Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL Here we go!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I'm well aware of the "issues" and will say as a business owner myself it's not if but when things hit the fan. It's how you respond and work through problems that matters. After researching for weeks and even after reading all the issues and grilling my dealer I chose the Red Sea. I looked hard at Cade but in the end for me there's just not much in the way of support other then an email. No dealer network etc.. Maybe next time.. I went the extra step and I'm having my dealer set up the tank for me and make sure sure it's 100% level. Something I would normally do but wanted that extra piece of mind. This will be my 1st sump as I have 3aios currently 2 of which my dealer took in trade for way more then I could sell on secondary.

Red Sea 625xxl
Neptune Cor20
Aquamaxx DC3 skimmer
Neptune Gro refugium light
Red Sea 4 head doser
2 gen5 radion xr15s pros carried over from other tanks. Will be getting a 3rd once I'm up and running down the road.Still researching some type of in line UV or drop in the sump type.
Heater carried over from other tanks. The doser was a stretch for me as I try to keep things as simple as possible. The tank will be up early next week with pics to follow. Hope I made the right choice..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 750XXL, so you won’t have any regrets. Three Radion XR15s should work out nicely (you may want a fourth if you plan to go heavy into SPS); I have two XR30s and a single XR15 on mine.

I have a 57-watt AquaUV and it’s been great so far (a UV is something I highly recommend).

OP
OP
F

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, My thinking was with all the issues they had and all the effort they put into correcting those issues and extending the warranty etc.. Now is a good time to go for a red sea. They've been around for decades and have too much of a footprint to not make things right. It helped that my lfs just in the last week finally got his red sea "authorized" status. He worked for the sale and gave me a heck of a deal on taking 2 of my tanks for resale and gave me a good amount of store credit on top of it. Not the deciding factor but not having to go to marketplace to sell my stuff for pennies on the dollar locally was a nice bonus. I trust him and believe me when I say my forehead veins were popping out and I was sweating before paying.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on paying extra for your LFS to install it. I did the same thing when I got my RS 350 to give me peace of mind. It was only afterwards did my LSF owner tell me that mine was the SECOND Red Sea Reefer he had put together!!:eek:

OP
OP
F

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea luckily my dealer has sold alot of them. He did say this was his first 625. Most people go for the 525 in the XXL. I've known him for awhile and he's a straight shooter. He assured me he's never had a failure on a red sea. There are a bunch of leveling feet on those stands and he felt like alot of the failures were due to not being properly leveled at the time of installation. I could easily see that happening considering the xxl stands have 22 leveling feet. That's what pushed me to have the dealer install it. It's my opinion that red sea when they started putting out the big tanks thought that every Joe bob and billy knew how to set them up properly which clearly they didn't. I'm not saying all of them that had issues were improperly installed but a bunch I'm sure were. Even on those they made it right even though it could have been due to installing it after a few beers on a Saturday. If something does happen I'm covered in a sense.He just now got the authorized status. He's also a Neptune Diamond dealer which I'm not really interested in going down that rabbit hole. That's how I ended up with the core20 and grow light. They can be used separate without having all the "stuff"..

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back