OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the tank is here! The tank was delivered on Wednesday and installed in less than 30 mins (shout out to my LFS) I complete all of the plumbing myself and that also took less than 30 minutes. RedSea pre glueing many of the pipes is super helpful as all you have to do is put them in the right place and tighten. Seems simple right.....more on that later.
IMG_7135.jpeg
IMG_7138.jpeg
IMG_7137.jpeg

Last night I went ahead and did my leak test and filled up the entire system. NO LEAKS!! But as I was observing the system, I noticed that water was not coming down the pipe with the drain valve but the other pipe. Very confusing until I realized that I installed 2 of the pipes in the overflow box in the opposite places. When I was looking at the instructions initially I didn't realize that at one point the instructions were looking at the tank from the rear. (remember images only, no words on the instructions)
So the water was flowing correctly I just had no way of controlling how much was coming down into the sump making it very loud. So once I drained the overflow box (about 4 gallons) I was able to swap them and all is good with no leaks again.
My LFS told me before hand that if I couldn't figure out the plumbing on my own then I shouldn't have a reef tank :grinning-face-with-sweat:
IMG_7150.jpeg

My LFS will deliver my saltwater at the end of next week. Until then, time to secure my rock scape, start putting together some coral packages and order a few fish. I have also decided to go ahead and upgrade to the Hydra 32s (2 for now) so I am also waiting on those to come in.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some companies that make good custom lids? I need to get one for my setup but I don't want to break the bank.
I have a clearview on my redsea max nano and it's wonderful. They send you the complete lid and it just fits perfectly and seamlessly. ZERO chance of a fish getting out and well worth the price! Check them out.

Edit: Looks like they haven't started making production cuts for the G2 series yet but I suppose you could custom it. Though that would probably cost more than you want to spemd haha

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weeks worth of updates - It's up and running!!
I finally got the rock scape in the tank and my saltwater delivered last week. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Props to my LFS, it only took 45ish minutes to pump all 90 gallon of water in from the truck. On the same day of the water delivery I put in the 32 oz bottle of Fritz Turbo Start (good for 800 gallons) so the tank would essentially insta cycle.
IMG_7182.jpeg

Here's a aerial shot of the scape.

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7184.jpeg

AI Primes are temporary. I went ahead and ordered 2 Hydras that will arrive next week.

IMG_7191.jpeg

Here it is in all of its glory. I have ordered a Tsunami lid from Clearview lids but that will take up to a month to get, so the mesh on top will have to do. :face-with-spiral-eyes:
IMG_7198.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to seeing the new setup progress and seeing what SPS you go with!
Just for you these are the SPS pieces I have ordered so far. ;)
All from the guys @TopShelfAquatics.

TSA Prairie Fire -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.34.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.34.42 PM.png

TSA Hypnotic Haze -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.41.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.41.28 PM.png

PC Superman -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.43.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.44.47 PM.png

TSA Daydream -

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.46.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.47.26 PM.png

TSA Woolly Mammoth -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.03.46 PM.png

TSA Fruity Pebbles -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.05.40 PM.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for you these are the SPS pieces I have ordered so far. ;)
All from the guys @TopShelfAquatics.

TSA Prairie Fire -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.34.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.34.42 PM.png

TSA Hypnotic Haze -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.41.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.41.28 PM.png

PC Superman -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.43.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.44.47 PM.png

TSA Daydream -

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.46.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.47.26 PM.png

TSA Woolly Mammoth -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.03.46 PM.png

TSA Fruity Pebbles -
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.05.40 PM.png
I’m jealous! Look at the colours in them all. Really looking forward to watching these grow out :)

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 of the ugly stage has officially begun. Diatoms are everywhere. Haven't lost anything from the move except some tissue loss on my Monti. This was expected since it wasn't doing so hot in the old setup. My Staghorn colony is starting to poke out its polyps and get its colors back. Fish are also doing well. I'm not going to make a lot of livestock/coral additions until the ugly phase is close to the end or completely finished. Next up is setting up the RO/DI unit and cleaning up both sides of the sump cabinet! :cool:
IMG_7234.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have installed my 2 Hydra 32s and have them running the Yannick Desvignes AI Signature setting. So far I love the coloration in the tank, my coals pop with the blues and the fish show their real colors with the white in the setting. Overall the tank looks more natural and isn't drowned out by intense blues like a lot of other tanks are. I spent a lot of time getting par measurements from various AI Signature settings that I was interested in along with if I kept the setting I was running.

You can see the increase in the par levels from my normal prime setting to the Yannick setting. Big changes, and its exactly what I was looking for with the introduction of more Acropora in the future.
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 6.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 6.13.07 PM.png

NOTE** This is not the Yannick setting. This was before the ugly stage started and when I had the primes running.

