Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 525 XL Build

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger this past Monday and ordered a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 525 XL along with the Red Sea Reefer RSK 600 skimmer. The time frame I was given for it shipping out was two to four weeks. That's not an issue as there is a lot of prep work to do anyway. I mentioned in my introductory post a few days ago I planned to order a 425 XL but decided to up the size to the 525. 108 gallon display and 31 gallon sump for a total volume of 139 gallons.

I'm planning on adding an Apex controller with two Neptune Systems WAV powerheads - though I'm wondering if two is enough. I'm also planning a COR 20 return pump and thought maybe a second COR 20 pump to run a manifold with the ability to valve the manifold into the return line should the return pump fail -- based on published dimensions it appears two COR 20s will fit into the sump return pump chamber.

Anyway, I'll update as things move along.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy mother-of-pearl-handled unloaded pistols Batman! I wasn’t expecting it to ship for a month. My timeline just got blown out of the water.

61A6262E-C347-4656-AD31-8BC9D86E4C75.jpeg

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYSA we have two of the Neptune powerheads connected to our APEX in the same tank and don't run either of them above 60% because the flow is nuts.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several items set to arrive this week:
  • 100 lbs of Marco Dry Live rock
  • 1 large Marco foundation rock
  • 4 medium Marco foundation rocks
  • Marco mortar
  • Super glue and accelerator
  • 5 stage RO/DI, float valve, tube, and connectors
And the tank/stand is due to arrive Friday.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're curious about what the shipping weight for a 525 XL is, it's listed at 712 lbs. When I was twenty I'd just toss it up on a shoulder and tote it to wherever but being over sixty now I'll need to be sure to lift with my legs.
I know what you mean, the mind may be willing but the body just does its own thing. When I decided to get a Red Sea Max 250 last October/November I was not aware just how heavy the equipment was. When I read that it was an off load on a pallet at the curb I nearly did not go ahead (being in a power Wheelchair main reason.... the body long ago gave up but I still had this idea of a fish tank next to my desk) so I contacted Red Sea and found there was a stockiest only 4 miles away via the country lanes of Kent (UK). I contacted them explained what I wanted and about 3 weeks later the tank, cabinet and all the parts on my wish list arrived via the stockiest. Including a skimmer (Red Sea - more another time on this bit of kit) plus a chiller and a purpose built manifold including a 4 way dowser. The sand was put into the tank in the lounge next to my desk. The rock was installed and a hose was run from the truck carrying the salt water. I then used the Red Sea kit to mature the tank for 21 days (watching water sand and rock). In the last 8 /9 months I have spent a small fortune on the tank. (far more than the budget, in fact over double and the bills still keep coming)

Purchased fish, to have them die, to getting white spot which took the whole tank all except a Clown that my wife hates (it bites her if she is working in the tank for me). Any regrets yes a few. Wish I had purchased a bigger tank but size available means I have about the best size for my home and abilities. Real glad I did not go for a curb side drop off but took the trouble to find a local fish shop that helps when ever I feel the need to shout for help. They deliver the RO and Salt water every few weeks as I keep on hand 80 laters of RO and 40 laters of Salt - I did install a water unit outside to convert the water if I need to. But as the shop delivers that works for me. Today I am sitting beside a fully working tank waiting for the next issue. There is always an issue, currently Aptasia. Tried File fish (on loan from the fish shop) lost 7 peppermint shrimps... Candy Cane Hog seems to have a midnight meal from them. Tried Red Sea Aptasia X (does not work for me) Lemon juice is as good and also a cheaper product made to deal with Aptasia the same way as Red Sea but ¼ of the price. I have even tried Nudibranch, but I am sure someone has had a meal of them. The best thing I have found in my journey to date is Vibrant, not cheap in the UK but it got rid of the blue/green algae balls - took a few months using double dose each week then one day they were gone. I have learned to dip everything now, too many hitchhikers still getting in with Corals.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, the mind may be willing but the body just does its own thing. When I decided to get a Red Sea Max 250 last October/November I was not aware just how heavy the equipment was. When I read that it was an off load on a pallet at the curb I nearly did not go ahead

@BobFageUK , I plan to have help and a rented pallet jack for moving it. I have a workshop behind my house that is going to house the mix station, quarantine tanks, and eventually a frag tank. I'm going to get the pallet into my shop then bring the stand into the house piece by piece. When time for moving the tank in, I'll beg for help again.

In the last 8 /9 months I have spent a small fortune on the tank. (far more than the budget, in fact over double and the bills still keep coming)

Yes, as I put together a spreadsheet of estimated cost I was surprised at how quickly things escalated to three times the cost of the deluxe 525 XL package. And that's with no livestock figured in yet. Reef rock, mixing station, testing equipment, quarantine tanks, . . . the list goes on and on.

Wish I had purchased a bigger tank but size available means I have about the best size for my home and abilities.

I went back and forth on the size several times, looking at everything from the Reefer 250 to the XXL 750, finally settling on the Deluxe XL 525 as the best fit. Stretches my budget but decided to make it work to get the 5' display tank width as I had a nice spot for it.

There is always an issue

I hope I miss as many issues as possible but what drew me to the hobby - other than the beauty of the corals - was the challenge. Here's hoping it isn't too challenging! Best of luck in your reef endeavors.

rpetorella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're curious about what the shipping weight for a 525 XL is, it's listed at 712 lbs. When I was twenty I'd just toss it up on a shoulder and tote it to wherever but being over sixty now I'll need to be sure to lift with my legs.
I kept my glass on 2 carpeted moving dollys till I was ready to move it to the stands final location...was able to lift the glass with my neighbor.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my glass on 2 carpeted moving dollys till I was ready to move it to the stands final location...was able to lift the glass with my neighbor.
I have two carpeted dollies but I have the tank in my shop and it’s about 100 feet behind my house. My plan right now is to load it in the back of my pick-up and back it up to my patio which has double doors into my house. I bought two pair of the suction cup glass moving handles. It’s final location is just inside the double doors. Fingers crossed.

Greengny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, my son in law, 6' 190lbs, and me, 6' 190lbs (but 65) carried the same tank about 30 yards and didnt drop it. :cool:

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I’ve settled on an aquascape. The discussion thread on it is here, a photo is below. There were some good suggestions but in the end I left it as it was. I decided not to add rock because I do want to leave some negative space. I am gluing everything because I don’t want to risk a rock falling and cracking the glass. And I decided to leave the left side as is and not reduce the size of the rocks and connect it to the center; I decided I like it as is.

889E8DDB-7C7D-47C0-9EDB-17BE876BE3E6.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back