Red Sea Reefer Downflow Pipe - Can't find sweet spot

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Reefer 525xl for about 1.5months now. I upgraded from a smaller tank, and I love the Reefer so far. But I'm having trouble adjusting the flow in the downflow pipe for the sump. According to a video from Red Sea, the water level in the overflow should be around 1-2cm below the top of the middle pipe, but I'm having trouble keeping it there. I adjust the dial on the downflow pipe and then let it sit for over an hour. Once I get the water level dialed-in, it often lowers itself slowly over time (over a couple of days) to a point where the level is so low, there's air coming down the downflow pipe. So I adjust the downflow dial up one "click" and then give it time. Even after just one click, it raises the water level too high and the water goes into the overflow tube. One click back down, and the water level is too low again (I get air coming down the downpipe). I can't seem to find a sweet spot. I'm running a Current eFlux variable speed pump at roughly 1100-1300gph. I've tried to see what effect the pump speed has on water level in the overflow, and the pump speed is very touchy. A tiny bit up or down on the dial, and it completely screws-up the water level in the overflow box. So I tend to leave the pump speed alone. Any advice?

Bccarty151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't adjust it a full click.....turn it an 1/8 inch and wait 12 hours to see how it responds....I don't try and keep mine at the millimeter level they recommend (don't have that kind of time lol).....I just keep it where it's quiet. Hope this helps

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Reefer 525xl for about 1.5months now. I upgraded from a smaller tank, and I love the Reefer so far. But I'm having trouble adjusting the flow in the downflow pipe for the sump. According to a video from Red Sea, the water level in the overflow should be around 1-2cm below the top of the middle pipe, but I'm having trouble keeping it there. I adjust the dial on the downflow pipe and then let it sit for over an hour. Once I get the water level dialed-in, it often lowers itself slowly over time (over a couple of days) to a point where the level is so low, there's air coming down the downflow pipe. So I adjust the downflow dial up one "click" and then give it time. Even after just one click, it raises the water level too high and the water goes into the overflow tube. One click back down, and the water level is too low again (I get air coming down the downpipe). I can't seem to find a sweet spot. I'm running a Current eFlux variable speed pump at roughly 1100-1300gph. I've tried to see what effect the pump speed has on water level in the overflow, and the pump speed is very touchy. A tiny bit up or down on the dial, and it completely screws-up the water level in the overflow box. So I tend to leave the pump speed alone. Any advice?
Try slowing down the pump a good amount and closing the drain some more to match. Slowing down the rate of water going through your drains might help

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im following this, as I sort of have the same issue on my RSRXL200

I have found a few things that affected the overflow chamber water level.
1. I have two MP10's high on the back glass, and depending on the flow rate, and setting, it seemed to push more water into the overflow inlets (sides).
2. I had my Tunze 3155 ATO line a little too low in the sump, and this was adding more water (by siphon) to the return pump chamber- resulting in a rise in the overflow level.
3. I feel like this has the least impact, but making sure my filter floss is changed every 1-2 days, so that I dont cause any variable flow rate.

To the above... agree with slight adjustments, though they should take position within 5 minutes not 12 hours.
To this day, and its been a couple months.... issue still persists. One of the main issues is this will cause is a fluctuation with your salinity, usually in the form of dropping it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I adjusted my gate valve such that the water level in the overflow is just at the edge of the emergency overflow tube. There will be the occasional 'drip' down the emergency overflow, but otherwise this keeps the tank extremely quiet. As suggested, don't turn the gate valve a full click. Maybe an 1/8th of a click at a time (open or close) and wait about 5-10 minutes between adjustments. It's important to keep your pump speed at a fixed rate while you're doing this as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Adjusting the dial less than one "click" seems to work slightly better, but I still find myself having to adjust after a couple of days. It's annoying.

I contacted Red Sea about the issue, and they told me it's normal to have to adjust the downflow knob every now and then. Not the answer I wanted to receive, but at least they answered.

I'll also try reducing my return pump speed to see if that helps level things out a bit.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easier with a DC pump - especially if you can adjust in increments of less than 10%. Try adjusting it so the water is at the edge of your emergency overflow. Yes, every now and then you’ll hear a slight trickle - but this will eliminate any and all gurgling through the main overflow.

Btw, I haven’t touched mine since I dialed it in 5 months ago.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I adjusted my gate valve such that the water level in the overflow is just at the edge of the emergency overflow tube. There will be the occasional 'drip' down the emergency overflow, but otherwise this keeps the tank extremely quiet. As suggested, don't turn the gate valve a full click. Maybe an 1/8th of a click at a time (open or close) and wait about 5-10 minutes between adjustments. It's important to keep your pump speed at a fixed rate while you're doing this as well. Good luck!
This was my approach also but always have to readjust after a water change but keeping it right at the edge works best.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my approach also but always have to readjust after a water change but keeping it right at the edge works best.
Really? If I replace with too much water my pump chamber just gets a bit higher and the ATO shuts off until the excess evaporates. If I’m on the low side the ATO starts kicking in early and I end up having to refill it sooner than I normally do. This is with the stock gravity fed ATO.

