Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 - The Immovable Object

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to my stand failing (end panel was bowing) Red Sea sent me a replacement stand. Swapping stands on a tank this size was a metric farkton of work but at least they did what they could.

The new stand is in place. I was able to retain my larger rock structure without much change and only minor damage to the smaller one. Lost one of my Acro frags in the process but all in all my livestock are doing well. After a recent outbreak of velvet I had to leave my tank fallow anyway so that's a small silver lining. The tank is currently about 2/3rds full with just some water movement and heaters going right now. I'll finish plumbing the sump back in tonight I think.

Things were going really well until I knocked over the large vase I use for my ATO reservoir. Fortunately it didn't break but it did dump several gallons of water on my floor. I also managed to drop my Apex base unit into a bucket of vinegar. I think it's fairly dry at this point so I will try to plug it in tonight and hope for the best.

Fish are all in my 40G hospital tank that is being treated with copper. The whitetail bristletooth (the jerk who caused all this velvet I believe) is such a wimp and hides most of the time but everyone else is doing well. The watchman is NOT happy to be separated from his pistol shrimp buddy.

One more silver lining. Having the tank in a fallow period will let me really cut down on nutrient import and hopefully finish off the rest of the bubble algae problem. Now that this is dealt with I can get back to finishing my T5/AP700 hybrid fixture and trying to get my stupid Maxspect gyres to actually work for more than a few weeks.

20180907_074113.jpg

I will be going slow and starting with a complete dry rock scape. I want to avoid some of the pest issues I had in my first reef. I've had my cube for 6 years now and I'm overdue for an upgrade. The new house is a great time to do this. Plus thanks to a recent online sale my tank will look like a frag tank for the foreseeable future.

Tank -
Reefer 650 in white
I'm going to cover the bottom in either starboard or ABS. This will accomplish a few things. Part of the tank I'd like to be truly bare bottom and grow zoas and/or encrusting montis etc. and they will grow better on the plastic than glass. I also hate the look of partially coralline covered glass.

The scape I have in mind will be more or less a curving ridgeline. The idea is to have a sand area on the lower flow side with the scape acting as a dam. This will keep my watchman/pistol combo happy and let me keep narrius and other sand dwellers. If sand get's kicked to the BB side I'll just vacuum it up. If I wind up hating the sand I can always suck it all out. Using some powerheads I want the top of the ridge to see very high flow, along with the steeper cliff "face". The far end of the peninsula will have some sort of small but powerful powerhead to keep water moving back towards the return. (inspiration pics) scape.jpg inspiration 1.JPG inspiration 2.JPG

If I'm planning this correctly the scape will give me very distinct views for each side of the tank. Many peninsulas seem to more or less look like the same tank on either side. The low flow side will allow me to keep Euphillia and the like happy, with high light SPS on the ridge top (probably acros) and lower light SPS on the cliff.

Pumps -
Neptune Core 20. Gives me extra GPH if I want to run a manifold off it at some point and unlike the 15 can be run standalone if my Apex blows up etc. I wanted the quietest pump possible and the reviews say they are nearly silent. Controllability is also desirable so I can future proof my GPH needs.

I will test out flow in the empty tank and then with my scape before I start cycling. I believe I will pick up a large Maxspect Gyre to be mounted back top middle on the overflow. To either side of the overflows I'll either add another Gyre or something like a WAV/Tunze/Vortech. Opposite the return I'm considering the Tunze nanostream AC pump because of the small form factor and because I won't need controllability. It will be there just to keep water moving to the return.

General approach -
Rely on fuge as much as possible. Add skimmer according to nutrient need and as space allows. The tank will be in my living room and viewable from the kitchen. I want to run a very basic PVC drain from the wall into the sump compartment for WCs and for misc water dumping. If I go auto WC route using a dose I'll run the clean water line through the same pipe with a reservoir in the basement. (TBD, the price tag is already climbing)

Dry rock scape will be cycled, (curse a bunch) then the fuge will be fired up (curse more), then will slowly start adding fish and corals (look at credit card bills and curse then cry a little).

Lighting -
LED/T5 hybrid. This will be a DIY version similar to the aquatic life fixture. Personally, I hate the look of hanging lights so I'm going to do something a little different.

