Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for visiting my build thread.....

Dec,3 2020

Well I dove off the deep end today and ordered a Red Sea Reefer XL3 900. Supposedly it is bobbing about on the ocean some were on its way here. Expected delivery should be in early January. Plenty of time to get to work building my mixing station.

I came home with a little box of stuff but I had to order most everything. My LFS matched the big boys pricing so I feel good about giving Local Business the order. They are even going to assemble stand and deliver it to my home. It may be drop shipped here but either way includes assembly.

Main Display 192 gal 79 Inch
Sump 48 gal. 240 Total.

Here is my Equipment build list.
  • 2 Neptune COR 20s returns
  • Apex Controller
  • Tunze3155 ATO
  • JBJ 800 Heater
  • Neptune Display Module
  • Aqua UV 57 watt
  • Sicce 3.0 for UV
  • Kessil A80 tuna for Fuge
  • 4 Red Sea ReefLED 90s
  • 2 Red Sea ReefWave 45 pumps flow
  • 1 Red Sea ReefWave 25 pump flow
  • Red Sea RSK 900 Skimmer
  • AquaMaxx XL Carbon Reactor w/Sicce 1.5
  • 2 Neptune WAVs
  • Red Sea ReefDose2

Current Stock list... 07/13/22

Flame Angel
Flameback Angel
1 Blue Eyed Sea Goldys, Anthias
Royal Grama
Tri Colored Wasse
Ruby Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Long Nose Hawkfish
Fox Face
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Vlamingii Tang
Tomini Tang
Blue Face Angel
Red Tail Trigger fish

Update on tank. Its in and up.

900 5.jpg

03/09/21 Fist 125 lbs. of live rock.
900 2 14.jpg

06/16/21 All 210 lbs. of live rock.
IMG_0463.JPG

12/26/21
IMG_3709.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice this is going to be a great build.
I would at the very least get a cpl of the bio media bricks ( # will depend on the amount of rock you use) cycling and ready to go that way you are one step closer to a smooth cycle.

I wish I had done that on my build its taking forever to decide how I wanted to plump it. should have used that time better.

so what you gonna put in this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at the very least get a cpl of the bio media bricks ( # will depend on the amount of rock you use) cycling and ready to go that way you are one step closer to a smooth cycle.

I wish I had done that on my build its taking forever to decide how I wanted to plump it. should have used that time better.

so whata gonna but in this?

FOWLR. Florida Live rock from the sea and fish. Hopefully a couple of Anemone's and clowns , Angels and Tangs!!! and more... Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea. I have some cubes in my 250. I need to add a brick! Good idea. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a great time. Btw, I was Santa Rosa hospital born myself.
Cool. San Antonio. Nix I was. Nix Hospital was the only hospital in USA that had a bar in the basement. The basement is on the River Walk. ***** Last Resort is still there. They are "rude" on purpose. FUn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to rearrange the man cave. Mixing station will have to go under the TV next to the water softener. Good weekend project..... probably all week project lol. I will keep posting progress as it happens.

20201204_140104.jpg

Last edited:

ace33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be great to see how you go with this. I want to do the same and have a 2m gap but not sure whther to go with one of these or custom. Not sure how I feel about open top for FO with bigger fish near the surface.

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 3XL 900 club! We used a Sicce 5 to feed the Aqua UV 57W, media reactor, and the Clarisea SK-5000 rollermat. This Red Sea tank is a ton of fun, we've had it running since January 17 and couldn't be more than happy. The ReefLED 90 just isn't cutting it (have 4), and we have a custom floating canopy being built and it's going to house the ReefLED 90's AND 3x Radion XR15 Pro Gen 5's. We took PAR readings a few months back and it just wasn't up to what we expected, therefore a new lighting arrangement in works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 3XL 900 club! We used a Sicce 5 to feed the Aqua UV 57W, media reactor, and the Clarisea SK-5000 rollermat. This Red Sea tank is a ton of fun, we've had it running since January 17 and couldn't be more than happy. The ReefLED 90 just isn't cutting it (have 4), and we have a custom floating canopy being built and it's going to house the ReefLED 90's AND 3x Radion XR15 Pro Gen 5's. We took PAR readings a few months back and it just wasn't up to what we expected, therefore a new lighting arrangement in works.
Thank you! I am going to start with 4 LED 90s and may add fifth once up and running. This is going to FOWLR (fish only with live rock) so I am hoping the 4 are enough. I'm sure I will do some anemones and leathers but no sps ect. My goal is Angels and Tangs. I saw a Gem Tang today but doubt I would ever spend 500 bucks on a fish. And that was on sale half price LOL. Lots of time to think about were it will go!

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am going to start with 4 LED 90s and may add fifth once up and running. This is going to FOWLR (fish only with live rock) so I am hoping the 4 are enough. I'm sure I will do some anemones and leathers but no sps ect. My goal is Angels and Tangs. I saw a Gem Tang today but doubt I would ever spend 500 bucks on a fish. And that was on sale half price LOL. Lots of time to think about were it will go!
I'm wanting to add a male Bellus and eventually an Achilles Tang...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Tank should be here in January. Lots of time for planning. Hopefully 2021 is a better year for everyone!

Did they not have it in stock in Texas when you bought it? guess they had to ship it from overseas?
do you have to go pick up at hub or are they delivering to home? ask ask as I think think length max is 6 or 7 feet i forget.

and yes lets hope for all that 2021 will be better :)

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they not have it in stock in Texas when you bought it? guess they had to ship it from overseas?
do you have to go pick up at hub or are they delivering to home? ask ask as I think think length max is 6 or 7 feet i forget.

and yes lets hope for all that 2021 will be better :)
Yes. They said it was in a container otw. They are going to drop ship it at my house. LSF that I order it from has agreed to assemble stand and move tank inside.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back