My pumps turn down to 10% 3x a day for automatic feeding, 1x per day when the fish/corals get their first main feeding and down to 5% for the second fish feeding. All my water levels return to normal within 30-60 seconds.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? If I replace with too much water my pump chamber just gets a bit higher and the ATO shuts off until the excess evaporates. If I’m on the low side the ATO starts kicking in early and I end up having to refill it sooner than I normally do. This is with the stock gravity fed ATO.

My pumps turn down to 10% 3x a day for automatic feeding, 1x per day when the fish/corals get their first main feeding and down to 5% for the second fish feeding. All my water levels return to normal within 30-60 seconds.
Mine doesn't seem to do this. I shut everything off for water change and after finishing the water level is typically very low in the return box even after few hours so I end up turning the valve to bring it back to the overflow edge.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't seem to do this. I shut everything off for water change and after finishing the water level is typically very low in the return box even after few hours so I end up turning the valve to bring it back to the overflow edge.
Trust me - my tank is living proof this is achievable. If this is set perfectly your display will be balanced and your sump (temporarily) unbalanced.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Red Sea Reefer XL425 since 2018. When it was brand new I could usually adjust the valve to maintain the water level for a week or two, but it would require adjustment every few weeks. As the tank got older, and I assume the valve got dirty, it needed adjustment every few days. By the beginning of 2021 it needed adjustment every few hours and drove me crazy.

For reasons not related to that valve, I ended up tearing down my tank and replacing the stock Red Sea sump with a Trigger Systems Platinum sump with an integrated roller filter, and I re-did all the plumbing including replacing the Red Sea valve with a regular gate valve. It's been running now for 4 months and I have not needed to adjust the gate valve at all. It's SO MUCH BETTER!!!

1631939637748.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef ”Tearing down your tank” would be an understatement! I see a lot of aluminum bracing where none should exist... And your new sump is probably bigger than my stock 750XXL. Nicely done sir!
Yes, it was quite a process to fit a 34” sump in a space meant for a 28” sump, but it worked out well! Full rebuild thread with photos here:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Red Sea Reefer XL425 since 2018. When it was brand new I could usually adjust the valve to maintain the water level for a week or two, but it would require adjustment every few weeks. As the tank got older, and I assume the valve got dirty, it needed adjustment every few days. By the beginning of 2021 it needed adjustment every few hours and drove me crazy.

For reasons not related to that valve, I ended up tearing down my tank and replacing the stock Red Sea sump with a Trigger Systems Platinum sump with an integrated roller filter, and I re-did all the plumbing including replacing the Red Sea valve with a regular gate valve. It's been running now for 4 months and I have not needed to adjust the gate valve at all. It's SO MUCH BETTER!!!

1631939637748.png
Do you run an external ATO outside the cabinet now? Beautiful sump and piping set up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me - my tank is living proof this is achievable. If this is set perfectly your display will be balanced and your sump (temporarily) unbalanced.
Cool, seems like most aren't able to achieve this balance with red sea tanks. Mine does fine for the most part but I leave it at the edge of the drain pipe. After a water change an adjustment will be needed.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run an external ATO outside the cabinet now? Beautiful sump and piping set up.
I’ve used my 75 gallon mixing station RO/DI storage tank as my ATO reservoir since day one, even back when I had the original Red Sea sump. I converted its small reservoir into a refugium during my original build.

7EC3D8AB-5065-4EFC-A7FB-9602B13637BF.jpeg

98118685-4350-4037-A806-40A8C201AFD4.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie style drains will almost always require periodic adjustments due to slight variations in flow (slime in pipes, return pump flow changes, etc). Early on was worse for my RSR but now maybe once/twice a month I'll hear more than a gurgle and need to adjust.

Found best if a slight trickle flow is going down the emergency drain. That gave me more time between adjustments.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used my 75 gallon mixing station RO/DI storage tank as my ATO reservoir since day one, even back when I had the original Red Sea sump. I converted its small reservoir into a refugium during my original build.

7EC3D8AB-5065-4EFC-A7FB-9602B13637BF.jpeg

98118685-4350-4037-A806-40A8C201AFD4.jpeg
Wow that's Sea World level very nice

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making smaller adjustments (less than one "click") seems to help. The water level in the overflow chamber still vares, but it seems to stay at a good level, somewhere between too low and too high, with an occasional tiny valve adjustment once a week or so. Much better than going back and forth, making adjustments every day!

Back