Red Sea Reefer G2 350 Build and Order Delivery Timeline

kindaamaznazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Spouse was approved upgrading my 20 gallon long FOWLR tank. I decided to go with the Red Sea Reefer G2 350 Deluxe (72 gallon display and 18 gallon sump), since it came bundled with lights that will grow corals.

Equipment (total spend so far $5140):

Tank: Red Sea Reefer G2 350
Sump: Red Sea V3
Lighting: Red Sea ReefLED 90 x 2
Return Pump: Syncra 4.0
Wave maker: Gyre XF 330 x 2
Skimmer: Reefer RSK-600
Heater: Eheim 200 watt x 2
Sand: CaribSea Live Sand
Rock: CaribSea Base Rock

Stocking Wish List:

Two Spot Bristletooth Tang or Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Coral Beauty Angel
Leopard Wrasse
Firefish
Purple Firefish
Springeri Dottyback
Mandarin Dragonet - after stocking tank and refugium with copepods and keeping an eye on population after wrasse is introduced
Black & White Clownfish x 2 (moving from 20gal)
Royal Gramma (moving from 20gal)
Yellow Watchman Goby w/Pistol Shrimp Pair (moving from 20 gal)

Reefer G2 350 Order-To-Delivery Timeline, TX to Southern IN:

Order placed: Monday, May 23rd
Order shipped from Red Sea: Friday May 27th (text from carrier to arrange delivery time window)
Order delivered: Wednesday June 1st

Order arrived pretty quick after ordering. Red Sea ships out on Fridays and Monday was a holiday, so I was really happy with a Wednesday delivery. Tank and Stand ships on a pallet and shrink wrapped. The tank itself was well packaged to protect the glass. I'll be adding more pictures as I get the stand and tank set up.

tank.jpg

OP
OP
K

kindaamaznazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting it wet! This will take a couple days since my RODI system can only process 2 gallons an hour.

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 254
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 258
OP
OP
K

kindaamaznazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, finally got the tank filled! I love how quiet this system is compared to my 20G with a HOB filter. To speed up cycling, I threw in live sand, rock, and biomedia from my established tank. I also dumped a bottle of Fritz for good measure. Tomorrow I'll drop some ammonia and test the water. I'm hoping that since bacteria should already be present, then I can get started on stocking.

The first fish I'm looking at is the leopard wrasse. My LFS has one and they are notorious for not handling stress of transport. Since it's not recommended to QT due to this, I'm thinking that if I can add it first and it'll be psuedo-quarantined anyway if I hold off on moving over the fish from my 20G.

Any suggestions on other filter media to add to the sump? Can I go ahead and seed the refugium with copepods or wait until I get some fish?

tank5.jpg

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on other filter media to add to the sump? Can I go ahead and seed the refugium with copepods or wait until I get some fish?
Nice setup!

If you have the ability definitely get the ReefMat. Its awesome and way better than filter socks.

I'm running a refugium with chaeto. The AI Fuge light has been amazing. Grows like mad.

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for seeding with copepods, you could but I'd wait till you cycle first. I didnt add chaeto, pods, phyto, or anything till I cycled. Without a source for Nitrate your chaeto won't have anything to eat and your pods or phyto either. You could but there's not much point right IMO

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Spouse was approved upgrading my 20 gallon long FOWLR tank. I decided to go with the Red Sea Reefer G2 350 Deluxe (72 gallon display and 18 gallon sump), since it came bundled with lights that will grow corals.

Equipment (total spend so far $5140):

Tank: Red Sea Reefer G2 350
Sump: Red Sea V3
Lighting: Red Sea ReefLED 90 x 2
Return Pump: Syncra 4.0
Wave maker: Gyre XF 330 x 2
Skimmer: Reefer RSK-600
Heater: Eheim 200 watt x 2
Sand: CaribSea Live Sand
Rock: CaribSea Base Rock

Stocking Wish List:

Two Spot Bristletooth Tang or Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Coral Beauty Angel
Leopard Wrasse
Firefish
Purple Firefish
Springeri Dottyback
Mandarin Dragonet - after stocking tank and refugium with copepods and keeping an eye on population after wrasse is introduced
Black & White Clownfish x 2 (moving from 20gal)
Royal Gramma (moving from 20gal)
Yellow Watchman Goby w/Pistol Shrimp Pair (moving from 20 gal)

