OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do you plan on the Anthias harem to be?
Ideally 1 male and 3 females. I already have one female in my tank. My LFS has had another one but I want to introduce 3 other females so they can all figure out who the male will be to reduce aggression. They are currently holding 2 as one died this week.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and got any FTS?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_5765.jpeg

This is the most recent one from last week. the other side not pictured is pretty sparse with coral so the side pictured is definitely the best.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they came in and they were colored up the Fruity Pebbles and Prairie Fire were amazing along with the Daydream. I don't have a Carolina Reaper or Gorilla Glue but I do like them. Wooly Mammoth has crazy long polyps which are awesome.
Once I can get these to color up and continue to grow I have some of their HIGH HIGH end pieces on my wish list such as Rocky Balboa, Mango Madness, Sour Twist, Angry Birds. (not all of them lol, don't want $2K plus in 4 half inch pieces)
Almost snagged a Prarie Fire last night but I haven't seen a lot of photos of it besides their stock colony. Their photos are often very saturated so it's hard to tell...but I will definitely be on the look out for it next time they have a sale.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost snagged a Prarie Fire last night but I haven't seen a lot of photos of it besides their stock colony. Their photos are often very saturated so it's hard to tell...but I will definitely be on the look out for it next time they have a sale.
Having visited their farm I can say that their pictures and the pieces in real life are very accurate. Their stuff is top notch. Sometimes we forget that when they list a piece it could be on site for a few weeks and coloration can change during that time period.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news and bad news.
As for the good-
So far my maintenance routine is paying off and the dosing of @AlgaeBarn's OceanMagik is working wonders on the nuisance algae I've been dealing with. I only have one section left that is real troublesome, the rest of the tank is looking good. Need to get some more members of my CUC for the sand bed as it has a lot of areas that can be overturned to keep it nice and white. Thinking about come conchs and sand sifting stars.
As for the bad-
My Copperband has passed. I left for dinner tonight and it was actively swimming being its normal self and when I returned it was dead, laying on the sand bed motionless. It had lost weight since I got it so I'm thinking starvation even though it ate everyday. (Not a pig as I had to feed it with a syringe and it picked food out of the opening) No signs of disease and tank levels are totally normal.

Definitely irritating as I've been wanting to add more fish to have my nutrients increase naturally to help my coral's growth and coloration. Since my LFS is struggling to get fish in I'm probably going to have to order online. I'm thinking about ordering from @Dr. Reef as I like his quarantine system. I'll still setup a QT tank myself so any recommendations of online vendors are greatly appreciated. I'm familiar with @Reef Pro as well.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FLOW CHANGE:
So after the tank has been up and running for some time now I have decided to change the placement of my power heads. Initially I had both of them on the sides of the tank blowing towards the middle with them being offset of each other by a few inches.
Corals were getting appropriate flow but there were to many dead spots throughout the tank that were collecting detritus and bad for future coral placement.

I have now moved them to the back wall blowing towards the front. Corals still get the flow they need but now there is a steady flow moving through the cave on the right and the bridge on the left. Plus the tank looks more visually appealing as the pumps are hidden along the black back wall.
Apologizes for the lack of a blue filter on the lens.
IMG_6122.jpeg

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice looking tank you have there. Hope things continue to go well!
Thank you! I'm changing my plan of action for my fish stocking. Likely going to do it backwards and get the tang gang introduced followed by an angel or butterfly and finish with the other wrasses. Anthias and the singular clown will be added when they come in.
Currently thinking 2 Zebramosas and 1 Bristletooth.
Purple Tang and either a Wild Yellow or Dejardini Sail Fin along with a White Tail Kole or a Yellow eye if I can find one (Hawaii ban)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm changing my plan of action for my fish stocking. Likely going to do it backwards and get the tang gang introduced followed by an angel or butterfly and finish with the other wrasses. Anthias and the singular clown will be added when they come in.
Currently thinking 2 Zebramosas and 1 Bristletooth.
Purple Tang and either a Wild Yellow or Dejardini Sail Fin along with a White Tail Kole or a Yellow eye if I can find one (Hawaii ban)
Blake I’m sure you‘ve thought of all the cons of those 2 Zebrazoma with a Bristle-Tooth in that sized tank?

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blake I’m sure you‘ve thought of all the cons of those 2 Zebrazoma with a Bristle-Tooth in that sized tank?
Yes I have, I would love to have all 3 but realistically thinking I'll probably just end up doing one of each. Purple tang and the white tail.
To make up for the yellow I would like I'll probably do a lemon peel angel or some type of butterfly.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have, I would love to have all 3 but realistically thinking I'll probably just end up doing one of each. Purple tang and the white tail.
To make up for the yellow I would like I'll probably do a lemon peel angel or some type of butterfly.
Just watch for some aggressiveness towards an Angel or the White-Tail. I’m hoping to be getting a White-Tail myself. If you do get one make sure it’s from Tahiti as those have the deepest red color.