I was already thinking about using some type of tank mount when I found this thread. He used 80/20 aluminum to build an arm. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/davids-red-sea-reefer-peninsula-500-build.348465/

The difference is that I will be basically building a floating hood out of this stuff as well. It will have 2 supports on the overflow side of the stand, then connecting to a rectangle that will house 2-4 T5s and a Kessil AP700 with my A360NE (possibly swapped out for a 2nd Ap700 depending on how the can looks. 8020 track.JPG

The corners will be mitered and I will bondo them if there is any gap. They make some nice flush mounts for aluminum sheeting and that will be the top of the hood with ports drilled for venting. The whole thing will get painted a nice glossy white to match the stand as close as possible. There will be nothing hanging from the ceiling and no visible cords hanging down as the cords will route through the tracks. The track is just tall enough to mount a slim T5 retrofit solution and the AP700s so they won't be visible. Ideally I'd like to be able to easily adjust the height but I haven't found a bracket from 80/20 that will work for that. I suppose the height won't change often and it's rare that I would need to remove the whole thing for access. This stuff is quite strong (and not all that heavy) and I expect very little deflection. Any I get should be easy to adjust for.

Dosing/ATO -
I'm likely going straight to a 2 part as I anticipate plenty of demand for DkH so 2 Neptune doses will be used. 1 for dosing and one for water changes. The built in reefer RO reservoir may get converted into a secondary fuge. If not I'll still supplement with a decorative ATO container outside the stand running with my aquasmart ATO if it can keep up.

Extras -
My winning personality (I can't remember what I intended to add to this section)

Fuge -
Will start with clean chaeto and maybe sea lettuce. Lighting will be handled by my old makers LED fixture. Right now it was 28 leds with a standard blue/white mix. I have plenty of room on the heat sync so I just ordered 16 assorted red LEDs that I'll mount to the sink as well. This will give me over 100watts of light with a good spectrum mix.

Skimmer - TBD

Controls -
Neptune apex, particularly as I plan on implementing the trident down the road.

RODI - 5 stage 150gpd water saver from BRS is on it's way.

My next update will be of me adding the red LEDs and testing them and playing with the RO.

#reef2reef, #worldwidecorals,[URL='http://www.reef2reef.com/hashtags/mywwccontest/'] #mywwccontest[/URL]

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking forward to this build!!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI delivered.

20180523_202535.jpg

I was planning on scraping with totally dry rock. That would delay me but make the process either. I decided to get a jumpstart on cycling so I ordered 50lbs of reefcleaners rock and I will cycle it in a Brute. By the time I'm ready to scape it should be pretty well seeded. At that point I'll fill in with more dry rock and maybe a couple of inspected pieces from my cube.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repurposed fuge light is more or less ready to go. It's ugly now, but I'll be putting out plenty of PAR for the chaeto (should be about 120 watts). Don't mind the ugly soldering job. Also got in a marine pure block that will go in the trashcan along with my dry rock shipment to start curing. That's going to make aquascaping a little bit more difficult but should save me a lot of time in cycling. Picked up a small piece of 80/20 to test some paint on as well. 20180527_171711.jpg 20180527_171705.jpg

Edit. My LED is now crazy bright. The reds aren't as visually bright as the other colors but my algae should like it.

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is gonna be a nice tank ... love the idea for the aquascape .. well thought out !!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex and a Dos are on the way. I wasn't sure about the auto WC route but I've decided that as an SPS noob I need all the help I can get. I ordered it early because I can start doing auto WCs on my cube which will save me some work and give me a chance to play with the Apex before the big tank gets here. For dosing I'm ordered 2 of the BRS dosing pumps using their 2 part solution. I'm also planning on dosing the red sea colors system. The reef cleaners rock is back ordered but it should be here next week and then everybody will get tossed into the pool.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing with the Apex and Dos now. Got the auto WC working on the cube so that is looking promising. Couple pics of the frags that are holding in my cube until the new tank is ready. 20180530_100924.jpg

20180530_101005.jpg

20180530_104107.jpg

Thanks for the photobomb buddy.

I have the rock beginning to cycle as well. About 10lbs of leftover rock and another 50 lbs coming from reefcleaners in a few days. The marine pure block is in there as well. I have a hitchhiker hermit and a chocolate chip star in there as well to provide some bioload. I went ahead and ordered the AP700 to start playing with it as well. I expect to order the tank in two weeks so that it will be delivered right after I close on the house and I can begin setup. My cube will slowly transition to a QT tank as the Reefer starts coming online.

