Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2996 (2).jpg
@Jeffcb nice fish !!!! I love angels.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great photos. What camera did you end up getting? I need to up my photo game at some point.

since you aren’t doing a reef tank, what are you using your split sump for? Maybe I missed it if you said.

looking good!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos. What camera did you end up getting? I need to up my photo game at some point.

since you aren’t doing a reef tank, what are you using your split sump for? Maybe I missed it if you said.

looking good!

Thanks! I shot those with a Canon 6D.

I did not hook the split sump up. I use it as an ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been planning getting silicone grease for some time now from advise from others. It showed up in the mail yesterday so I decided to clean the cup on my RSK 900 skimmer. It had been a while since being removed. Took all my might to remove the cup and I thought I was going to break something getting it lose.

After cleaning I applied a thin coat of silicone grease to the O ring on the cup and reinstalled it. It popped on with ease. Definite must do when installing the cup.

20211106_114712.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Red Mithrax Crabs ate all my mushrooms. I think I have eradicated all the crabs.
My Blue Face angel pretty much snacked on every Zoanthid in the tank. Just rock now.

I have been fragging a few Green Slimers and Monti caps from my Reefer 250.
Baloo the Blue Face doesn't eat those.

IMG_3559.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dove off the deep end today and ordered a Red Sea Reefer XL3 900. Supposedly it is bobbing about on the ocean some were on its way here. Expected delivery should be in early January. Plenty of time to get to work building my mixing station.

I came home with a little box of stuff but I had to order most everything. My LFS matched the big boys pricing so I feel good about giving Local Business the order. They are even going to assemble stand and deliver it to my home. It may be drop shipped here but either way includes assembly.

Main Display 192 gal 79 Inch
Sump 48 gal. 240 Total.

Here is my Equipment build list.
  • 2 Neptune COR 20s returns
  • Apex Controller
  • Tunze3155 ATO
  • JBJ 800 Heater
  • Neptune Display Module
  • Aqua UV 57 watt
  • Sicce 3.0 for UV
  • Kessil A80 tuna for Fuge
  • 4 Red Sea ReefLED 90s
  • 2 Red Sea ReefWave 45 pumps flow
  • 1 Red Sea ReefWave 25 pump flow
  • Red Sea RSK 900 Skimmer
  • AquaMaxx XL Carbon Reactor w/Sicce 1.5
  • 2 Neptune WAVs
Update on tank. Its in and up.

900 5.jpg

03/09/21 Fist 125 lbs. of live rock.
900 2 14.jpg

06/16/21 All 210 lbs. of live rock.
IMG_0463.JPG
Beautiful

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday is here. A few days early. Gave my business to my LSF. RS equipment 10% off and RS consumables 15% off.

I have started hand dosing N0 P0-X. Nitrates were 50. A the RS recommended 5ml per 25 gallons dose for 2 weeks Nitrates dropped to 2. That's dangerous! Stopped that for now. I will tune it soon.

I dose TM All for Reef for a couple of months now and that is working. IPC test was good. It is a FOWLR tank but I do want coralline to grow along with a few corals that Baloo wont munch on.

Here is my week end project. :D

20211121_165258.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish selection! I like the blue face a lot.

Did you pre-quarantine your fish? How do you prevent diseases?

That you.

I don't have a QT. Lucky to find a LFS that will hold and let me watch the fish for a week or 3. I try and give my LFS all or most all of my business and they work with me. If a fish looks good and eats well it is healthy. When I added my 5 Tangs all at once the purple got ich bad so I am sure it is still in the tank. Two others had it for a couple of days but they beat it. 4 weeks later the purple did as well. Good feed and garlic.

Personally I don't think you can keep a sterile ich free tank. I think it is everywhere. It could be on a snail one adds to there tank or what ever. Keep the animals well fed and happy with tank condition, they will shake it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you.

I don't have a QT. Lucky to find a LFS that will hold and let me watch the fish for a week or 3. I try and give my LFS all or most all of my business and they work with me. If a fish looks good and eats well it is healthy. When I added my 5 Tangs all at once the purple got ich bad so I am sure it is still in the tank. Two others had it for a couple of days but they beat it. 4 weeks later the purple did as well. Good feed and garlic.

Personally I don't think you can keep a sterile ich free tank. I think it is everywhere. It could be on a snail one adds to there tank or what ever. Keep the animals well fed and happy with tank condition, they will shake it.
Definitely goes to show how anything is possible with reefing! I agree that unless you quarantine every single thing it’s pointless to expect complete eradication. But you were very smart by keeping the fish in the store for a few weeks. The strongest fish survived which ensured no dying fish with a large amount of parasites would get in your system. Quarantining fish is much better than quarantining nothing for this reason!

Your tank is definitely a success in my book! Keep up the great work!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb great swag you got there for Partner Membership. I joined last year but passed this year. Did you do the $100 option or $200 option? Keep us posted on the NOPOX, I don't have any method of biological filtration other than skimmer and liverock so if nutrients get out of hand I'll add NOPOX to the battle. Happy Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb great swag you got there for Partner Membership. I joined last year but passed this year. Did you do the $100 option or $200 option? Keep us posted on the NOPOX, I don't have any method of biological filtration other than skimmer and liverock so if nutrients get out of hand I'll add NOPOX to the battle. Happy Thanksgiving!
I actually don't remember but if it gave me more tickets the 200 option.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back