OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been under the house a few times, looking at duct work for the a/c and running extension cords, and it is all heart pine like you’re talking about. Luckily the crawl space is pretty big so I don’t have to worry about having to really “crawl”. That was actually a concern if I had to jack anything up since it would have to go up at least 3’ before it touched a joist. The wood was milled locally back when the house was built, so I know the source.

Never hurts to be sure though, lol. I obviously didn’t get around to it today, but maybe in the morning if the rain clears out. Thank you for all your input and checking in. If I get time later on I will be adding a list of inhabitants/equipment to the first post. Curious to see what everyone’s input is on that. :)

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the mess, lol.

Brick pier under the load bearing wall, located to the left of the tank. There is another pier on the right side of the tank (to the left of the one you see in the photo below). They’re located about two feet from the tank on either side.
0D392C07-B4C7-4A65-A715-D4D185CC9456.jpeg

Bearer under the load bearing wall.
A0FC912D-B5D6-448E-80BB-82542ABAD955.jpeg

Joists running into the bearer.
EDB0CD5D-A002-4F39-8400-13A804456D27.jpeg

Joists located below the right and middle of the tank going into the bearer.
8318D856-467B-4D76-A18D-BA89382FF37F.jpeg

And the joist under the left of the tank and the middle again.
CEC1BF2E-47F2-413E-9708-CC9DD9BF4732.jpeg

View of the bearer running over the pier- you can see how the joists are tied in here.
E17CBAD2-F80F-4E82-93A9-7020A0DB9A9A.jpeg

Joist measurements.
7A51E7CC-4E4E-4EC6-970A-C7E61A432DAD.jpeg
ADE43E8C-2D72-4320-892F-E25302108591.jpeg

And some close up action of the wood grain. This stuff is beautiful when you refinish it.
2913E2DC-BE65-423B-9A11-F4DDC0681270.jpeg

Thoughts?

gesock

ReefGuyWannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if my floor is going to handle the 1700 lbs of my new 120 tank. I keep thinking it's fine but the joists underneath are brand new but still don't look super strong.

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beutiful. Those beams look 100 years young!
They are actually closer to 140 years old- house was built in the early 1880’s. The original owner manufactured turpentine, so he probably hand picked his wood. I love the stuff. Hard as rock.

I'm wondering if my floor is going to handle the 1700 lbs of my new 120 tank. I keep thinking it's fine but the joists underneath are brand new but still don't look super strong.
If it’s new construction, probably. They increased psf requirements a few years back, in the states, but I’m not sure about your local codes. If you contact the code office they can provide you with the ones in use in your area. The main thing is placement of the joists below the tank. The more the better, which is why my tank isn’t centered on the wall, actually. It would have only had two joists below it if I had centered the tank. Some of your load will be displaced to the adjoining joists as well. It’s a long read, but this article explains it well.

Understanding Loads and Using Spread Tables

Edit: Or...
6C6B6452-DC2D-4402-9BC8-81DE165958B6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can actually buy jack posts for allot less from HD or lowes. Those are rated for 16,000lbs or something like that.

Or Harbor Freight here. Not sure what @gesock wouId need depending on joist size and what type of crawl space there is. I was just using it as a reference. The one that’s been viewed is just the style I was looking at because my floor is so far off the ground.

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caddies and visors from Treasure Corals came today! There was even an adorable little handmade card that my daughter loved. Excited to finally have some of my test kits where they’re more easily accessible!
(Smudgy tank shots complementary.)
8179D9AC-B92D-43E7-AA74-19EFD9AB6D6F.jpeg 4168A9DB-8D37-4A2F-822D-B7D1E04C21D2.jpeg

And the lights before and after the visors;
BB7D8224-6B69-4207-AEA1-C3FACE64A050.jpeg 135397B3-677B-4FE0-ABD6-BFEB5E874B30.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also updated the first post to show inhabitants and equipment. I’m still working on listing everything.

And!!! I got my Utter Chaos Paly finally! I’ve been dying for our LFS owner to frag his colony out since I saw it the first time and Joe surprised me and picked it up when he went by to grab my two part!
;Shamefullyembarrased
It’s in the tank now. He got a gorgeous Niger Trigger while he was there, as well, so updates to come on that in the next couple of days.

6053FB16-F353-4653-997B-0659FBE75025.jpeg

Fangirling so hard for this one polyp. :0

gesock

ReefGuyWannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or Harbor Freight here. Not sure what @gesock wouId need depending on joist size and what type of crawl space there is. I was just using it as a reference. The one that’s been viewed is just the style I was looking at because my floor is so far off the ground.
Yeah it's there is a full size basement underneath and it's not the best place to have a random jack in the middle of it lol. Trust me over thought about doing it anyway. Tank comes first lol
Caddies and visors from Treasure Corals came today! There was even an adorable little handmade card that my daughter loved. Excited to finally have some of my test kits where they’re more easily accessible!
(Smudgy tank shots complementary.)
8179D9AC-B92D-43E7-AA74-19EFD9AB6D6F.jpeg 4168A9DB-8D37-4A2F-822D-B7D1E04C21D2.jpeg

And the lights before and after the visors;
BB7D8224-6B69-4207-AEA1-C3FACE64A050.jpeg 135397B3-677B-4FE0-ABD6-BFEB5E874B30.jpeg
That's beautiful!

