OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update/notes. Parameters have remained stable. Tang is eating... finally. Feeding a small nori strip every other day, which he devours. Eating PE mysis pellets as well. He remains uninterested in LRS reef frenzy which is disappointing.

Patiently awaiting the release of the @Red Sea sea reef wave 40.

Have plans to perform a 20% water change this weekend. Aquarium is a little cloudy, not bad, but if you look from bottom up into the reef lights it looks smokey... Not sure if this is a bacterial bloom or what. Reading my caribsea life rock could be the cause of this... Using filter floss, carbon and have performed a few water changes and it still hasn't cleared up. Any suggestions?

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to buy a reefer 350 this week, your aquascape is pretty dam great

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning! Completed a 15 gal water change last night. In the sump - Im currently using a 100 micron red sea sock in the first compartment of the tray and a red sea cup with a bag of red sea reef spec carbon and a little filter floss on top in the second compartment of the tray. This combo appears to be working well as the water has started to clear up a bit since adding the 100 micron sock.

I ordered a flame angel and 2 black ice clowns from @LiveAquaria - they will be delivered on Tuesday. Couldn't be more excited for these additions. Great deal as well as all 3 were purchased for $117.29.

Still holding our for the release of the @Red Sea reef wave gyre pumps. If the early reviews are positive on the red sea gyre I will be grabbing one, if not, I will go w/ the MP40.

Will post pics once the the fish mentioned above are added and when I can figure our how to take better pics!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are happy and healthy. I won't be adding any new fish for awhile now.

Ill try and capture a photo of my black ice clowns a bit later... since introducing them they have been hanging out in the corner by the overflow and are refusing to move from that spot. I love the patterns on them though.

Having a lot of fun w/ this tank. My only complaint so far is that I need to adjust my skimmer multiple times a day... is this normal? Is it still breaking in? Any comments would be appreciated.

jK3IxQh4QpKUIvDxBXevww.jpg

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy reefing all. Celebrating day #56 of the reefer 350! Completed a 10 gal water change last night, which ill estimate at 12%. Also washed both 100 micron socks for the first time, no bleach and no detergent - just ran the quick wash/extra rinse cycle and reran the same cycle again... for some reason I am still nervous about putting them back into the tank... Anyway one black ice hasn't shown any interest in any of the foods I'm feeding the tank - 1mm pellets, LRS frozen or nori. Starting to get concerned - I have watched this one specific fish closely and have never seen him eat a thing... its been 11 days. :confused:

4HfWiAZjQHSBkxF3VnnaDg.jpg

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try feeding blood worms or mysis, if the clown doesn't take to those then you should have cause for concern. If any fish fresh or salt doesn't want blood worms, i know there might be something wrong.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Celebrating day #69 of the reefer 350!

Completed a 10 gal water change this evening. Currently running 2 filter cups in the sump - tired of washing the socks. One cup has filter floss, the other has a fresh bag of carbon w/ a little floss on top.

Few updates - visited a local reefer who I met on the Greater Iowa Reef Society forum, he gave me a nepthea coral w/ reddish/pink coloration and a rainbow bubble tip...both are doing great! They were my first corals added to the tank. Still waiting on my clowns to visit the nem. Somehow my smaller clown is still alive - still no appetite.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my little clownfish perished Saturday night. Its my first fish loss in my new tank. No appetite, rapid mouth movement. His behavior/symptoms were present from day 1 - they were not developed in my tank. I am hopeful ORA can help me out with a replacement fish. I purchased 3 new foods just for this little guy!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my little clownfish perished Saturday night. Its my first fish loss in my new tank. No appetite, rapid mouth movement. His behavior/symptoms were present from day 1 - they were not developed in my tank. I am hopeful ORA can help me out with a replacement fish. I purchased 3 new foods just for this little guy!
So sorry to hear. Hopefully they help you out.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love great customer service. Jordan Noe (Director of Sales) at ORA was very understanding of my fish loss (black ice clown) and reached out to @LiveAquaria on my behalf. @LiveAquaria has provided a full refund. Thank you both! Looking forward to stocking this reefer w/ even more fish from ORA and @LiveAquaria.

