OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like they tell you to crank it up until the measurement at the brace matches the measurement on the outside panel.

Did you see the 900XL? They added a "divided sump" so they could add that necessary reinforcement panel. And then two of those new reinforcements.

So they have a vertical brace every 20 inches. Though their material thickness for the stand appears to be the same as all the smaller tanks.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the 900XL? They added a "divided sump" so they could add that necessary reinforcement panel. And then two of those new reinforcements.

Same material though, including material thickness, I believe.

I did, just got the email, 78" is surely a weird tank length lol!!! I think these sumps are just getting too big. And these braces would drive me absolutely up the wall which is why my new tank has the sump going in the basement.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, just got the email, 78" is surely a weird tank length lol!!! I think these sumps are just getting too big. And these braces would drive me absolutely up the wall which is why my new tank has the sump going in the basement.

Agreed re weird dimensions.

In addition, if you don't want to use the extended sump and want to use the other side as an ATO reservoir (per their suggestion), congratulations, you have 4 more bulkheads that can potentially leak.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - do they happen to give any instructions (written) - like how far to move the 'brace' up, down, etc. I absolutely don't really care for the types of instructions - especially in a case like this lol:)

Nothing written. I'm thinking it's like what @JoshH posted that you just match the heights.

Almost looks like they tell you to crank it up until the measurement at the brace matches the measurement on the outside panel.

Screenshot_20191024-154109_Samsung capture.jpg

My question based on the instructions is - is that picture a drill like they want me to drill some pilot holes? If so what size? Or is that a screw cordless screwdriver and I just directly screw in the screws.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW I know they said the paper test doesn't matter but I've done steps 1 - 3 and only slightly tightened the nut so that its snug and I failed the paper test before and I no longer do after just those steps. Also FWIW the brace is very un-obtrusive at this point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing written. I'm thinking it's like what @JoshH posted that you just match the heights.

My question based on the instructions is - is that picture a drill like they want me to drill some pilot holes? If so what size? Or is that a screw cordless screwdriver and I just directly screw in the screws.

I also wondered how close the measurement of h1 and h2 need to be (after all - there is a margin of error in every measurement) - I would assume it would need to be VERY accurate.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would be something Red Sea would have to answer, if the kit didn't come with a drill bit I would hazard to guess they mean screw directly into the cabinet. Personally however I would atleast pre drill the hole slightly, even an 1/8" to prevent the cabinet coating underneath from mushrooming out a little as you drive the screws in. But that's just me, I'd talk to Red Sea on that one.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have to wait to watch a YouTube video of it. Those instructions dont mean much to me, haha
They are easy.
Remove old door stops.
install new bracket where door stops where
install jack screw
install jackscrew side brackets
adjust jackscrew to the same height as the left outside wall.
install side panels (self tapping screws)
install new door stops

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little shocked they didn't double up the horizontal piece the aluminum leg attaches to. They doubled up each end piece so why not the one where the leg actually attaches to..

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have to wait to watch a YouTube video of it. Those instructions dont mean much to me, haha

you would think.... well I think any way Red sea would come out with a video that takes it step by step. does not look to hard but come on RS thing they would want ppl to do it right!? maybe they will. or just being lazy and letting us do the work.

but on the other hand if they still get failures with the fix they can clame user install error.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though their material thickness for the stand appears to be the same as all the smaller tanks.

If you look closely at the picture of the 900 the side supports look as though another piece of wood is 'sistered' up beside the side pieces on either side. Also, the center support looks twice as thick as the current design's partition wall. Hard to tell from photos obviously, but that's what I noticed when scanning for changes. When its actually released next year, we'll all know for certain.

Also for what it's worth, when I first assembled my stand I questioned it's integrity with all that weight as well. I emailed Red Sea to ask how much weight it's engineered to withstand but they weren't able to provide that information. That being said, I drilled through the center partition wall on my setup and it was super-duper, extra-hard plywood. It might even be laminated or glued between each ply. When we drilled through it, the hole saw was smoking and it was quite a bit of effort. We had to drill through from either side to get all the way through. It didn't appear to be your typical plywood from the local hardware store, and was definitely a more robust wood than you'd expect.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back