RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be cautious with taking matters into your own hands in regards to making your own vertical braces.

If the support is too long, you could create a new stress point. Even if the support is perfect length, wedging it in place will temporarily bow the plywood the opposite direction.

Make no mistake, propping up a sag point that is bearing a load is already a concern. It's quite possible that relieving the stress from a pressure point may prove to be counter productive, I personally can't wait to learn how they propose to fix the problem.

I'm sure their engineers are fully aware of the risks involved. I would be surprised if they don't suggest removing at least a portion of the water before attempting to add the retrofit. Ideally it would be a no brainer to remove all the water but RS is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
What about doing it beforehand if you have a tank that you haven't added water to yet?

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been discussed a couple times - Homeowners insurance (not flood insurance) will cover damage from the water - not the livestock/rock/etc - if there is a sudden failure... BUT - this is also company dependent - some insurance companies do not cover aquarium damage at all - or unless you have a 'rider'
I was told by State Farm, Farmers, and Progressive that damage done to the home as a result of a failed tank IS NOT covered. This is in California. I called several times and asked to speak to supervisors, etc. All the answers were the same. Said you'd be hard pressed to find someone who does cover it. Maybe this varies from state to state as I know some people have had damage and their insurance companies take care of them. Lot of conflicting information on the internet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told by State Farm, Farmers, and Progressive that damage done to the home as a result of a failed tank IS NOT covered. This is in California. I called several times and asked to speak to supervisors, etc. All the answers were the same. Said you'd be hard pressed to find someone who does cover it. Maybe this varies from state to state as I know some people have had damage and their insurance companies take care of them. Lot of conflicting information on the internet.
Yes I know. Travelers covers it in mn. Only the property damage

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have a 625 that I was about to fill over the next couple of weeks. Now I am nervous to continue. I wonder if it would be worth just building my own stand and not have to worry about the reefer stand failing over time.

What would you guys do?

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have a 625 that I was about to fill over the next couple of weeks. Now I am nervous to continue. I wonder if it would be worth just building my own stand and not have to worry about the reefer stand failing over time.

What would you guys do?
I would set it up and enjoy it.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would you guys do?

The 625 has no reported issues, to my knowledge.

In the future I personally will be building my own stands and ordering custom tanks. These ready-to-go setups are nice, but after doing some research, I don’t think I would do it again. The materials used are really the bare minimum to support them.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the future I personally will be building my own stands and ordering custom tanks. These ready-to-go setups are nice, but after doing some research, I don’t think I would do it again. The materials used are really the bare minimum to support them.

Yea, that's kind of what I'm thinking as well. I could sell the 625 and just go that route the first time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, that's kind of what I'm thinking as well. I could sell the 625 and just go that route the first time.
Why would you do that? Why are you nervous - this 'defect' affects a very small percentage of the 750's - and doesnt affect the other models at all. If you do go this way - make sure that building your own stand doesn't void the warranty.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you do that? Why are you nervous - this 'defect' affects a very small percentage of the 750's - and doesnt affect the other models at all. If you do go this way - make sure that building your own stand doesn't void the warranty.

I guess I'm just being paranoid.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. You do not know the exact numbers of what and how many are effected.
B. The number of 625s sold compared to 750s is much smaller. So there is no real sampling of 625 failings. None have been publicly reported that I can find.

Without any published numbers from RedSea everything is 100% speculation and assumption.
As a fellow 625 owner that has had their tank filled now for 4 months I will be always watching that seem. In time I might change things out. I won’t be trusting RedSea.. that much is one thing I can say with absolute conviction.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I don’t care about the warranty if the cheesy stand is going to cause a failure later. Build your own stand and be happy.. sell the entire set up and get something you can trust.. It’s up to the person.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A. You do not know the exact numbers of what and how many are effected.
B. The number of 625s sold compared to 750s is much smaller. So there is no real sampling of 625 failings. None have been publicly reported that I can find.

Without any published numbers from RedSea everything is 100% speculation and assumption.
As a fellow 625 owner that has had their tank filled now for 4 months I will be always watching that seem. In time I might change things out. I won’t be trusting RedSea.. that much is one thing I can say with absolute conviction.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I don’t care about the warranty if the cheesy stand is going to cause a failure later. Build your own stand and be happy.. sell the entire set up and get something you can trust.. It’s up to the person.

If you call Red Sea they will give you the exact numbers. (and the number is extremely small) - Now if you want to question that they are 'lying' - that (to me) would be paranoia.

I have had a RedSea 525 for quite a while - and An LFS has had one up and running for years - without any problem (since they first came out.

Though I agree with you that this is a disconcerting 'thing' - and I dont like the idea of an alminum pole blocking off access to my sump. I do not think the stands are 'cheesy' - and though I've built a stand or 2 in my day - I would probably mess up building a custom one - wouldn't be worth the hassle (to me) - BTW - I wasn't asking for a general commentary -I was specifically asking the person who was thinking of selling his tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I'm just being paranoid.
You're probably being realistic - given the situation - But - I might consider calling RedSea and just talking to their customer service/technical people to get a better idea of what is going on.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you call Red Sea they will give you the exact numbers. (and the number is extremely small) - Now if you want to question that they are 'lying' - that (to me) would be paranoia.

You think a company will tell you failure rates if you "call them" ?

That is certainly an.... interesting idea.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seeing as how they denied there were any issues to start with, I'm sure they are committed to be 100% forthcoming now :)

If you can convince yourself it's worth the cost, it is very rewarding to get exactly what you want.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That is certainly an.... interesting idea.

Yes. Unless they are planning multiple legal issues. And - they did tell my LFS the failure rate - in writing- and they passed it on to me. PS - Im not a fanboy for Redsea - To me this 'boondoggle' makes Mindstream look like something minuscule. I will never trust the stand/aquarium I have - and am considering having my LFS move it all down the lower level of the house so that if there are any problems-they can be easily dealt with (I.E. a nearby drain). The main problem I see is 'who knows whether the fix will work'? Who knows whether the fix will 'make it worse'. It would seem to me - that using a 'jack up system' could very easily put more pressure on one area in the tank - causing a failure somewhere else.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back