return - work the curse of the drinking man as they say. The Reef LEDs have been great and everything seems to flourish including the GHA.

Inspired by @SuncrestReef I dug out my DSLR and 100mm macro lens and took this today.

1588096514824.jpeg

The electrics have been tidied (but not finished) and since I bought a COR pump I will try and finish the plumbing next week.

Beautiful shot! Nice work.

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those asking about the ReefLED 90s ..... I think they're great. I have noticed since the last firmware update a pink hue to the light which you can see in this video

Great excuse to show the Clowns too ...

Back