Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that summer is here my tank has been heating up quite a bit. I keep the temp in the house at 77 but am seeing the tank push 80 and get near 81. With the refugium light and all the pumps in the sump its like an oven in there.

About 2 weeks ago I installed a Wathia 120mm fan in my sump. It came with a speed controller and power supply. On Amazon for 18 bucks. It is extremely loud. The good news is the it works and is keeping the tank temp right at 79. It has not busted 79.5 in the last two weeks!

Today I installed a Noctua cooling fan. It is silent. Its amazing what a simple cooling fan can do for tank temps.

20210527_162814.jpg

20210614_191811.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 tangs about 3 weeks ago. Just now getting around to taking pics.

Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Kole Tang
Scopas Tang
Clown tang

The Clown Tang died after about 3 days. The Purple Tang started getting Ich and was covered in spots. I saw a few spots on a couple other tangs but they seemed to shake them with in a couple of days. . I have been feeding well with Garlic and keeping weekly water changes up. Updated pics on next post.

IMG_0362.JPG

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawk Fish. I really wanted a Hawk Fish. Big one.

Added a Conch at the same time. The Conch berried itself and the Hawk deiced it was his perch. I guess they are buddy's.

Long Nose eats well! Hopefully finds a better perch. I sure the Conch will move!

Yes I need to clean the glass at gravel level.....
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught this jerk! I think him and his big brother have been eating my Zoas. He was a little over 2 inches across.

IMG_0739 (3).JPG
@Jeffcb I wouldn’t put it past him, he has a major guilty look on his face.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love your build, love the tank and the fish!! and reading your journey! Makes me all excited!

I'm expecting my 3xl 900 end of september. also getting some of the same RS equipment (wave pumps, skimmer, 4 160s lights) and 2 cor-20 pumps. Definitely will get some inlet guards. I have a couple questions:
1-how deep is the overflow (starting my scape by the weekend)
2-what is the width of the return pump area (Want to add inlet guards and need to know how big they can be if I can't get what you have)

I also plan to get the same lid. I want 2 cord holes on either side of the overflow. What are the measurements from side to edge of overflow? Inside glass to overflow? They take so long I want to get it ordered. Your lids down have an overflow cutout? Does it need one?

Looking forward to following along

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love your build, love the tank and the fish!! and reading your journey! Makes me all excited!

I'm expecting my 3xl 900 end of september. also getting some of the same RS equipment (wave pumps, skimmer, 4 160s lights) and 2 cor-20 pumps. Definitely will get some inlet guards. I have a couple questions:
1-how deep is the overflow (starting my scape by the weekend)
The overflow is 21.75 inches from the bottom glass and the teeth start at 22.75 inches from the bottom glass.

2-what is the width of the return pump area (Want to add inlet guards and need to know how big they can be if I can't get what you have)
The return pump section width is 13.5 inches. You will need a shinny one like I have because of were the return pluming come down is near the wall. The ones I have are from Harry's Aquatics. If they show out of stock you can contact @TheHarold and he will probably make them for you.
I also plan to get the same lid. I want 2 cord holes on either side of the overflow. What are the measurements from side to edge of overflow? Inside glass to overflow? They take so long I want to get it ordered. Your lids down have an overflow cutout? Does it need one?

Looking forward to following along

The measurement from the side of the overflow to the inside glass is 28 3/8 inches but here is a light mount there. Make a light mount notch just a little wider. You do not need a cut out for the overflow. Its below the top. Clearview Lids makes a WYSIWYG 3XL900 top but it wouldn't work for me. It would have to many spots a wrasse could jump out. I did lose 3 wrasses while I waited 3 months for my lid. It was worth the wait. Order early. I have 4 RS 90s but I be leave the mounts are the same. You need to check that to make sure. Here is the drawing I sent Clearview and they used to built my top with. I would say you can use that and modify it to suite you needs.

Thank you for the nice comment and If you need anything else let me know. I will be following your build.
I think you will love your RS 3XL900. I sure do mine

Clearview.jpg
firstlightm.jpg
!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How wide is the overflow (ie how far into the tank does it stick?) Looks like 4 or 5"?

I won't need lights on the tank as they will go on the wall above the tank. So is 27.5 from the inside glass to the outside of the overflow? That is where I want my cord slots. I'm sure off a bit won't matter. Might have 2 put in each corner as well for just in case. I plan to use the mp40's which keep cords out of the water.

Did you get the inserts for yours? Thinking of doing that to keep humidity down (in a 10x10 room). And thanks for the follow!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How wide is the overflow (ie how far into the tank does it stick?) Looks like 4 or 5"?

I won't need lights on the tank as they will go on the wall above the tank. So is 27.5 from the inside glass to the outside of the overflow? That is where I want my cord slots. I'm sure off a bit won't matter. Might have 2 put in each corner as well for just in case. I plan to use the mp40's which keep cords out of the water.

Did you get the inserts for yours? Thinking of doing that to keep humidity down (in a 10x10 room). And thanks for the follow!
No. Its 27.5 to the light mount. If your not using light mounts that's not the number. It 28 3/8s inch from inside glass to overflow box. The over flow box is 5 inches front to back.

Back