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's there is a full size basement underneath and it's not the best place to have a random jack in the middle of it lol. Trust me over thought about doing it anyway. Tank comes first lol

That's beautiful!
Thank you- I’m ecstatic with the visors. It’s so much nicer at night from the sofa.

Don’t think you’re the only one here, lollll. I’m paranoid and prefer to take preemptive action, so I contemplated it for a whiiiile. Feel like if the floor goes then the whole house is probably falling into a sink hole, so the jack isn’t going to help much. :p You could always add columns for support if you’re concerned, though. Most large basements have central supports, so yours may? This article is a little less involved and more specific to your situation/aquariums in general. May give you a little peace of mind, too.

Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights

gesock

ReefGuyWannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- I’m ecstatic with the visors. It’s so much nicer at night from the sofa.

Don’t think you’re the only one here, lollll. I’m paranoid and prefer to take preemptive action, so I contemplated it for a whiiiile. Feel like if the floor goes then the whole house is probably falling into a sink hole, so the jack isn’t going to help much. :p You could always add columns for support if you’re concerned, though. Most large basements have central supports, so yours may? This article is a little less involved and more specific to your situation/aquariums in general. May give you a little peace of mind, too.

Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights
Great read! I am now thinking it will be okay if I just run it down a different wall, even though it's not where I want it to be. Thanks for all the info. It's appreciated!

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's beautiful!
Unfortunately they’re not attractive but come in sizes from 18” to 24’. And are actually meant to be permanent structural members. Maybe not ideal for a basement but a good easy to use, inexpensive permanent option for a crawl space.

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy week, but tomorrow is Friday, which means I’ll have time to update here, and hopefully get things caught up a bit. (Still need to post some shots of the stuff I did in the sump since I set the tank up.) I promised an update on the Niger Trigger I added the same day as my Utter Chaos, though, so figured I’d let y’all say hello!

The Niger went through acclimation easily, and was literally trying to jump out of the container by the time I got ready to move it over. (Glad I have a lid!) Transitioned into the tank smoothly apart from some fin damage from my blue tang which you can see here. The bristle tooth and tang gave it a bit of a run around the tank until the Trigger found a cave suitable to its size, and did what a trigger does. By the time I fed again, the aggression had passed.

Joe wants to call it “Stan” because of its huge chin. Jury is still out. Idk if I can call it “Stan” and take it seriously. ;Bored

E7A98917-44FB-4D87-93BC-FB09D1562936.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy week, but tomorrow is Friday, which means I’ll have time to update here, and hopefully get things caught up a bit. (Still need to post some shots of the stuff I did in the sump since I set the tank up.) I promised an update on the Niger Trigger I added the same day as my Utter Chaos, though, so figured I’d let y’all say hello!

The Niger went through acclimation easily, and was literally trying to jump out of the container by the time I got ready to move it over. (Glad I have a lid!) Transitioned into the tank smoothly apart from some fin damage from my blue tang which you can see here. The bristle tooth and tang gave it a bit of a run around the tank until the Trigger found a cave suitable to its size, and did what a trigger does. By the time I fed again, the aggression had passed.

Joe wants to call it “Stan” because of its huge chin. Jury is still out. Idk if I can call it “Stan” and take it seriously. ;Bored

E7A98917-44FB-4D87-93BC-FB09D1562936.jpeg
Looks great

OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to take a video of the tank tonight. Made all the coral angry earlier clearing some detritus off the rocks, and everybody is starting to go to sleep, but here it is in action. :rolleyes: Really looking forward to everything filling in.

Edit: Fixed it! Should run in HD now. May take a moment or two to process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks- I really appreciate you checking it out, Sauce. “Sauce”. Is that the right way to address you? I can’t get accustomed to using forum monikers for names in my head. I’m still tinkering with a new video editing app and I need to figure out how to get it to upload better quality video. The one I used for our YouTube channel wasn’t so....technical.

funny or die fusion GIF by gethardshow

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks- I really appreciate you checking it out, Sauce. “Sauce”. Is that the right way to address you? I can’t get accustomed to using forum monikers for names in my head. I’m still tinkering with a new video editing app and I need to figure out how to get it to upload better quality video. The one I used for our YouTube channel wasn’t so....technical.

funny or die fusion GIF by gethardshow
Sauce Works. I also answer to hey you! Just tag me and I'll never leave again.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back