Red Sea Reefer Owners: Do you use stock ATO?

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a Reefer 350 and had planned to use a Tunze ATO because they seem to be respected as very safe and reliable. I'm now considering using the stock ATO because of its simplicity - gravity fed, no pumps, simple float valve. Plus, I don't think the ATO reservoir is big enough to flood my sump even if the float valve fails.

What's everyone using and why?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a Reefer 350 and had planned to use a Tunze ATO because they seem to be respected as very safe and reliable. I'm now considering using the stock ATO because of its simplicity - gravity fed, no pumps, simple float valve. Plus, I don't think the ATO reservoir is big enough to flood my sump even if the float valve fails.

I use my own ATO with an optical sensor and don’t use the RS reservoir either. I have the Tunze osmolator too but don’t like keeping the reservoir outside the tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the S650 but the original ATO is the same as the reefers but I use both a Tunze Osmolator and the Apex ATK in my systems, but backing these up in both tanks are the basic gravity fed ATOs including a gravity one built by me in my big tank..

My main reason is I need much bigger ATO reservoirs

Theres nothing wrong with the float system it works as is should, even though is very basic, mine has never failed and hence ultimate back up in the event of electronic failure.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres nothing wrong with the float system it works as is should, even though is very basic, mine has never failed and hence ultimate back up in the event of electronic failure.

I'm using the 250 but I could simply never get mine to work right. I consistently got periods of my pump blasing bubbles. I ended up putting a pump based ATO with light sensor into the existing ATO. This has the advantage that when I go on holiday I just shift the pump to sit in a bigger bucket of RODI water.

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 350 as well, and I do not use the stock ATO. I ended up buying a separate (10g) ATO reservoir and buying the Neptune ATK ... since I already had an Apex-EL controller.

The space is limited in the sump area; especially if you try to setup a refugium later.

The stock one is also pretty small, so I was refilling it multiple times are week which sort of defeats the purpose.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On my 350 I use an osmolator with a 10 gallon container next to the tank. I don’t really like having the container next to the tank, but it beats filling up the stock ato tank. Also it allows me to have the Tunze algae reactor in the sump without worrying about room to slide out the filter sock holder. I use filter floss and carbon in bags in cups and without the ato tank I can easily just reach in and pull out the floss and carbon to change it.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a Reefer 250 and currently have a 525. I used the ATO on both, however I eventually want to run a line to my garage and have it come straight out of my RODI tank.

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use the stock ATO. The float valve does clog up easily and I try to clean it every water change.

Agree with this. I like the stock ATO other than the float valve but I haven't had any issues out of it since I've been cleaning the float whenever I do maintenance anyway.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the stock ATO on the Red Sea tanks. The float valve and the line itself are finicky and inconsistent, and there were several times that I had to manually fill the tank with water because the ATO failed to engage. I had my Tunze going in to fill the ATO, and then had the ATO topping off the tank... but eventually I got tired of having to manually scoop water out of the ATO and pour it into the sump, so I just set up my Tunze directly in the sump.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 250 and RAR 525XL. I use the stock ATO on both because I like the 24x7 operation to maintain stable salinity. I use an ATK in each running once a day to top them up automatically from my RODI reservoir. I run a low and high level optical sump sensor as the FMM used by the ATK has two spare ports. The low level sensor alerts me to the ATO float valve gumming up and needing cleaning. Simple, stable and works.

dlish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this. I like the stock ATO other than the float valve but I haven't had any issues out of it since I've been cleaning the float whenever I do maintenance anyway.
When you say clean the float. What are you cleaning exactly? just kind of scrubbing the linkage to keep it moving freely? Thanks

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 and the stock ATO just wasn’t enough. I had a 20 gallon custom made and lasts about a week.
F48D987C-87DC-4404-B14A-AFDE78131BE3.jpeg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250 with the 3155 ATO and the IM 5 gallon res next to the sump. Perfect fit and doubles as a dosing pump shelf

Attachments

• D6A1142C-1BD7-4EAC-9E98-87EDDA904B24.png
    D6A1142C-1BD7-4EAC-9E98-87EDDA904B24.png
    863.8 KB · Views: 163

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say clean the float. What are you cleaning exactly? just kind of scrubbing the linkage to keep it moving freely? Thanks
To clean mine I turn off the ATO inline valve, dismount the float unit and give it a good careful clean all over with a toothbrush under running water. I try to get the bristles into the pinhole/valve section as much as I can. I also blow out the pinhole to make sure it is clean. Then remount, reconnect and turn the supply line back on.

The main issue I have had is with the acrylic screw that connects the float to the valve - it snaps easily, so be careful. If you need to replace it, they are metric screws and M3x6 works well, easy to find on eBay.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely not using it. The reservoir is way too small, and the ATO itself only appear simple at first blush - I found it to be temperamental and unreliable. I finally just pulled that useless thing out and replaced it entirely with the Tunze with a Trigger reservoir next to the tank. I like the sump SO much more without a clunky tank obstructing access to everything.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back