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along for the ride! After a lot of research and debate I finally settled on the Red Sea reefer 350 G2. Your build thread has been largely helpful in finalizing that purchase. Thank you for the tip on the stand too!

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for the ride! After a lot of research and debate I finally settled on the Red Sea reefer 350 G2. Your build thread has been largely helpful in finalizing that purchase. Thank you for the tip on the stand too!
Awesome! Glad to hear I was helpful in your decision! (don't know how I'm just now seeing this)
You should start a build thread of your own so others can also watch your progress.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock Update!
I finally have a "new" addition to the tank. As some of you may know over a month ago I lost one of my clownfish that I've had from the start of me getting into the hobby. It found a gap in my lid and I paid the price. I have had a replacement on order since the day it jumped and it finally came in today. The original pair were Gladiator Davincis from Sustainable Aquatics, I ordered a Gladiator Davinci / Fancy White as the replacement.

It finally came in today and as soon as I introduced it in the tank the remaining clown immediately came over and started brushing up against it. So far no issues at all and they have been staying with each other constantly. Already starting to see the pairing shimmy that they do when deciding dominance.
IMG_6295.JPG

The one that is centered is the new one. Not quite has vibrant as the existing one on the right but it will get there. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I couldn't help myself with TopShelf Aquatics' Black Friday sales. I went in to the sale wanting to get zoas for a zoa garden and I ended up getting a good mix of everything. I've really never been a huge fan of zoas as I know they can spread pretty fast but they have grown on me as I've seen some awesome clusters in other tanks I keep up with. I plan on having the zoas at the base of the bridge on the left.

I also picked up 2 monti frags along a Dan Aykroyd that I'm surprised wasn't listed as a chunk or mini colony & High End Mystery SPS frag. I don't like surprises when it come to livestock with the tank but I'm hoping my guys at TSA will hook me up with something good. Figured it would do some good to get out of my comfort zone.
IMG_6122.jpeg

Scrambled Eggs
image.png

Golden Temple
image.png

Dream Inceptor
image.png

Rainbow Incinerator
image.png

Rainbow Spectrum
image.png

Nuclear Fusion Monti
image.png

Megachrome Monti
image.png

Dan Aykroyd
image.png

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update for everyone following along still.
my corals from above have come in and are doing great so far. Here are a few images of them when they came in. Zoa garden is coming along very well!

Also snuck in a cleanup crew as well and they have been going to TOWN on the algae in my tank. Rocks are super clear now!!
IMG_6411.jpeg

IMG_6412.jpeg

As far as fish go, nothing new but I have revised my fish list and currently have these on order -
5 Lyretail Anthias
1 Red Sea Eightline Flasher Wrasse
1 Earmuff Wrasse
1 White Tale Kole Tang

My LFS does have this yellow tang from a tank tear down and I definitely have my eye on it. If I do end up getting the yellow I would only add the kole tang after and that would be it for big fish.
IMG_6428.jpeg

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bitter Sweet Update -
So over the last few weeks I have lost my fruity pebbles and prairie fire frags to RNT and my massive stag horn colony to STN :downcast-face-with-sweat:. I was able to frag a piece of the colony off in the summer and it is doing well but the tank definitely looks less full. All of the other corals and fish are doing quite well. I picked up a generator prior to that winter storm rolling through the U.S but didn't have to use it. Better to be prepared and not need it than not have it at your disposal.

On the bright side, thanks to Christmas I am getting a complete Neptune setup for the tank.
A3 Apex, Power Bar, Trident, & Dose. Super pumped for this addition because I will also organize my dry side of my sump and be able to really keep track of what my levels are. I'm also picking up a Hanna Nitrate reader. After this addition there really isn't any other equipment that I am wanting to get so it will be full steam ahead on adding livestock!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new year is off to hot start for the tank! My LFS was finally able to get some Anthias in and I picked up 3 females. They are doing great and sorting out their dominance to figure out who will be the male but not being super aggressive. Clownfish and Melanarus wrasse are doing just fine as well. I'm aiming to start adding corals again in late February once I can get a good idea of what my consumption looks like and the tank becomes more mature. More fish are on the way :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_6791.jpeg

As far as the Neptune update goes I have the energy bar installed along with an additional power strip for other parts of equipment that don't need the level of control that the apex offers. I am still waiting for the trident to come in and once it does I will setup the rest of the monitoring aspects of the apex. I am building this dry side of the sump off of @Broadfield's build in the past and he has been great to share some of his progress from behind the scenes.
Here are some before and afters of the upgrade in progress.
IMG_6800.jpeg
IMG_6803.jpeg
IMG_6804.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back