Initial fish stocking will be my biting lawn mower blenny (he's so little but really hates my hand), yellow watchman/tiger pistol pair, the cardinal, and my pair of clowns. I will probably add a wrasse or two and some tangs after it's ready. From there I will see how the tank feels/looks.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180608_200642.jpg 20180608_200659.jpg 50lbs of reefcleaners rock, 20lbs of shelf rock from BRS, some rubble, and a large marine pure block are all in the pool taking a swim with some Dr. Tims and my lonely starfish. I have another 50lbs of reefcleaners rock coming but I won't have room in the trashcan so it will probably stay dry.

This is a very rough and dirty approximation of what I'm envisioning for the scape. The shelf rock will work great as the base. I will blend in the large pieces to make it seem like a single structure. It really bugs me when I can pick out individual rocks in a scape. The final version will be larger and have a more pronounced curve, but this quickie shows off the sheer cliff side vs the sloping side vs the steady rise as you see from the end of the peninsula. I will try to include some gaps through the whole thing but we will see how that works. I'm planning on grabbing some large masonry bits and going to town with my hammer drill and or a chisel.

I will update the stocking list once I get closer to the build but I have about a dozen nice acro frags, several nice chalices, a couple euphilia, some blastos and trumpets, my Duncan and maybe 15 different zoa colonies to get things going. 20180608_200649.jpg 20180608_200659.jpg 20180608_200642.jpg 20180608_200504.jpg

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting update. I finalized the material I'll be using for the fixture. I was initially going to use the thicker style but found the skinner version by accident. It will be plenty strong enough for this application. The pics below show about what the face will look like before painting and my plan for 4 t5s and the two AP700s.

The actual pieces will be mitered from 80/20 and I'll use some putty as necessary to eliminate gaps. Hopefully it will look like one solid piece. The height is just about perfect as it covers the T5 retro pieces with some left over. I'm trying to decide if I want to make the fixture the same dimensions as the tank or just large enough for the lights. I'm leaning towards making it smaller, if anything to save on materials but I'm not sure which would look better. I don't have T5 experience so I attempted to put together a blended color so that I can operate the T5s and Kessils separately depending on how I like the look. 1 each of ATI blue plus, true actinic, coral plus, and purple plus. I'm hoping I can get my plan completed and materials ordered this weekend. Tank will be ordered next week!

Mockup of the front view.
20180615_002137.jpg

Topside view of the material.
20180615_002119.jpg

The wider style that I won't be using.
20180615_002157.jpg

3/4 view
20180615_002144.jpg

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to the local 80/20 place today. These are my rough drawings. I don't think the weight of the 2 ap700s and 4 retro T5s will be an issue because this stuff is pretty strong. The good thing about the t5 retro is that the ballasts can be located remotely. The fixture will only need to support about 15 pounds without deflecting. If it bends a tiny bit I can adjust the whole thing. Absolute worse case I could connect a high strength piece of fishing line to the far end and connect that to the ceiling. That would be nearly invisible and would only need to support a few pounds.

Ideally I'd like to use the dynamic pivots so I can lift the whole thing up and out of the way. If they are worried about deflection then I can ditch that and add simple 45 degree supports like I have pictured below. I figure even a few inches of cantilever on the horizontal pieces will add a ton of strength to the whole thing.
fix1.JPG fix2.JPG

I can't take delivery of the tank until July 3rd so BRS advised me to order it this upcoming Monday. Getting closer!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be in my hands on Friday. Still trying to coordinate with the local 80/20 distributor on my fixture parts. If I don't have that in time worst case I can just run the Ap700s while it sort it out. I figure I am several weeks out from needing lights on the tank anyway. Rock should be cycled pretty well at this point. I definitely bought more than I needed but hopefully that helps me scape like I want. I picked up some sheets of textured ABS to go on the bottom.

Getting some crazy PE on these new stylophoras.

20180701_113302.jpg

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...seems like you're making quick progress. Good luck with your move!

I'd be pretty nervous about cantilevering your lights out ~60". I think you'd be much safer and better off hanging the far end from the ceiling above. 80/20 is super strong and it won't break under that kind of load, but it will definitely sag either in the material or at the joints, or both. I'd be willing to bet it's never perfectly level along the whole length, it will always be drooping just enough to be annoying.

If you really want a true cantilever, in my opinion you either need a much longer back-span (20"+) or you need to make the cantilevered structure taller (like 8-12")...

Excited to see how this build develops!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...seems like you're making quick progress. Good luck with your move!

