Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb 5 gallon bucket full of mantis shrimp. I wouldn’t stick my hand in there !!!!
E0D62EC3-455B-4C7B-B3D2-B031A2B0BCD5.png

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff, your tank is looking good man. For the pics of your fish, it looks like you might be getting some motion blur from them swimming. You should bump up your shutter speed to help with that. If doing that makes your images too dark, you might also have to bump up your ISO as well. If your tank lights are not already at 100% brightness when taking your photos, do that instead of upping the ISO (this will help keep noise down with the 6D). A few minutes of 100% tank light will not hurt anything and will really help with the camera settings.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff, your tank is looking good man. For the pics of your fish, it looks like you might be getting some motion blur from them swimming. You should bump up your shutter speed to help with that. If doing that makes your images too dark, you might also have to bump up your ISO as well. If your tank lights are not already at 100% brightness when taking your photos, do that instead of upping the ISO (this will help keep noise down with the 6D). A few minutes of 100% tank light will not hurt anything and will really help with the camera settings.
Thanks for your advise. I will try that. The last pic of the angel was 1/60 sec at 4000 ISO. The tang before was 1/100 at 4000 ISO. I am learning and just starting to shoot on manual mode. Lots of room to go up on ISO but I will try raising the light instead.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I want to keep adding fish? .......Am I playing with fire?

None of these fish have been quarantined. A few were at the LFS for a few weeks.
I did have a small ich outbreak about 6 months ago that a couple of them got and shook off quickly.

I do have the itch. What will be my next fish? :cool:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I want to keep adding fish? .......Am I playing with fire?

None of these fish have been quarantined. A few were at the LFS for a few weeks.
I did have a small ich outbreak about 6 months ago that a couple of them got and shook off quickly.

I do have the itch. What will be my next fish? :cool:
@Jeffcb check out this stuff. Can’t completely replace quarantine but sure does beat the dump and hope method.

—Mitch.

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years how are you liking that tank? Was thinking about it but would have to do a ton of work to figure out all the cost.

What are the white jugs you use to hold that water? I could use some of those.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years how are you liking that tank? Was thinking about it but would have to do a ton of work to figure out all the cost.

Very happy. I am liking it! I do like RS products.

It is not a quick process, building a tank that size but lots of fun.

65 gallon tanks I got at Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, very nice tank, I was just wondering what you used to mount the Aqua UV ballast, and where you got them, currently also trying to figure out how to mount mine lol

I don't remember the size. You will need to measure it. BRS, Surface mounting clamp for pvc pipe.

20220125_170358.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is so true! It took me a good 6 months of researching and budgeting to start my tank. But worth it to plan what you can!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been planning getting silicone grease for some time now from advise from others. It showed up in the mail yesterday so I decided to clean the cup on my RSK 900 skimmer. It had been a while since being removed. Took all my might to remove the cup and I thought I was going to break something getting it lose.

After cleaning I applied a thin coat of silicone grease to the O ring on the cup and reinstalled it. It popped on with ease. Definite must do when installing the cup.

20211106_114712.jpg
good idea! I have some, forget why I got so will do this for sure! My hands are small and that skimmer cup is so big lol's

365reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build bro!
KP rock is the best out there in my opinion, so much fun finding new life every day!
I got five of those crabs on my first order, two mantis shrimps, one just like yours and one rare colored one that I’ve never seen before! My kids made me set up a tank for each one! We have five tanks thanks to KP rock lol!
We also got several kinds of feather dusters, baby pencil urchin, corals and more! I may do another large tank just so I can buy more of it! My triggers loved the crabs!
Let me know if you find me a shark egg!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a 5 inch P. imperator Angel Fish on Saturday. It was touch and go for a couple of days with Baloo my 6 in Blue face chasing him relentlessly. The Blueface has his self 2 different caves he likes and is really very skittish or shy. The Emperor has found himself his own cave. I have left the lights low for several days and am bring them up tomorrow.

He was in a QT at my LFS for 4 weeks and ate well. I still have not seen him eat here. With 20 fish in a feeding freezy its quite busy. He did eat both pellets and frozen at LFS. Hopefully he will eat soon. I should be able to get some pics soon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back