RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely at the picture of the 900 the side supports look as though another piece of wood is 'sistered' up beside the side pieces on either side. Also, the center support looks twice as thick as the current design's partition wall. Hard to tell from photos obviously, but that's what I noticed when scanning for changes. When its actually released next year, we'll all know for certain.

Also for what it's worth, when I first assembled my stand I questioned it's integrity with all that weight as well. I emailed Red Sea to ask how much weight it's engineered to withstand but they weren't able to provide that information. That being said, I drilled through the center partition wall on my setup and it was super-duper, extra-hard plywood. It might even be laminated or glued between each ply. When we drilled through it, the hole saw was smoking and it was quite a bit of effort. We had to drill through from either side to get all the way through. It didn't appear to be your typical plywood from the local hardware store, and was definitely a more robust wood than you'd expect.
It’s marine grade plywood..

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my retrofit kit yesterday. I’m not thrilled with it. The center brace install was simple enough. I had no idea about the two blocks of wood in the kit. The left side (end) was easy enough as not much was in the way. The right side (center) I haven’t installed yet. I custom plumbed my tank, added a Clarisea SK5000 filter, a gate valve, chiller plumbing, all kinds of wires/cables, all of which is in the way. It’s going to take me quite some time, and a little money, to redo everything, just so that I can install a wood block. On top of that, the center brace is bugging me. Need to change out media, clean the skimmer cup, change a filter roll, remove the return pump for maintenance and the brace is just in the way. I can work around it, but it’s not as easy as it was before. The right fix and the easy fix are two different animals. Swapping stands on an operating system is a major endeavor, and not something I want to do. The brace is a sacrifice that I’m willing to make. One year of extra warranty on the glass for the hassle, I don’t think is sufficient. I would suggest a lifetime warranty, a hefty rebate (RedSea Bucks for supplies), trade in program, something better. I’m going to cuss up a storm every time I hit that brace while doing maintenance!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too received my brace but if I understand the instructions correctly the right brace does not go against the right side of the sump cabinet instead it goes on the right side of the equipment cabinet. I double checked because I was going to have to remount equipment either way but I don’t think it should interfere with your clarisea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too received my brace but if I understand the instructions correctly the right brace does not go against the right side of the sump cabinet instead it goes on the right side of the equipment cabinet. I double checked because I was going to have to remount equipment either way but I don’t think it should interfere with your clarisea
Curious - where would you think it would go - and this not a sarcastic question - I have 200 gallons sitting over wood floors and multiple thousands of art below that..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also curious - is something you added instead of the redsea sump -if so - why should they care. Note - I think this 'fix' will messes up my 'in the box' rear 750. so - I dont disagree with you

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It confused me but after looking at the pictures I believe it goes in the far right wall. There is no picture of the cord cut out and the picture appears to be on the far end. I have already moved stuff I had Metal Halide ballasts attached to the far right equipment wall. I don't really care about moving stuff but I would have been angry with myself if I found I put the brace in the wrong place.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s marine grade plywood..
Correct - it says that all over their website, etc.
I see this thrown around all the time. In the OLD days marine ply was a thing = water resistant glue . today ALL ply has glue far superior than marine ply days. its all about the number of ply's. the more the better and = more glue

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll double check, but I thought it was on the sump side to help with the span. My equipment side wall is covered head to toe with Apex stuff, the other equipment wall has another energy bar, ballasts, all the power supplies, a chiller in the middle, a couple breakout boxes along the back wall. I really have every inch of cabinet covered with something. The backside of the doors are empty though! No matter what, I’ll have to move a bunch of stuff.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It confused me but after looking at the pictures I believe it goes in the far right wall. There is no picture of the cord cut out and the picture appears to be on the far end. I have already moved stuff I had Metal Halide ballasts attached to the far right equipment wall. I don't really care about moving stuff but I would have been angry with myself if I found I put the brace in the wrong place.
You are correct. That makes it a bit easier. I’ll have to move a bit of stuff around, but cords and boxes are easy. Still think we should get something more than a one year warranty extension. I could always use test kit refills, elements and salt!

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my kit in about 15 minutes. Yes the two pieces go on each outside wall. Unfortunately the fine print says your warranty is extended only if you registered your tank when you first bought it. I didn't and my tank is two years old so no extended warranty for me. Anyway the brace is their for support and it's better than nothing.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this thrown around all the time. In the OLD days marine ply was a thing = water resistant glue . today ALL ply has glue far superior than marine ply days. its all about the number of ply's. the more the better and = more glue

But it’s Reef Spec! :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reference?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - I have defended RedSea. I am moving my tank from a position in my living room to my basement. I do not believe in this 'fix' - it does not seem to solve the problem. It will cost thousands - and I will be discussing it with Redsea. I apologize to those on the thread that might have relied on my 'positivity' about this issue (but at the time - it did seem like a pile on). I relied on what I heard from Redsea in Email. unfortunately - I do not believe (in my situation) that the fix will 'fix' the problem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are correct. That makes it a bit easier. I’ll have to move a bit of stuff around, but cords and boxes are easy. Still think we should get something more than a one year warranty extension. I could always use test kit refills, elements and salt!

The 'far right wall' would be the cabinet that contains no sump. If you mean the far right wall of the sump - this makes sense. As to the rest I agree.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I have defended RedSea. I am moving my tank from a position in my living room to my basement. I do not believe in this 'fix' - it does not seem to solve the problem. It will cost thousands - and I will be discussing it with Redsea. I apologize to those on the thread that might have relied on my 'positivity' about this issue (but at the time - it did seem like a pile on). I relied on what I heard from Redsea in Email. unfortunately - I do not believe (in my situation) that the fix will 'fix' the problem

it seems like the cheapest possible thing they could send out to everyone and still claim they are doing something.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is exactly why I didn't buy a red sea tank, I wasn't going to pay for a crappy stand and WaterBox is the same way you have to buy their stand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back