Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Mixed Tank

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a waterproof LED plant grow light from amazon, have been in my tank for two years already and strong. Grow chaeto like crazy and is only $32.00.

Great tank, great pictures. I know the overall dimensions of your refugium light but can you tell me the dimensions of the lighting portion?
Thanks

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, great pictures. I know the overall dimensions of your refugium light but can you tell me the dimensions of the lighting portion?
Thanks

Thanks!

The refugium is a tetra aquarium inside of my sump, the dimensions are 10" D x 10"W x 10.512"H. The light covers all that area and the light is around 8" over the water line. I did have to put some covers around the light to avoid light around the others equipment's in the sump, so you will have a very good coverage. Also the same light comes in a dual model if your looking for more power and coverage.

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 only with reefbrite shot

F58FBC2C-3016-4826-8151-531683C4ED78.jpeg

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The refugium is a tetra aquarium inside of my sump, the dimensions are 10" D x 10"W x 10.512"H. The light covers all that area and the light is around 8" over the water line. I did have to put some covers around the light to avoid light around the others equipment's in the sump, so you will have a very good coverage. Also the same light comes in a dual model if your looking for more power and coverage.

Thanks
I think I didn't explain well enough.
I have an HOB refugium with limited space. Even the smaller light would extend over it, but if the size of the lighting element itself (not the black trim around it) were small enough, I might be able to still place it on top of my fuge.

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I think I didn't explain well enough.
I have an HOB refugium with limited space. Even the smaller light would extend over it, but if the size of the lighting element itself (not the black trim around it) were small enough, I might be able to still place it on top of my fuge.

Now I understand, the LED element is around 1". But remember that the fixture itself get hot as is a passive cooling light. So take this in consideration if the light is going to be in contact with the surface of the refugium.

Last edited:

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank! I'm getting ready to add my first few fish in soon. I also just got my package in yesterday of the same exact grow light for the refugium! I hope it works for me as well as it does for you. I'll be adding cheato and pods soon my end goal is a dragonet like you have. How long did it take for you to gain a population of pods sustainable for him? do you dose phyto, and pods? Just curious so I can hope for a successful first attempt. Thanks.

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank! I'm getting ready to add my first few fish in soon. I also just got my package in yesterday of the same exact grow light for the refugium! I hope it works for me as well as it does for you. I'll be adding cheato and pods soon my end goal is a dragonet like you have. How long did it take for you to gain a population of pods sustainable for him? do you dose phyto, and pods? Just curious so I can hope for a successful first attempt. Thanks.

Hi,

Light will work great, mine have been working for the past two years and I remove chaeto every week because it overgrow my refugium. My pods population started a few weeks after I added the miracle mud to the refugium. I have been using miracle mud since my first reef tank back in the 90's when it got popular. It produces population of pods and other life that is beneficial to the biodiversity of the tank. In my opinion it does help with the production of pods. I have used phyto to feed the tank and pods but only a few times.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I understand, the LED element is around 1". But remember that the fixture itself get hot as is a passive cooling light. So take this in consideration if the light is going to be in contact with the surface of the refugium.
Thanks very much
I'll keep that in mind if I decide to get one

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Light will work great, mine have been working for the past two years and I remove chaeto every week because it overgrow my refugium. My pods population started a few weeks after I added the miracle mud to the refugium. I have been using miracle mud since my first reef tank back in the 90's when it got popular. It produces population of pods and other life that is beneficial to the biodiversity of the tank. In my opinion it does help with the production of pods. I have used phyto to feed the tank and pods but only a few times.

You would say the Miracle Mud would be the key to your success?

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would say the Miracle Mud would be the key to your success?

Not really, there are not a single component in a reef tank that make your tank successful. Is always a combination of good light, water parameters, good flow, good maintenance practices and patience. Miracle mud is just one part of the equation, I like what it adds to my tank, but is not the critical aspect of the tank.

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, there are not a single component in a reef tank that make your tank successful. Is always a combination of good light, water parameters, good flow, good maintenance practices and patience. Miracle mud is just one part of the equation, I like what it adds to my tank, but is not the critical aspect of the tank.
I was meaning in the Pod production aspect. I hoping to get my 425 to look as good as yours after awhile!

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was meaning in the Pod production aspect. I hoping to get my 425 to look as good as yours after awhile!

Yes, for pods production I would say is the main source. Two / three weeks later you will start notice the population of amphipods, copepods and others around the refugium. At some point I removed the filter socks as every time I was cleaning them, a lot of pods were there. I never seen my mandarin fish eating any food I feed to the fish, he is always looking around and happy and have been in my tank probably 8+ months by now.

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for pods production I would say is the main source. Two / three weeks later you will start notice the population of amphipods, copepods and others around the refugium. At some point I removed the filter socks as every time I was cleaning them, a lot of pods were there. I never seen my mandarin fish eating any food I feed to the fish, he is always looking around and happy and have been in my tank probably 8+ months by now.
Where do you get the Mud, and how much do you use? I figured if you have the same tank as me it's going to be about the same amount.

OP
OP
Robinson

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get the Mud, and how much do you use? I figured if you have the same tank as me it's going to be about the same amount.

According to the website these are the recommended lbs x aquarium gallons:

1591294748986.png

For our tank should be around 30 lbs. to run the full benefits of the mud, but because Im using it more for the pods production benefits, I only have around 10 - 15 lbs. in my refugium. But I can tell you that Im thinking about getting the extra 15 lbs to see if I have any additional benefits.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back