Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Mixed Tank

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible tank. I just moved to Parkland and I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years or so and am about to pull the trigger on a 425xl. Did you do anything special with the plumbing and how did you install the call reactor?

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible tank. I just moved to Parkland and I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years or so and am about to pull the trigger on a 425xl. Did you do anything special with the plumbing and how did you install the call reactor?

I hard pluming the return line with two gate valve for using media reactors, but to be honest Im not using the media reactor as is not necessary for bio-load. At the beginning I was doing carbon and gfo, but now I only use gfo when is necessary.

The reactor is on a separate cabinet, feeding the reactor with a versa pump “pushing water through “

When you’re ready for corals shoot me a PM, I always have some frags around.

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, decided to move on from the t5 after probably a year. So now I got two additional radion xr30w pro g4 for a total of 3. Calcium reactor have been solid for the last few months so basically now the plan is let it grow until no more room is available.

Reefer 425xl Radions.jpg

Last edited:

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stellar setup! Do you know your par on Lights? Thanks for the offer on frags as well. I may need to take you up on that one day!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank, can we have a further look on your dosing?
or is it only water changes and a calcium reactor?

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank, can we have a further look on your dosing?
or is it only water changes and a calcium reactor?

Thanks!

I do dose trace elements from Tropic Marin, following their label recommendations. Also I try to do monthly or bi-monthly ICP test and correct elements that are out of recommendations. Because the tanks is full now, the consumption of trace elements is very high so water changes and reactor is not enough.

Robinson

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! I’ve recently been floating the idea of a new 425 setup. Would love to see the updated sump area pics including the calcium reactor installed. Have you had any issues with the sump you’d would change at the start of your build if you were doing it over again?

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been almost a year since your last photo update, time to share a new one with us!

Sadly this was the last picture, February of this year tank had a leak. Lucky me I already had plans for an upgrade and the new tank was around, still the tank was not ready for the transfer and had to place all corals in an emergency tank. All of this in a rush. As expected I lost all big colonies but was lucky enough to keep frags.

IMG_5753.jpeg

This is the last picture of this tank before the storm.

IMG_5097 (1).jpeg

I need to create a new thread for the new tank, I have now an IM 200EXT

IMG_0418.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back