Salty_Space

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 2-1/2 years of running a 20 gallon long with a HOB filter, I'm finally getting a full system :cool: This week I'll take delivery of a brand new Red Sea Reefer 350 G2. I got into the hobby when COVID started as something to do since I was back home from college with classes online. I've taken my time and have been very successful with minimal coral loss. I've been lazy with my maintenance a few times and paid the price. But my tank as remained disease free and I'm ready to share my journey with my new setup!

Equipment list-
RedSea Reefer 350 G2 (duh)
3 AI Prime 16 HD (2 from old tank)
1 Nero 3 (from old tank)
1 Nero 5
Nyos Quantum 120s Skimmer
Since 2.0 Return Pump
Starting with 40 lbs of LifeRock Dry Live Rock

Future Additions/Upgrades-
3 AI Hydra 32s
Red Sea Dose 2
2 Red Sea Reef Wave 25 or 45 (maybe)

Fish Stock list-
2 Gladiator DaVinci Clowns (in current tank)
3x Lyretail Anthias (1 in current tank)
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (in current tank)
1 McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse “Male” (Black Fin)
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse “Male”
1 Swiss guard Basslet “Male”
1 White Tail Bristle Tooth Tang
1 Purple Masked Angelfish

Existing Corals-
Bicolor Hammer colony (12+heads)
Teak Green Hammer colony (10+ heads)
TSA Blowtorch colony (6 heads)
Blue Tip Elegance
Stag horn colony (grapefruit size)
Neon Green Finger Leather
Orange Lobo
CandyCane Colony (softball size)
Various Goni and mushroom frags.
Awesome choice I went from a 525xl the a 350xl G2 and I am so much happy

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!EQUIPMENT UPDATE!!
Last week I was able to finally get the Red Sea Reef Mat 500 and let me tell you....this thing is absolutely amazing. 5+ Stars. The water clarity is outstanding. So clear that it doesn't even look like there is water in the tank. Super quiet operation and no water trickling. Very easy installation. I watched the video on RedSea.com.... had it installed and running in less than 10 minutes.
IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

As far as the ugly stage goes, I'm in week 4 and the rocks are clearing up and the sand bed is slowly loosing its diatoms!!

Today I installed my custom Tsunami EVO lid from ClearView Lids. The lid was packed very well and super easy to install. Fit like a glove. Very clean & professional look. I really love how the lid can be easily unassembled if needed (don't recommend) Corners are uniquely cut so there is no give at all for any potential weak spots or when you would remove it for cleaning.

IMG_7389.jpeg

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

My coral pack from @TopShelfAquatics arrives this week!! I'll post pictures of the pieces as soon as I get them @i can't think ;)

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weeks worth of updates - It's up and running!!
I finally got the rock scape in the tank and my saltwater delivered last week. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Props to my LFS, it only took 45ish minutes to pump all 90 gallon of water in from the truck. On the same day of the water delivery I put in the 32 oz bottle of Fritz Turbo Start (good for 800 gallons) so the tank would essentially insta cycle.

Did you really not experience a cycle?

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you really not experience a cycle?
Yep! I added my fish and corals 2 days after just to make sure everything was good. I Fritz's Turbo Start on my last tank with he same success. It always amazes me how beneficial those bottles of bacteria can be. Highly recommend using them. I still had the ugly phase but as far as the cycle process it was setup and ready to go.

Saltyjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the tank is here! The tank was delivered on Wednesday and installed in less than 30 mins (shout out to my LFS) I complete all of the plumbing myself and that also took less than 30 minutes. RedSea pre glueing many of the pipes is super helpful as all you have to do is put them in the right place and tighten. Seems simple right.....more on that later.
IMG_7135.jpeg
IMG_7138.jpeg
IMG_7137.jpeg

Last night I went ahead and did my leak test and filled up the entire system. NO LEAKS!! But as I was observing the system, I noticed that water was not coming down the pipe with the drain valve but the other pipe. Very confusing until I realized that I installed 2 of the pipes in the overflow box in the opposite places. When I was looking at the instructions initially I didn't realize that at one point the instructions were looking at the tank from the rear. (remember images only, no words on the instructions)
So the water was flowing correctly I just had no way of controlling how much was coming down into the sump making it very loud. So once I drained the overflow box (about 4 gallons) I was able to swap them and all is good with no leaks again.
My LFS told me before hand that if I couldn't figure out the plumbing on my own then I shouldn't have a reef tank :grinning-face-with-sweat:
IMG_7150.jpeg

My LFS will deliver my saltwater at the end of next week. Until then, time to secure my rock scape, start putting together some coral packages and order a few fish. I have also decided to go ahead and upgrade to the Hydra 32s (2 for now) so I am also waiting on those to come in.
I did this exact same thing, but ish I had read this first!

