RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my kit in about 15 minutes. Yes the two pieces go on each outside wall. Unfortunately the fine print says your warranty is extended only if you registered your tank when you first bought it. I didn't and my tank is two years old so no extended warranty for me. Anyway the brace is their for support and it's better than nothing.
Send an email over to RedSea, I believe they extend your warranty even if you have not registered within the timeframe. Worst they can do is say “no”. I have found them to be great to deal with. I believe the failure rate is extremely low, but none of us want to deal with that kind of failure!

U

User1

View Badges
it seems like the cheapest possible thing they could send out to everyone and still claim they are doing something.

You are probably right. I do hope it resolves the problems but I have a feeling that it may not and we will see a class action lawsuit here in a bit. I'm wondering how people are sleeping at night or if any better post install.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send an email over to RedSea, I believe they extend your warranty even if you have not registered within the timeframe. Worst they can do is say “no”. I have found them to be great to deal with. I believe the failure rate is extremely low, but none of us want to deal with that kind of failure!

I just double checked my email and it looks like for existing owners as long as you register before 11/30/19 then you get the extra year of coverage.

Screenshot_20191112-191908_Gmail.jpg Screenshot_20191112-192021_Gmail.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right. I do hope it resolves the problems but I have a feeling that it may not and we will see a class action lawsuit here in a bit. I'm wondering how people are sleeping at night or if any better post install.

as a business owner, whenever there is a customer service issue we ask ourselves “if we were on the other side of this experience, what would it take to make us happy”. It’s a large part of why we are 5 stars on Google, Yelp, and Facebook...this is ridiculous to hear about.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my retrofit kit tonight. Do you think they could have put together a worse set of instructions? How about adding a little text to explain the confusing pictures. Not impressed.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my retrofit kit tonight. Do you think they could have put together a worse set of instructions? How about adding a little text to explain the confusing pictures. Not impressed.
Just like Ikea instructions.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread. Noticed the below in the upper right back corner. It definitly hasn't always been there. Is it normal wear and tear on a 3 year old tank. Is it the start of the seams failing?

20200102_200027.jpg 20200102_195140.jpg 20200102_155028.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread. Noticed the below in the upper right back corner. It definitly hasn't always been there. Is it normal wear and tear on a 3 year old tank. Is it the start of the seams failing?

In my personal opinion, for what they charge for a tank, it should last a minimum of 10 years and that would still be disappointing. Especially when there are cheaper tanks out there like Marine land that have lasted far longer.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you referring to the white stuff? It’s hard to be sure what it is, but I don’t think it’s a seem failure item. The seams that I have seen start to bubble in the black portion.
What tank are we looking at? That doesn’t look like a 750.

I’m looking at that and thinking it’s something stuck in there.. worm or something... if we are talking about the white spec.

BTW, nice Coraline and there is an acro there that looks healthy too.

Last edited:

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding into this:
Just purchased a 750 XXL from a kind gentleman near me. It had the dreaded bottom seam failure from the stand deflection. Got the tank and sump and all for a steal. There is no way I can file a warranty claim on it as the original owner just wants to be hands off, as his dream tank had failed on him - and I completely understand. Hoping to somehow get one of the retrofit kits from RS and fix the seam myself. We'll see how it goes - maybe it will turn into a build thread on here one day.

Such a shame to see these expensive tanks failing like this on such a major design failure that could have been seen so blatantly in the design process.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry what I meant was - is there a reference that the 'marine ply' that they are touting - is not better than 'ply'
Baltic birch is the ultimate structural ply and costly, Furniture grade is good and for 3/4" I believe it has 7 plies and probably what is being used

Marine-grade plywood, often simply called marine plywood, is not what it's often claimed to be. ... However, it is a good-quality, hardwood plywood made with waterproof glue. Better grades also tend to be lightweight, strong, and virtually free of defects.Aug 13, 2019
What Is Marine-Grade Plywood? - The Spruce

www.thespruce.com › what-is-marine-grade-plywood-2736672

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the white stuff? It’s hard to be sure what it is, but I don’t think it’s a seem failure item. The seams that I have seen start to bubble in the black portion.
What tank are we looking at? That doesn’t look like a 750.

I’m looking at that and thinking it’s something stuck in there.. worm or something... if we are talking about the white spec.

BTW, nice Coraline and there is an acro there that looks healthy too.

Yes. That white stuff. Just randomly appeared. It's a 750.

20191207_152835.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful tank! Love how full it is on the edges.

IMO, that doesnt look like a seem failure to me, just some buildup right on the seem edge. Can you take more pictures with the blue lights off? Makes it a little difficult to see properly.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure so forgive me but is that some Plastic corner molding strip and perhaps something got under it? I want to say RS installed these corner protectors.. but not positive.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure so forgive me but is that some Plastic corner molding strip and perhaps something got under it? I want to say RS installed these corner protectors.. but not positive.

Where were you looking?

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful tank! Love how full it is on the edges.

IMO, that doesnt look like a seem failure to me, just some buildup right on the seem edge. Can you take more pictures with the blue lights off? Makes it a little difficult to see properly.

It does look like a build up of something. Its between the glass panel.and the seam so not exactly sure how it got there. I definitely dont see any bubbling and it's only confined to the top right corner.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Huskymaniac I labeled your photo below, does it look correct? Sometime angles get skewed in photos so just making sure I am seeing it correct.

To me, it looks like a small air bubble that is catching the light and reflecting it (so it looks white).
5E2C0E5C-3B94-4BB8-B9BC-E4258DB262B6.jpeg

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Huskymaniac I labeled your photo below, does it look correct? Sometime angles get skewed in photos so just making sure I am seeing it correct.

To me, it looks like a small air bubble that is catching the light and reflecting it (so it looks white).
5E2C0E5C-3B94-4BB8-B9BC-E4258DB262B6.jpeg

That's correct. It's actually even white with the lights off.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard from Redsea and they said it was just a small bubble and nothing to worry about. They said it was likely there from when the tank was manufactured.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted RS the other day and they are offering the retrofit support kits free of charge to anyone with a 750 XXL - original owner or not. Hopefully mine ships out soon so I can get to get to work on resealing my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back