Red Sea Reefer overflow issue

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find the sweet spot when adjusting overflow. It’s either not enough drainage and water is going down emergency drain or not enough and it’s loud. Anyone else have similar issues or ideas to fix?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dial requires really miniscule movements to adjust. It quite difficult to get dialed in - particularily if you have really high, varied flow because the water flow into the overflow changes constantly. I changed my plumbing to all hard plumbing and used a gate valve instead, and havent had an issue since. Thats the route I would take (because I did) :D

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could send us a picture of your overflow? We need to know what type it is and how high the pipes are. When the pipes enter the sump what does that look like.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as @ksfulk said the RedSea valve takes very very minor adjustments. Make a very tiny turn on the valve and give the tank 15 minutes or so to adjust. Keep making these small adjustments and waiting until it is silent and you are satisfied!

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it for two years and I understand the concept of fine tuning this but I’ve found over time it varies for some reason.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same tank and same frustration.

What I've done is:
Squat in front of the tank to look up at the overflow - you can see the water level.
Grab the butterfly valve knob and twist it quickly to full open until you get massive air sucking down, then quickly to full close.
Then quickly back to where you started.
Watch the water level and make small adjustments from there.

I can do this in 30 seconds and get the level stable.
But after a couple weeks I have to repeat the process.
I'm thinking stuff gets on the butterfly valve and causes variation in the flow past it and this helps flush off some debris.
I need to put a camera down the drain some day to confirm my suspicion.
Or tear it down and inspect/clean it.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get mine settled either. It would be perfect for 2 weeks, Id make no changes in flow or power heads then it gets loud via the 2nd drain. I gave up and replaced it with regular Spears gate valve and havent had a problem since.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get mine settled either. It would be perfect for 2 weeks, Id make no changes in flow or power heads then it gets loud via the 2nd drain. I gave up and replaced it with regular Spears gate valve and havent had a problem since.

I need to do the valve modification on my 525 too. Exact same issue. It will be fine for 10 - 14 days then all of a sudden it starts sucking water down the secondary pipe. Very annoying when it happens at 3:30 in the morning (like it did Tuesday) and wakes you up in a panic because you're half asleep and you hear loud water and think the tank is flooding the house.

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate everyone’s input on the matter, thank you. I’m going to try to clean out the one I have and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna go with a gate valve.

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the part number(s) needed to do the installation?

051ae0f3030a1d55861746c63b82f098.jpg

This is what I used but beware I did modifications to make it work. I basically removed Red Sea valve and added a union onto 1” pvc. There are threads on how to do it smoother.

badfishaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea needs to re-design the plumbing and sump for the Reefer 750. I wish I got paid for the hours of time wasted messing with that terrible gate valve. This could be a trivial subject but if you buy any substantially sized protein skimmer, it won't fit into the first chamber of the sump, so you have to run it in the 3rd chamber (what I see as the refugium). The sump is poorly partitioned with a removable refugium wall so it would be difficult to use either chamber as an actual refugium without all of the plant matter and other waste particulates getting into your bubble trap or flowing into the skimmer chamber. I think the idea is to run the refugium before the skimmer but from everything I've read that's not a great idea. Maybe I am being picky, but as a new reefer, I tend to follow what the majority are doing as best practice. Another fun thing that Red Sea needs to change is how they package the tanks, you can't just build the stand and then have your friends come over and help you move the tank, you have to unfortunately discover that some of the stand pieces are under the tank that any (2) people can't reasonably lift (I recommend 4 for safety). So you have to get help moving the tank twice over stupid packaging order. I love my tank and am really enthusiastic to the hobby but Red Sea needs to take feedback and continuously improve their products or others will surpass them. Hopefully enough of our complaints on forums like this will help.

P.S. The information shared on this thread was helpful, I am also switching to a spears gate as well as adding a ball valve before the gate so I can simply shut off the drain when needed without messing with the gate setting.

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Spears valve because I could not get the stock valve to hold a consistent water level in the overflow. And even with the Spears valve the level seems to fluctuate? You guys who have done this have no issues with the water level in the overflow going up and down?

Maybe my return pump is fluctuating in the amount of water it is pumping causing this? I am using a sicce pump dialed back some. Are you guys using adjustable DC pumps by chance?
04E07B80-9733-4737-9C05-771B3E7F42F2.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back