Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far.....

5 Lyretail Anthias
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored Wrasse
Longfin Fairy Wrasse
Bi colored Blenny
A few shrimp

I added a Lawnmower and a Diamond goby but haven't seen them in days. Still waiting on my ClearView Lid. They are not on the floor.

Going to add other community fish, a Lemon Peel and Flame and then probably 4 or 5 tangs and a large angel.
Hopefully a Blueface Angelfish. That is the plan so far.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I had to go watch some videos on the COR 20. The term calibration, which I realize NS calls it, was throwing me off. Once you put the strainers on, you had to reset the min and max flow (power levels) that the pumps would run at. That makes sense.

I also saw in the videos that you could program the flow/power levels via Fusion to change through out the day. Do you know if you use that programing if it over rides the min max levels you set? Or when you set the min, the pump then considers that 0% power and the set max as 100% power?
I'm not sure, probably. I just run them at 85% max and Reef Waves change flow about 10 times a day.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far.....

5 Lyretail Anthias
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored Wrasse
Longfin Fairy Wrasse
Bi colored Blenny
A few shrimp

I added a Lawnmower and a Diamond goby but haven't seen them in days. Still waiting on my ClearView Lid. They are not on the floor.

Going to add other community fish, a Lemon Peel and Flame and then probably 4 or 5 tangs and a large angel.
Hopefully a Blueface Angelfish. That is the plan so far.
Nice stocking list. I still need to sort out what I want in my tank for smaller fish. I also need to try and not over stock on the larger ones as well! lol The Blueface Angels are really pretty. I'd love to have one of those in my tank one day as well.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for Fish Only With Live Rock FOWLR....
I have been adding Mushrooms and Zoas over the last month. But that's ok!

Still waiting on tank top before adding any more fish. Diamond Goby tile surfed. Mushrooms and Zoas cant jump out.

Still want to learn how to take tank pics. These pics suc. I wonder what camera I should get?

20210411_154431.jpg
20210411_154344.jpg
20210411_154318.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cant wait to open boxes. I already have an RSK 300 and the 900 is exactly the same except bigger.

It a BEAST. Its HUGE. The Reefer Skimmer 900 should be perfect for the 3XL900 Beast that otw.

The only other skimmer I have owned was was Sanders. I don't think anyone imports those anymore. Anyways I don't know much about the others available. I just figured I would use the entire Red Sea system.

Red Sea skimmers are really nice with several unique features I like that I don't see on some others.
Has a FoamView™ window in the skimmer neck so you can easily see the bubble formation inside the skimmer neck.
Intergraded neck cleaner that wipes sludge of the collection cup walls. .
Drainage port includes a tube and valve.
Very reliable Sicce PSK pump.
It assembles and disassembles in 3-4 minutes for easy cleaning.

Cant wait for the real Beast to arrive.

skimmer 3.jpg
Skimmer 1.jpg
skimmer 4.jpg
Silicone grease for the cup o-ring. U probably already figured that out by now.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tractor Supply. They are a lot cheaper online but the shipping is horrifical.

Not a very good pic. The Reef Wave 25 Pump has a magnet that goes on the other side of the glass. With it being mounted on the overflow box, the magnet came lose and fell to the bottom of the over flow box. is difficult to retrieve from the bottom of the overflow. I drilled a hole in the magnet and tied 30 pound fishing line to it so if if come lose again I pull it up with the line.
You drilled through the center rubber casing part not the magnet itself though right? Magnets and salt water are not a good combo.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. If I picked a pair up, I would connect them via AquaBus as well. Have you found the IQ Level or obstruction detection useful yet?
One cool feature I found was the % temperature. Make a note of it now, likely around 55%. When it hits 70 or so, it is a good time to clean it. I got about a year before cleaning.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drilled through the center rubber casing part not the magnet itself though right? Magnets and salt water are not a good combo.
Yes I did. The magnets are on either side however there is a steel bar that runs the length of the casting. The best I could do was to silicone the hole and let dry for a day.
One cool feature I found was the % temperature. Make a note of it now, likely around 55%. When it hits 70 or so, it is a good time to clean it. I got about a year before cleaning.

That is an excellent idea. Temp is at 56% now after running a couple months. I will watch that. Thanks

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the new rock, the tank is looking amazing. I too bought KP aquatics live rock, and I have heard nothing but good things. Have you noticed a lot of hitch hikers on the rock?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the new rock, the tank is looking amazing. I too bought KP aquatics live rock, and I have heard nothing but good things. Have you noticed a lot of hitch hikers on the rock?

Quite a few. Mostly good ones, star fish, worms , urchins crabs ect. A few bad, 1 Gorilla crab and some other crab. 2 fire worms.
20210418_191702.jpg
20210418_084716.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
Tri Colored Wrasse
Orange back Wrasse.

They have all Tile Surfed in the last week. And Diamond Goby
No more fish until Clearview Pieces Exo Lid shows up. They tell me its in que to be made May 6th.

Harvested refugium. Harrys Aquatics gave me some Kool Apex logo pieces with my order.

3 months now. If my Skimmer is growing coralline algae does that mean its time to detail it? :D :cool:

20210426_153456.jpg

20210426_153548.jpg

Last edited:

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was drop shipped for the dealer directly from Red Sea Houston. Central Freight was really cool about it. Fist of all it was raining but I just asked and he said no problem. It might of helped that the drivers assistant has had a reef tanks.
About how long did the shipping take from Houston to your house?

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long. They gave me tracking info with Central Freight. Do you have one on the way?
I am waiting for my S-1000 to ship. I'm hopeful it goes out soon. I've had some Red Sea reps tell me they should ship Friday, some said they wont ship until the end of June. Just curious to the time it takes once it ships to be delivered.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for my S-1000 to ship. I'm hopeful it goes out soon. I've had some Red Sea reps tell me they should ship Friday, some said they wont ship until the end of June. Just curious to the time it takes once it ships to be delivered.
Congratulations. They gave me a delivery date about a month in advance. Once it shipped I had a tracking number. It was 4 or 5 days I think.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back