I'd be pretty nervous about cantilevering your lights out ~60". I think you'd be much safer and better off hanging the far end from the ceiling above. 80/20 is super strong and it won't break under that kind of load, but it will definitely sag either in the material or at the joints, or both. I'd be willing to bet it's never perfectly level along the whole length, it will always be drooping just enough to be annoying.

If you really want a true cantilever, in my opinion you either need a much longer back-span (20"+) or you need to make the cantilevered structure taller (like 8-12")...

Excited to see how this build develops!
Thanks. I keep going back and forth on whether that will work or not. The final weight of lights will be under 20lbs so really the 80/20 will just support itself. I think I'm going to give it a shot with the longest cantilver I can manage and if it sags too much I'll just remove the verticals and hang it from the ceiling in defeat. ;) What do you mean by making the structure taller? I've also wondered if I could add some type of ballast to the cantilever side to keep the joints from sagging. Of course the more things I do to avoid that then I start to detract from the clean look I'm aiming for.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/davids-red-sea-reefer-peninsula-500-build.348465/
This guy reported only a slight amount of sagging on this 49" reefer. Granted I'm adding the cross brace at the end but that is split between two verticals, and I hope that the '25-5013 profile has similar resistance to sag and it definitely ways less.

TBD!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found 80/20s deflection calculator. Assuming I can make the joint solid, I'm thinking I'll see a defect of about 1/3 of an inch at the end. If that winds up looking funky I could try for a single hanging support or even adding a short upright down to the tank. I'll know once I take delivery how far I will be placing it from the wall so I can play with my cantilever length then.

deflection1.JPG

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found 80/20s deflection calculator. Assuming I can make the joint solid, I'm thinking I'll see a defect of about 1/3 of an inch at the end. If that winds up looking funky I could try for a single hanging support or even adding a short upright down to the tank. I'll know once I take delivery how far I will be placing it from the wall so I can play with my cantilever length then.

deflection1.JPG

Wow, so cool that they have this deflection calculator! That feels about right to me, in that the actual "beam" will only deflect a small amount since your loading is so small. I think it should actually be a bit less than that if you're still planning on using two 80/20 profiles, one on either side of your fixture. You will double the self-weight of the profiles, but your Profile Load will be divided in half: 6.5lbs each between the two beams. If you recalculate using 6.5lbs that should give you the actual deflection of the aluminum cantilevered beam structure.

It looks like you've got a good start, especially if you can craft a joint between the upright and the cantilevered beam that is as rigid as the one you reference in the other thread.

I do think that your upright is going to flex towards the tank (away from the wall) as well, and a tiny deflection there will result in additional droop at the end of the cantilevered beam. And it's going to be very springy out at the end...like it might bounce when someone walks by the tank. But as you note, you can always add a ceiling cable or an upright out at the end if you don't like it, so I say go for it! I'll be excited to see how it turns out!

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my quick paint test. I think the fixture is going to look really sleek. I used a white metal primer and then a semi-gloss enamel.

20180704_084928.jpg

20180704_084921.jpg

I think I'm mixing up the design a little. If I had a single upright to one corner of the far side of the tank it will give me a pretty sleek appearance without the hassle of dealing with the cantilever option. The uprights will be 25x12.5 mm so will be pretty unobtrusive. I could do 4 corners but I think the 3 corner will make it feel more open (ordered the 4th upright just in case I need it). There is also the bonus that that upright on the far side of the tank will provide a place to route a cord if I wind up needing a power head on that end. My plan is to place floor glides on the uprights to allow for adjustment and to slide the entire fixture out of the way for maintenance. I have all the bits ordered so hopefully the parts will be here in a few weeks.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my quick paint test. I think the fixture is going to look really sleek. I used a white metal primer and then a semi-gloss enamel.

20180704_084928.jpg

20180704_084921.jpg

I think I'm mixing up the design a little. If I had a single upright to one corner of the far side of the tank it will give me a pretty sleek appearance without the hassle of dealing with the cantilever option. The uprights will be 25x12.5 mm so will be pretty unobtrusive. I could do 4 corners but I think the 3 corner will make it feel more open (ordered the 4th upright just in case I need it). There is also the bonus that that upright on the far side of the tank will provide a place to route a cord if I wind up needing a power head on that end. My plan is to place floor glides on the uprights to allow for adjustment and to slide the entire fixture out of the way for maintenance. I have all the bits ordered so hopefully the parts will be here in a few weeks.
That's gonna be sweet! Paint looks great.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back