Reefer G2 350 Order-To-Delivery Timeline, TX to Southern IN:

Order placed: Monday, May 23rd
Order shipped from Red Sea: Friday May 27th (text from carrier to arrange delivery time window)
Order delivered: Wednesday June 1st

Order arrived pretty quick after ordering. Red Sea ships out on Fridays and Monday was a holiday, so I was really happy with a Wednesday delivery. Tank and Stand ships on a pallet and shrink wrapped. The tank itself was well packaged to protect the glass. I'll be adding more pictures as I get the stand and tank set up.

tank.jpg
Just found this thread today and I am doing the exact same upgrade as you. Going from a 20 long to a Reefer 350 G2. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on your build! Funny enough I'm also 2 hours south of you

yuppie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, finally got the tank filled! I love how quiet this system is compared to my 20G with a HOB filter. To speed up cycling, I threw in live sand, rock, and biomedia from my established tank. I also dumped a bottle of Fritz for good measure. Tomorrow I'll drop some ammonia and test the water. I'm hoping that since bacteria should already be present, then I can get started on stocking.

The first fish I'm looking at is the leopard wrasse. My LFS has one and they are notorious for not handling stress of transport. Since it's not recommended to QT due to this, I'm thinking that if I can add it first and it'll be psuedo-quarantined anyway if I hold off on moving over the fish from my 20G.

tank5.jpg

Time for an update!

HC_79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally looking at the Red Sea Max S Series and have been contemplating on getting one for years. Now The Reefer G2 looks appealing to me. From past experience living in warmer climates I had issues with keeping the water cool (resorted to ice buckets in sump at times). Learning many lessons from my previous marine tank buildouts this time I want all my bases covered from day 1.

Has anyone installed a chiller in this tank? If so, what brand integrates well into the cabinet etc. Are they relatively quiet?I live in SoCal with consistently 90 to 100 degree days over summer. The house has A/C but would be more relaxed knowing the tank has its own dedicated chiller.

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally looking at the Red Sea Max S Series and have been contemplating on getting one for years. Now The Reefer G2 looks appealing to me. From past experience living in warmer climates I had issues with keeping the water cool (resorted to ice buckets in sump at times). Learning many lessons from my previous marine tank buildouts this time I want all my bases covered from day 1.

Has anyone installed a chiller in this tank? If so, what brand integrates well into the cabinet etc. Are they relatively quiet?I live in SoCal with consistently 90 to 100 degree days over summer. The house has A/C but would be more relaxed knowing the tank has its own dedicated chiller.

When you had your previous tanks did you have metal halides? When I had those in the past I always struggled with overheating. The new LED fixtures run very cool. I also had a hood cover but now I just run open top. The evaporative cooling seems to help. I live in Idaho where the highs in the summer can be 100-105. I have my AC set to 75 during the day.

You can probably find a chiller that fits in the Red Sea cabinet but if it were me I'd wait to see if you need one. If you're worried you could setup some cooling fans to blow air across the tank\sump if it gets too warm. If your AC is working then I think you should be fine.

HC_79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you had your previous tanks did you have metal halides? When I had those in the past I always struggled with overheating. The new LED fixtures run very cool. I also had a hood cover but now I just run open top. The evaporative cooling seems to help. I live in Idaho where the highs in the summer can be 100-105. I have my AC set to 75 during the day.

You can probably find a chiller that fits in the Red Sea cabinet but if it were me I'd wait to see if you need one. If you're worried you could setup some cooling fans to blow air across the tank\sump if it gets too warm. If your AC is working then I think you should be fine.
Good point. They were fluorescent lights (4 of them) and had a hood on the tank. I see most the tanks are now designed hoodless which I was a little concerned over open air and house ending up smelling like the sea but others have said the smell is more in the sump area thats enclosed anyway.

I see lots of things have changed when it comes to the equipment so need to get myself back up to speed. One thing for sure though, the hobby certainly hasn't become any cheaper :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size hose is that return line? It didn't come with any and it seems to be an awkward size

Chris's reef journey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I ordered a new Red Sea Reefer 425G2 from SaltwaterAqaruims.com Monday last week for the thanksgiving sale. I still do not have a ship date! I called SaltwaterAqariums.com today to see what is going on and was told Red Sea is behind on shipping due to the massive amount of orders they received over the holiday sale. This is killing me all I am looking for is a ship date. I am one week and two days in with no ship date. Has anyone else experienced this??

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back