Red Sea Reefer Owners: Do you use stock ATO?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the I'm 15 gallon reservoir outside tank with tunze ato. I wrap the pump in silicone mat to dampen the noise of it going off since its hitting glass . It's in basement area so I dont mind really . And the 15 gallons last about a week for the 750

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not using it. The reservoir is way too small, and the ATO itself only appear simple at first blush - I found it to be temperamental and unreliable. I finally just pulled that useless thing out and replaced it entirely with the Tunze with a Trigger reservoir next to the tank. I like the sump SO much more without a clunky tank obstructing access to everything.

I did the same - Tunze with a Trigger Trident reservoir. I've had been contemplating turning the stock ATO into a refugium, thinking about how to plumb it and how I would have to push it around. Then I saw the chaeto sandwich thread. I'm going to try running this in the built-in refugium for a while. I would REALLY like to get that ATO tank out of the way.

IMG_0874.jpeg

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say clean the float. What are you cleaning exactly? just kind of scrubbing the linkage to keep it moving freely? Thanks
Ya pretty much make sure no salt build up or any thing to obstruct it. If you let it run dry you might need to clear air out of the line if you didn't shorten the line it comes with.

The ATO isn't the best for sure, but it does work well and doesn't require another plug which is why I keep it.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 625 and never even planned on using the ATO. I needed something I didn’t need to refill very often. I started out with a 15g ATO tank now I use a 55g tank that is in my garage.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 170 I use a GHL optical sensor with a back-up lower float sensor (in case the optical fails). Each controls two pumps (where the second pump comes on only if the first one fails).

I haven't done this yet, but if I go away for a week I will hook up the R.S. reservoir as a second backup. If my 2 GHL sensors or pumps all fail, then the R.S. float/reservoir will kick in. Luckily, the R.S. float is positioned so it is the lowest point of the three controls.

Attreui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 750XXL and use the Red Sea ATO. I have never had an issue with it. I refill it twice a week with a hose from the garage RO storage tank. Takes me 2 mins to refill. When I do water changes I just pull off the hose from the reservoir and blow air through it to remove any salt build up in the float. I haven't had a clog or issue in 3 years.

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never once got the original red sea to work. Bought this the first week and my only regret is not getting the 15 gallon, thought I might not be able to house it under the display if I had it.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a Reefer 350 and had planned to use a Tunze ATO because they seem to be respected as very safe and reliable. I'm now considering using the stock ATO because of its simplicity - gravity fed, no pumps, simple float valve. Plus, I don't think the ATO reservoir is big enough to flood my sump even if the float valve fails.

What's everyone using and why?
While using a optical sensor ato on my other tank it has failed me twice. Emptying the reservoir. My original float valve on my Red Sea has remained infallible. Only drawback is the size of the reservoir

Back