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better late than never :grinning-face-with-sweat:
My sticks from Top Shelf came in a few weeks ago and have been doing great since. They stayed on a frag rack for a few weeks while I was waiting for the ugly phase to die down. Colors are not very good in the video since I didn't have my orange lense on.

After a few weeks on the rack and the rocks clearing up from diatoms/ugly phase I mounted them in their semi permanent spots. I vacuumed a section of the sand bed last weekend in the front as a test to see if the ugly phase was on its way out and 5 days later it looks the same so the next update should feature a crystal clear sand bend! Im not currently satisfied with my flow so I'll be playing around with the powerbeads. Going to try and have them on opposite sides, one on top and one lower or potential having 2 on one side. Trying to balance flow for the acros but not blasting the hammers is proving to be difficult.
IMG_5620.jpeg

Currently have these fish on order from my LFS :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Filamented Flasher Wrasse -
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.48.32 AM.png

Lineatus Fairy Wrasse -
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.45.56 AM.png

Choats Leopard Wrasse -
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.45.05 AM.png

Red Sea Regal Angelfish -
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.45.34 AM.png

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sticks from Top Shelf came in a few weeks ago and have been doing great since. They stayed on a frag rack for a few weeks while I was waiting for the ugly phase to die down. Colors are not very good in the video since I didn't have my orange lense on.

After a few weeks on the rack and the rocks clearing up from diatoms/ugly phase I mounted them in their semi permanent spots. I vacuumed a section of the sand bed last weekend in the front as a test to see if the ugly phase was on its way out and 5 days later it looks the same so the next update should feature a crystal clear sand bend! Im not currently satisfied with my flow so I'll be playing around with the powerbeads. Going to try and have them on opposite sides, one on top and one lower or potential having 2 on one side. Trying to balance flow for the acros but not blasting the hammers is proving to be difficult.
IMG_5620.jpeg

Lineatus Fairy Wrasse -

Choats Leopard Wrasse -

Love your stocking list. It’s going to look great

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5620.jpeg

Lineatus Fairy Wrasse -

Choats Leopard Wrasse -

Good luck with the choati! One of my dream leopards and that photo really shows why.

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly phase is finally over! All the sand is clear and the rocks are algae free. Full speed ahead on adding fish and especially more coral. Working now on getting my nutrient levels up and having the tank be more "dirty" so corals can regain their coloration. I'll probably start dosing RedSea AB+ slowly and see what happens. I'm hoping that and the additions of more fish (more poop) will help greatly.
Drop any coral or livestock ideas in the thread! I'm always open to suggestions :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_5679.jpeg

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some moving around of corals on the right island for my 6 new acan/micromussa frags. Really happy with how the right side has turned out, looking to add a Monti and I have a TCK Holy Smokes coming this week.
IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg

Even though I don't have it on my fish list I have always waned to have a Copperband Butterfly. Since these fish are super finicky and picky eaters ive seen many specimens and ended up passing on them. My LFS has had the same one in stock for the last month and it has had no signs of disease and is nice and fat. So I decided to get it. So far so good, already picking at rocks throughout the day and actively swimming around the tank looking for things to eat. Fingers crossed it stays healthy.
IMG_5767.jpeg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some moving around of corals on the right island for my 6 new acan/micromussa frags. Really happy with how the right side has turned out, looking to add a Monti and I have a TCK Holy Smokes coming this week.
IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg

Even though I don't have it on my fish list I have always waned to have a Copperband Butterfly. Since these fish are super finicky and picky eaters ive seen many specimens and ended up passing on them. My LFS has had the same one in stock for the last month and it has had no signs of disease and is nice and fat. So I decided to get it. So far so good, already picking at rocks throughout the day and actively swimming around the tank looking for things to eat. Fingers crossed it stays healthy.
IMG_5767.jpeg

Nice set up! Did you ever get your fish order from your LFS?

OP
OP
BlakeStew

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Did you ever get your fish order from your LFS?
Unfortunately not yet. I can order them from an out of state LFS but I don't have a QT system. My LFS is getting a large order in this week so hopefully some of what I'm looking for is going to come in. Ironically as I was typing my reply I got a notification that my 2 anthias should come in tomorrow!
Unfortunately last week I had my female clownfish find its way through a small gap in my cover and I found her the next morning on top. Was really bummed since it was one of the 2 that I got when I first got in the hobby. Still have the male and I’ll get another one but super unfortunate.

Back