Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3XL900 is in and up! Lots of work to do.

900 4.jpg
900 5.jpg
900 3.jpg
900 6.jpg
stand 1.jpg
stand 2.jpg

Last edited:

ace33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Can you isolate the smaller tank if needs be? I'm thinking WC tank potentially.

I wish they did these with a closed top option too.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Can you isolate the smaller tank if needs be? I'm thinking WC tank potentially.

I wish they did these with a closed top option too.
Yes. And I did that. I will use the 16 gallon extension section of the sump as a R/O reservoir for a Tunze ATO system.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After retrieving the the Reef Wave pumps magnet out of the bottom of the overflow I decided to drill a hole in the magnet, and attached it with about a foot and a half of 30 lb. fishing line to the overflow pipe.

The water is finally clearing.

Fishing line.jpg
Water clearing.jpg

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After retrieving the the Reef Wave pumps magnet out of the bottom of the overflow I decided to drill a hole in the magnet, and attached it with about a foot and a half of 30 lb. fishing line to the overflow pipe.

The water is finally clearing.

Fishing line.jpg
Water clearing.jpg
Sorry one more question what is the purpose of the fishing line?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which store did you get these from? I love you build.
Tractor Supply. They are a lot cheaper online but the shipping is horrifical.
Sorry one more question what is the purpose of the fishing line?
Not a very good pic. The Reef Wave 25 Pump has a magnet that goes on the other side of the glass. With it being mounted on the overflow box, the magnet came lose and fell to the bottom of the over flow box. is difficult to retrieve from the bottom of the overflow. I drilled a hole in the magnet and tied 30 pound fishing line to it so if if come lose again I pull it up with the line.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 lbs of KP live rock is in the water yesterday. A lot of Starfish, Urchins, Small Crabs Feather Dusters, Warns, and even a Cowry. Ver happy. 1 Gorilla Crab.... he is gone.

Today Ammonia 0.3. ORP dropped 100. I did a 60 gallon water change as Phillip with KP suggested .

I will re arrange the rock soon. Another 100 lbs should do it.

Live 3.jpg Live 4.jpg Rock 7.jpg Live 6.jpg

Last edited:

cpachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the build thread so far. Following since I'll be starting my own RSR 3XL 900 build this month. Question for you....the UV sterilizers I'm looking at are 43 inches long. Would there be a way to mount something this long on the ceiling of the cabinet, or is there something solid that goes all the way to the top? From marketing pictures, it looks like one of the return lines spans across the center dividing line....but can't tell if there is a cutout for it...or it the center divider doesn't reach the top.

Can you share pictures underneath? And offer your thoughts on where on earth to mount/plumb 43 inch long UV sterilizers?

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP live rock shipped in water.

5 days with 3-60 gallon water changes ammonia is zero. Shipped in water is worth the extra expense.

I think another 75 pounds will be enough. Goin to need a top.

900 2 14.jpg
Rock 1.jpg
Rock3.jpg
Rock2.jpg
That's some nice looking live rock. I was considering buying from KP, but I bit the bullet and bought 50 lbs of Fiji live rock from Live Rock n' Reef. Should be here in about a week, planning to augment the dry rock that I cycled and currently have in the tank.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the build thread so far. Following since I'll be starting my own RSR 3XL 900 build this month. Question for you....the UV sterilizers I'm looking at are 43 inches long. Would there be a way to mount something this long on the ceiling of the cabinet, or is there something solid that goes all the way to the top? From marketing pictures, it looks like one of the return lines spans across the center dividing line....but can't tell if there is a cutout for it...or it the center divider doesn't reach the top.

Can you share pictures underneath? And offer your thoughts on where on earth to mount/plumb 43 inch long UV sterilizers?I dont know about that.

The tank is 79 inches long. The Cabinet has a 1.5 inch plywood divider in the middle. I don't think so.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some nice looking live rock. I was considering buying from KP, but I bit the bullet and bought 50 lbs of Fiji live rock from Live Rock n' Reef. Should be here in about a week, planning to augment the dry rock that I cycled and currently have in the tank.
I looked into that. Looks nice. Its just out of water for so long. KP Caribbean rock is to my tank in 4-5 day after plucked. Sits in Key Largo in a holding tank from Thursday till Monday when shipped in water, Didn't have to cycle. Ammonia zero in 5 days with water changes. I am not using base rock. I think I need 75 pounds more.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into that. Looks nice. Its just out of water for so long. KP Caribbean rock is to my tank in 4-5 day after plucked. Sits in Key Largo in a holding tank from Thursday till Monday when shipped in water, Didn't have to cycle. Ammonia zero in 5 days with water changes. I am not using base rock. I think I need 75 pounds more.
I kind of wish they'd ship the Fiji rock in water, so it hopefully won't be in shipping for too long, but it is a long journey. I'm going to add it directly to the tank, kick start the cycle since the aquarium is new. There's some really good live rock suppliers in Florida/Gulf of Mexico; I was just adamant that my rock had to come from the Indo-Pacific. For what I paid, I'm expecting an entire coral atoll to show up at my door... *sigh*

Back