Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900 questions

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions:

Going to go with 3 reef led 160s leds that they offer. Instead of mounting arms, hubby will build another light fixture. Question is: how high over the water should the lights be? Same as though I was using the red sea arms? Would 4 of the 90s be better?

How big is the overflow side to side, how far from the sides of tank, and how deep. Planning my rock scape.

Anything I should know about this tank?
Here is the mounting of my current lights that he will do. The lights will swing out of the way. thanks
20210321_122639.jpg

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does this system have any manifolds? If I have to add, where would I add them.

Sorry no one answered you, manifold you'll have to DIY and mounting the lights I'd defer to red seas recommended height. I run radions on mine with the arms although I think a floating canopy that's height adjustable is in my future with Xhos

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no one answered you, manifold you'll have to DIY and mounting the lights I'd defer to red seas recommended height. I run radions on mine with the arms although I think a floating canopy that's height adjustable is in my future with Xhos
thanks. I'm going to have the lfs do one for me as he'll install the plumbiing.

The red sea lights are 8" off the water. That is for 3 of the 160s. With 32" spread. I'm doing 4 so I don't know if it is the same 8" or higher as there are more lights.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I'm going to have the lfs do one for me as he'll install the plumbiing.

The red sea lights are 8" off the water. That is for 3 of the 160s. With 32" spread. I'm doing 4 so I don't know if it is the same 8" or higher as there are more lights.

I have 4 xr30's on mine at 8 or so and I see shadowing that'll be problematic. That's why I'm debating the xhos. Just to fill in the spots that look too dark, I got a par meter to see if I will really need to add them, we'll see

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 xr30's on mine at 8 or so and I see shadowing that'll be problematic. That's why I'm debating the xhos. Just to fill in the spots that look too dark, I got a par meter to see if I will really need to add them, we'll see
let me know!

Craig085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions:

Going to go with 3 reef led 160s leds that they offer. Instead of mounting arms, hubby will build another light fixture. Question is: how high over the water should the lights be? Same as though I was using the red sea arms? Would 4 of the 90s be better?

How big is the overflow side to side, how far from the sides of tank, and how deep. Planning my rock scape.

Anything I should know about this tank?
Here is the mounting of my current lights that he will do. The lights will swing out of the way. thanks
20210321_122639.jpg
Hi Susan,

I have recently replaced 2x Mitras LX6s for 3x RedSea 160s lights. I am using the universal mounting arms and have since made my DIY mounting bracket redundant.

When it comes to mounting height, I would stick to the recommended 12” (31cm) from the stadium lens to the waters surface, unless you have a PAR meter, in that case you can free mount them at your own height, just be careful to look for hot spots and overlapping. If you mount them too high, you’ll need to run them at a higher wattage to meet the same PAR and also have excess light spill into the room. The stadium lens is designed to be mounted 12” from the water surface. So I would start there when it comes to designing your mounting frame.

How deep and wide is your tank?

hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan,

I have recently replaced 2x Mitras LX6s for 3x RedSea 160s lights. I am using the universal mounting arms and have since made my DIY mounting bracket redundant.

When it comes to mounting height, I would stick to the recommended 12” (31cm) from the stadium lens to the waters surface, unless you have a PAR meter, in that case you can free mount them at your own height, just be careful to look for hot spots and overlapping. If you mount them too high, you’ll need to run them at a higher wattage to meet the same PAR and also have excess light spill into the room. The stadium lens is designed to be mounted 12” from the water surface. So I would start there when it comes to designing your mounting frame.

How deep and wide is your tank?

hope this helps you out.
I just measured. My husband mounted them 12" above the tank from light and water is about 1.5 down, so they are just a tad higher. If he measured from the box to water, they are 12 lol's. I'm running 80/12 on them. Tank is 25.6 x25.6 in depth and width

Craig085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just measured. My husband mounted them 12" above the tank from light and water is about 1.5 down, so they are just a tad higher. If he measured from the box to water, they are 12 lol's. I'm running 80/12 on them. Tank is 25.6 x25.6 in depth and width
That’s perfectly fine, you’ll get slightly better spread and less shadows at that height. Glad you got it sorted!

Back