Red Sea Reefer overflow box water level too low

ebranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in the overflow box of my new Red Sea Reefer seems too low. About 3-4 inches below the emergency drain pipe. And there is a horribly loud gurgling sound from the main down flow pipe. I’ve adjusted the valve I’ve the tank over and over, waiting in between each adjustment, but the water level in the overflow box doesn’t change at all. Any idea what I could do to address!

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got through adjusting my 425XL, it's a PITA.

I adjusted the valve over and over for weeks and couldn't get the sound to go away.

I eventually added a whole bunch more water that raised the level in the overflow to the level of the emergency drain and raised the level in the return pump chamber in the sump. I adjusted the valve all over again and got it silent. After a day or so the level in the overflow dropped to about 1 inch below the emergency pipe but the return pump chamber level stayed where it was. I think it kind of evened itself out with evaporation.

I have my ATO set to this new level with the sensor in the return pump chamber. Make sure you are running your ATO as if I turn mine off and leave it and the level in the tank changes the gurgling starts again and takes a while to sort out.

HTH.

OP
OP
E

ebranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Doesn’t adding that much more water raise the level of water in your sump too high?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Doesn’t adding that much more water raise the level of water in your sump too high?
Not really, it will just fill the over flow box up as the valve will only allow a certain amount through the inlet. You just need to play with the valve and return pump. Took mine a while to settle.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I found I had to adjust the return flow speed in my cor-20 to get it to balance out, I think I knocked it from 100% down to 90% as I just couldn't get it to balance with 100%

It took me a month and then after I filled it higher and attached the ATO and totally redid the valve adjustment it finally worked.

I searched heaps for guides etc as well and couldn't find anything useful unfortunately.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back