Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be doable to drill/cut a pass-through?
I don't see why not. The center divider is 1 1/2 inches thick. My Aqua UV 57 watt fits horizontal on center divider with 1/4 inch clearance.

20210218_120755.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got they brown ugly!

I have done 3, 60 gallon water changes since added 125 lbs of live rock.

Added 20 various snails and they are working hard.

Dos MicroBacter 7 and Red Sea Kh Coralline Grow daily.

Going to order 75 pounds of more Live Rock shipped in water from KP soon.

b rock1.jpg
b rock 2.jpg
b rock 2.jpg
b rock 3.jpg
opr.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to track my hours of labor for the first 30 days of my 3XL 900. The first 20 hrs. were my LFS that built the stand and lifted the tank. I did the rest. This doesn't include building the mixing station or time acquiring and researching stuff. 73

A dog would of been a lot cheaper and much less work. lol

hours.jpg

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to track my hours of labor for the first 30 days of my 3XL 900. The first 20 hrs. were my LFS that built the stand and lifted the tank. I did the rest. This doesn't include building the mixing station or time acquiring and researching stuff. 73

A dog would of been a lot cheaper and much less work. lol

hours.jpg
But the fish won't crap on the carpet!

Attachments

• 20180310_173915.jpg
    20180310_173915.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 64

RicksBattery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dove off the deep end today and ordered a Red Sea Reefer XL3 900. Supposedly it is bobbing about on the ocean some were on its way here. Expected delivery should be in early January. Plenty of time to get to work building my mixing station.

I came home with a little box of stuff but I had to order most everything. My LFS matched the big boys pricing so I feel good about giving Local Business the order. They are even going to assemble stand and deliver it to my home. It may be drop shipped here but either way includes assembly.

Main Display 192 gal 79 Inch
Sump 48 gal. 240 Total.

Here is my Equipment build list.
  • 2 Neptune COR 20s returns
  • Apex Controller
  • Tunze3155 ATO
  • JBJ 800 Heater
  • Neptune Display Module
  • Aqua UV 57 watt
  • Sicce 3.0 for UV
  • Kessil A80 tuna for Fuge
  • 4 Red Sea ReefLED 90s
  • 2 Red Sea ReefWave 45 pumps flow
  • 1 Red Sea ReefWave 25 pump flow
  • Red Sea RSK 900 Skimmer
Update on tank. Its in and up.

900 5.jpg

900 2 14.jpg

03/09/21
Very nice, I'm jealo
Well I dove off the deep end today and ordered a Red Sea Reefer XL3 900. Supposedly it is bobbing about on the ocean some were on its way here. Expected delivery should be in early January. Plenty of time to get to work building my mixing station.

I came home with a little box of stuff but I had to order most everything. My LFS matched the big boys pricing so I feel good about giving Local Business the order. They are even going to assemble stand and deliver it to my home. It may be drop shipped here but either way includes assembly.

Main Display 192 gal 79 Inch
Sump 48 gal. 240 Total.

Here is my Equipment build list.
  • 2 Neptune COR 20s returns
  • Apex Controller
  • Tunze3155 ATO
  • JBJ 800 Heater
  • Neptune Display Module
  • Aqua UV 57 watt
  • Sicce 3.0 for UV
  • Kessil A80 tuna for Fuge
  • 4 Red Sea ReefLED 90s
  • 2 Red Sea ReefWave 45 pumps flow
  • 1 Red Sea ReefWave 25 pump flow
  • Red Sea RSK 900 Skimmer
Update on tank. Its in and up.

900 5.jpg

900 2 14.jpg

Very nice

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first fish.

Yesterday I added a Diamond Goby, Lawnmower Blenny and a Bi-Colored Goby. I have seen each of those one time each since. No top yet, but soon. I hope they don't jump!

Today I added 5 female Lyretail Anthias. Lets see how that goes?

Anthias.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the COR 20s? I was planning to plug some DC pumps into my EB832 ( I have plenty of spare outlets not being used) and put flow sensors on the return lines. This would give me power monitoring and flow monitoring. Do you feel the other monitoring features the COR20 has when connected the Apex are useful enough to warrant the ~$700 cost to make that switch?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. I didn't waist an AC outlet on the EB832, they are connected with the AquaBus connector.
They are very adjustable with the Apex. I have them set at 16% on feed mode and 85% when on. That seems to be good. I do not see a need for flow meters. Happy so far.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. I didn't waist an AC outlet on the EB832, they are connected with the AquaBus connector.
They are very adjustable with the Apex. I have them set at 16% on feed mode and 85% when on. That seems to be good. I do not see a need for flow meters. Happy so far.
Thanks for the feedback. If I picked a pair up, I would connect them via AquaBus as well. Have you found the IQ Level or obstruction detection useful yet?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. If I picked a pair up, I would connect them via AquaBus as well. Have you found the IQ Level or obstruction detection useful yet?
I recently re-calibrated both of them manually with the driver to raise the flow after installing strainers. When done I noticed 1 at 80% and the other at 85%. I raised the lower in IQ level. I noticed the rpm of the lower didn't change for a while but eventually raised and matched.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently re-calibrated both of them manually with the driver to raise the flow after installing strainers. When done I noticed 1 at 80% and the other at 85%. I raised the lower in IQ level. I noticed the rpm of the lower didn't change for a while but eventually raised and matched.
What do you mean by you re-calibrated them manually?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To set the pump to the amount of flow you want.
Okay, I had to go watch some videos on the COR 20. The term calibration, which I realize NS calls it, was throwing me off. Once you put the strainers on, you had to reset the min and max flow (power levels) that the pumps would run at. That makes sense.

I also saw in the videos that you could program the flow/power levels via Fusion to change through out the day. Do you know if you use that programing if it over rides the min max levels you set? Or when you set the min, the pump then considers that 0% power and the set max as 100% power?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back