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love great customer service. Jordan Noe (Director of Sales) at ORA was very understanding of my fish loss (black ice clown) and reached out to @LiveAquaria on my behalf. @LiveAquaria has provided a full refund. Thank you both! Looking forward to stocking this reefer w/ even more fish from ORA and @LiveAquaria.

No problem! Thank you for your business!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman Had a fun time checking out your tank thread. Love the new spotcinctus clown. Huge fan of those. I wish we could keep multiple clown pairs in a tank. My reefer 350 just isnt big enough for that.
LOL, mine really is not either, but I could not resist.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Celebrating day #84 of the reefer. 10 gallon water change completed, protein skimmer cup scrubbed clean and fresh floss added to the cups. I have been changing the floss every other day. LFS in the area is ordering 3 black ice clowns in the next couple weeks - ill be grabbing one for my tank leaving them with a pair. Will also be purchasing a school of black axil chromis soon. Tank parameter ares still in check. Happy reefing all!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #99. 10 gallon water change completed yesterday. Removed from the sump this time to suck up a bunch of the detritus. Parameters still in check. It sounds like my new black ice clown will be arriving this week at the LFS. No other changes or news to share. Enjoy the holiday!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #118. Water change competed on Sep 14. I have consistently completed a water change every 2 weeks since purchase. Minimal bio load at the moment with having just 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, 1 electric blue damsel and 1 black ice clownfish.

I recently purchased the Eheim Everyday Autofeeder with Eheim Feeding Station... love it. I filled the feeder w/ NLS probiotic small sinking pellets (much smaller than I thought - will purchase medium next) and have auto feedings twice a day. Also begin soaking foods in Vita Chem. I noticed my flame angel may have some HLLE... not sure though. I removed carbon as well - read a few articles/studies that this may contribute to the disease. At any rate the Vita Chem will only help overall health.

My black ice clown is in stock I will be heading down to the LFS on Monday or Tuesday to pick her up!

Hey @Red Sea when is your Reef Wave hitting the market in the US. I need a pump!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #138. Quick note to add a completed water change took place on 9/27 as well as tonight. Also purchased brittle sea star, black ice clown fish and a duncan (single head) coral from my LFS. All seem to be doing well. The flame angels fins grew back completely! Not sure if it was the carbon or the Vita Chem or a combination of both but the fins look great now.

Thinking about trying chemiclean as I have small fuzzy algae all over the rocks and am constantly scraping the glass every day getting red of algae that has a maroon/orangish tint when scraped.

Moving forward will increase the water changes from 10g to 15g. Enjoy the weekend all.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just calibrated my eheims, both were running about 2 degrees warmer than the factory setting. Aquarium should drop from 80.4 to around 78 by the morning.

Attempted to hook up my Tunze 3155 ATO but a little confused on the best approach w/ the reefer 350. I did not have enough space in the return pump area to set the sensors so I'm thinking about putting the sensors in the refugium chamber (water is very calm here, its next to the lower door bracket in pic). I was planning on mounting the return line at the top of the tank next to the overflow box to avoid any potential back siphoning. The v3 sump comes w/ a larger freshwater reservoir compared to the prior models so I will be using that tank (sits right on top of sump) for my rodi water. I believe it holds 4.7 gallons.

My question to you... any issues w/ mounting sensors in the dedicated refugium space in the V3 sumps? Putting the pump in freshwater tank (pump is in the freshwater tank in the pic) and running the return line to the top next to the overflow box?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0263.jpeg

I have an identical setup. Have the sensors in the return facing the back wall of the cabinet and the magnet for the tunze “behind” the filter socks.

BC588C1E-5AAE-4B53-98B5-E06B1F1804AA.jpeg

pink arrow pointing at the magnet, holder thing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back